Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome of the Houston game?
UC wins by 9+ 9 25.00%
UC wins by 5-8 13 36.11%
UC wins by 1-4 9 25.00%
Houston wins 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #501
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
If we were down by more than 8 and needed 3’s in a short amount of timeI could see having Moore in instead of jj or cane, but for the most part I’d like to see Evans off the ball
Moore has been the worst 3 point shooter of the 3 and is at 28% in conference.

i think he's got the shot to grow into it for future years, but he's not ready now
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #502
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Moore has been the worst 3 point shooter of the 3 and is at 28% in conference.

i think he's got the shot to grow into it for future years, but he's not ready now
Gotta get Williams and Moore each a 1st half look so you know who to move forward with on an as needed basis in the 2nd half. No point in having depth if you are limiting your options. Williams gave us a bit of a spark in the game at UCLA. We needed something to spark us to close out the 1st half last night.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #503
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Gotta get Williams and Moore each a 1st half look so you know who to move forward with on an as needed basis in the 2nd half. No point in having depth if you are limiting your options. Williams gave us a bit of a spark in the game at UCLA. We needed something to spark us to close out the 1st half last night.
williams has only played in complete blowouts in conference, he's not a part of the rotation at all. moore has been far more consistent with his minutes and has carved out his role.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #504
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Anyone remember the specific play midway through the second half where Jenifer was dribbling the ball 25 feet away from the hoop and the announcer was dogging him saying his eyes are on the ball and not on his teammates downcourt?
its the same thing temple did to him all game too. pick him up 30 feet from the rim and we can't start any sets. its something he struggles with a great deal and that guy didn't even need to foul him with the reach ins.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #505
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
williams has only played in complete blowouts in conference, he's not a part of the rotation at all. moore has been far more consistent with his minutes and has carved out his role.
I'm saying I think that may be wrong. There are nights where Williams can give us more than Moore.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #506
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
its almost like you need to play a PG when you play basketball.

amazing.
Just reading through. This was funny. Not picking on Mick, I just love sarcasm.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #507
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
its the same thing temple did to him all game too. pick him up 30 feet from the rim and we can't start any sets. its something he struggles with a great deal and that guy didn't even need to foul him with the reach ins.
Yep, that style worked with Caupain, at least in the sense he could still get into the half court offense in that scenario, but Jenifer and Broome both need a quicker moving offense (or a defense playing off you, obviously) to be able to get into offensive sets. I have no problem if Mick decides he wants to run half court offense, but you can't give in to the defense so much that your pg can't even run the point. And that's what he did. He basically just accepted they were going to defend us physically and (literally) walked the offense into it. Now, I get its not truly as simple as saying you want to speed the game up and doing it. A lot of our success on offense comes off defense where we disrupt them enough and can push the ball up quicker where the defense isn't set by time we get the ball to half court and so on, but at the same time you do have to consciously go faster if you want to beat the defense.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #508
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
A few facts. We were out rebounded by 9 boards. We shot 32 FT's to their 18 We made 24 they made 12. That is a 12 point difference and we still lost by 5. TO's were very close. Other then the first 10 minutes of the game we were out of rhythm offensively the rest of the game. Our 3 and 2 point shooting was abysmal. There was know flow whatsoever.

Houston played us exactly like Temple did early in the year. They pushed our offense out beyond the arc and doubled Clark when he touched the ball. Our counter was to play Evans a big guard at the point and let the offense flow through him. It was ineffective. He could not create space he shot terribly and the offense died. We shot 2 FT's and should have shot more. We settled for jumpers when we had them in foul trouble the majority of the game. We also did not get many second chance points. We played our worst game of the year considering we were the more talented team. That includes the X and Florida.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #509
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Based on what I have read (maybe 50% of this thread), this seems extreme.

Honest question, and I'm just spitballing so don't jump all over me:

Would you rather lose a couple games we shouldn't (say like at UConn or vs Tulsa or something), but win some of the biggest games (vs Florida and at Houston)?

Or win every game we should, and lose the biggest games?

And I'm not saying it has to be that either/or. Just curious what people would say and why.
Well I don't want us to lose all the "biggest games" and I don't really think we have, we still have two of our "biggest games" yet, so can't really judge the full season. And IMO I would much rather lose 3 of our bigger games and undefeated in games we should win, instead of losing 1 or 2 we shouldn't.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #510
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Well I don't want us to lose all the "biggest games" and I don't really think we have, we still have two of our "biggest games" yet, so can't really judge the full season. And IMO I would much rather lose 3 of our bigger games and undefeated in games we should win, instead of losing 1 or 2 we shouldn't.
And this new rhetoric that's evolved wafted he loss. Zero margin for error.. as if we haven't blown out teams all year, including a couple pretty good ones. We struggle and have a not so great game, and all of a sudden that's just below how we normally play. I just don't get it. I wanted to win this game as much as anyone, and it had huge implications about our seed and our season. But it's not the end of the world losing, it's not even going to hurt our seeding all that much in the end. We dropped A SINGLE seed line, and switched with the team that was originally a 3. So no difference in the tourney. Our Kenpom, BPI both stayed at 3. And in the end, this is a game that a majority of us thought we would lose or at least had a decent chance to lose, at the beginning of the season. It sucks, we lost, but we were gonna lose another game. Now let's just finish strong.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote