Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Wednesday: UC puts us 72 points against SDSU. More points than this ranked team and that ranked team

Today: We have a terrible offense

UC switched to man in the second half and they shot at just as high as a clip as they did in the first half. They just couldn't match VCU's team quickness as a team and they got confidence after hitting a few shots, and it wasn't just one guy, everyone was making everything and nothing fell for UC.
2nd half shooting didn't matter imo. The game was already way over and we were down by double digits the whole time. As more games pass, we're continuing to see a dusturbing pattern. It was easier to live with it at the beginning bc we would still win, but we are seeing the team that can't score waaay too often.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Wednesday: UC puts us 72 points against SDSU. More points than this ranked team and that ranked team

Today: We have a terrible offense

UC switched to man in the second half and they shot at just as high as a clip as they did in the first half. They just couldn't match VCU's team quickness as a team and they got confidence after hitting a few shots, and it wasn't just one guy, everyone was making everything and nothing fell for UC.
Wednesday, UC put up 57 points against SDSU, and then another 15 in OT.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #13
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
They CAN play with anyone when everything is going exactly right. But we've really had things go right in about 3 of 10 games so far.
That is college BBall for you. College teams are inconsistent, outside of the elite teams with multiple NBA players. Hell even UK has had teams with inconsistent players. They missed the tourney completely a couple of years ago in a terrible conference! UCLA scored 7 points in the first half today against UK. I bet UCLA fans think the program is falling apart.

This team is struggling scoring right now. I didn't expect them to have it figured out in ten games because that is unrealistic. Our upperclassmen have been major disappointments this year. They still haven't lost a game that they easily should have won.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #14
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post
That is college BBall for you. College teams are inconsistent, outside of the elite teams with multiple NBA players. Hell even UK has had teams with inconsistent players. They missed the tourney completely a couple of years ago in a terrible conference! UCLA scored 7 points in the first half today against UK. I bet UCLA fans think the program is falling apart.

This team is struggling scoring right now. I didn't expect them to have it figured out in ten games because that is unrealistic. Our upperclassmen have been major disappointments this year. They still haven't lost a game that they easily should have won.
Nebraska?
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #15
BCM
Epic Member

BCM is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
All offseason it was the talk of 7 new guys blah blah blah...and that's fine. I get that. But 10 games in, is that still what we're going to go with? Can anyone out there act like they expected things to be THIS bad? I'm trying to find ONE area where this team has improved so far. Including the Bahamas, we've now played 535 minutes on the court together. Anyone got anything? I'm running out of excuses and fake optimism about this offense. I also don't get what Larry Davis does. He has been with Mick every step of the way...through terrible offense after terrible offense. Then when he gets a chance to head coach 1 game he can't make a simple defensive switch. So what good is he?
Maybe he's got dirt on Mick?
BCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #16
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Outside of the 24 point game by Cobb, have we had anyone score 15 in a game this year?
Old 12-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #17
ccmbearcat

ccmbearcat is on a distinguished road
Right now this team has zero confidence on the offensive end. I have seen these guys make shots before, but now some can't even hit the rim on an outside shot, and that is not an exaggeration. I think they are pressing far too much, and that has led to some real ugliness, I am talking about two of our guards who drove into traffic on breaks instead of passing to wide open teammates. Why, perhaps they have no confidence in the player they are about to pass to? Quadri passed up a WIDE OPEN 10 footer early in the game, a shot somebody like him should make in his sleep, why was that?

The team is pressing terribly, they hear the comments not just from the fans but nationally as well. They lack confidence and play scared on offense. This is the point where your senior leaders really have to step in and set everybody straight, but that is not happening. Guyn is hurt, Sanders does not have that personality, and Shaq can't inspire anybody if he can't make a shot himself. But Shaq has at least tried to be more aggressive the past few games

There is still time to right the ship, but right now I would gladly take a first round tournament exit. Next year will be much better, but there is probably more suffering to go before we get there.
ccmbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #18
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
Nebraska?
Nebraska? Nebraska is a veteran team that was a pre-season top 25 team. Petteway will play in the NBA and Shields and Pitchford are and have been solid for a while. It was the first road game for 7 guys in a sold out 15k seat arena. If you thought UC was going to run them out of the gym then maybe We can start betting money against each other on UC games.....
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #19
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post
Nebraska? Nebraska is a veteran team that was a pre-season top 25 team. Petteway will play in the NBA and Shields and Pitchford are and have been solid for a while. It was the first road game for 7 guys in a sold out 15k seat arena. If you thought UC was going to run them out of the gym then maybe We can start betting money against each other on UC games.....
Pitchford? Are you kidding? Cincinnati isn't expected to beat Nebraska basketball bc of Walter Pitchford? Sheesh. That sounds pretty pathetic. We should NEVER lose to Nebraska in basketball. I don't care how many people it is in front of or what they were ranked in the preseason. We should win that game by double digits bc we are Cincinnati. Period. Raise your expectations a little.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #20
Weez1414

Weez1414 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Pitchford? Are you kidding? Cincinnati isn't expected to beat Nebraska basketball bc of Walter Pitchford? Sheesh. That sounds pretty pathetic. We should NEVER lose to Nebraska in basketball. I don't care how many people it is in front of or what they were ranked in the preseason. We should win that game by double digits bc we are Cincinnati. Period. Raise your expectations a little.
I couldn't agree more. Pitchford seriously. A team called INCARNATE WORD beat Nebraska at their gym. And CATS fans are suppose to respect them and be intimidated by them. Hell their not even that good in football anymore and now their kicking our ass in Hoops. That right theres a huge sign of whats happened and happening. I'm done with it. And dont call me fareweather because theres not one CATS fan NOT 1 who like what they see in BB IQ, talent, coaching, offensively. NOT 1.
Weez1414 is offline   Reply With Quote