Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
What have we learned?

We are 10 out of 31 games into the season. So what have we learned about this group? What has improved over these first 10 games? What is the best rotation? What has to happen for us to compete for a congference title and NCAA tournament appearance?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Caupain, Cobb, Shaq, Clark and Ellis. Wish Moore would defend and rebound the team could use him offensively.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Caupain, Cobb, Shaq, Clark and Ellis. Wish Moore would defend and rebound the team could use him offensively.
Who cares at this point if Moore can't rebound or defend? The other guys can't score so it cancels out. I think Moore has a better chance of learning how to at least rebound than the other guys have of learning how to score.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

All offseason it was the talk of 7 new guys blah blah blah...and that's fine. I get that. But 10 games in, is that still what we're going to go with? Can anyone out there act like they expected things to be THIS bad? I'm trying to find ONE area where this team has improved so far. Including the Bahamas, we've now played 535 minutes on the court together. Anyone got anything? I'm running out of excuses and fake optimism about this offense. I also don't get what Larry Davis does. He has been with Mick every step of the way...through terrible offense after terrible offense. Then when he gets a chance to head coach 1 game he can't make a simple defensive switch. So what good is he?
Old 12-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
All offseason it was the talk of 7 new guys blah blah blah...and that's fine. I get that. But 10 games in, is that still what we're going to go with? Can anyone out there act like they expected things to be THIS bad? I'm trying to find ONE area where this team has improved so far. Including the Bahamas, we've now played 535 minutes on the court together. Anyone got anything? I'm running out of excuses and fake optimism about this offense. I also don't get what Larry Davis does. He has been with Mick every step of the way...through terrible offense after terrible offense. Then when he gets a chance to head coach 1 game he can't make a simple defensive switch. So what good is he?
Just to name one thing, Gary Clark would not be a bearcat without him.
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Yeah, Moore and Clark both have so much potential. Clark is really balanced and I think he will be a more consistent contributor. I wouldn't be surprised to see Quadri come on towards the end of the year, once he learns how to play better defense. So far, I would say KJ and Morman have been the most disappointing. I knew they would definitely not come close to SK numbers, but I was hoping they could be a solid guard combo. We need them to start playing better to complement Caupain/Cobb.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #7
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
After Wednesday: UC can play with anyone,
After today: meltdown mode. Team lost, looking lackluster after they find out their coach has an aneurysm 90 minutes before the game.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
After Wednesday: UC can play with anyone,
After today: meltdown mode. Team lost, looking lackluster after they find out their coach has an aneurysm 90 minutes before the game.
They CAN play with anyone when everything is going exactly right. But we've really had things go right in about 3 of 10 games so far.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #9
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
Yeah, Moore and Clark both have so much potential. Clark is really balanced and I think he will be a more consistent contributor. I wouldn't be surprised to see Quadri come on towards the end of the year, once he learns how to play better defense. So far, I would say KJ and Morman have been the most disappointing. I knew they would definitely not come close to SK numbers, but I was hoping they could be a solid guard combo. We need them to start playing better to complement Caupain/Cobb.
I would have to really agree with this. Especially with your disappointment with KJ and Morman. Morman is a complete ball hog and has NO just cause for it. His actions in the 2nd half disgusted me. How he pouted and slammed the ball on the floor bc he couldn't inbound. Its one thing to be ticked at your teammates for not moving and getting open but you don't act like that in front of 10k people.
I've always been high on KJ and have given him the benefit of doubt but after today, wow. He has been a walking turnover machine. He is super weak with the ball and makes poor choices on offense. He was better his freshman year than now. Maybe we are expecting him to do too much.

I thing I have learned as well is our offense is no better than what it was from game 1. Today was one of the worst performances I've seen in a while. It was all individually based and had zero flow, zero organization, and zero purpose.

I never understood how a team that displayed so much mental toughness days ago could show up so flat and uninspired. UC's body language was disgusting all day. Did anyone notice them coming out for warm ups before the 2nd half. They looked lazy and uninterested and had no purpose.

Another thing I learned was I guess its just because we are so young and have no real leaders but I expect more highs and lows this season. I think this team needs a complete attitude adjustment.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Wednesday: UC puts us 72 points against SDSU. More points than this ranked team and that ranked team

Today: We have a terrible offense

UC switched to man in the second half and they shot at just as high as a clip as they did in the first half. They just couldn't match VCU's team quickness as a team and they got confidence after hitting a few shots, and it wasn't just one guy, everyone was making everything and nothing fell for UC.