Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #91
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmac61 View Post
Agree totally with PJ Fleck but it may be too late on him.... My guess is he goes to Purdue and skips the mid-major schools like us. I used to dislike the 3 years and done young guns...but I miss their energy and enthusiasm. Don't miss any games at the Nip but I'm growing tired of seeing Tubs 20 yards away from the team on the sidelines the whole game, even during timeouts. What kind of coaching style is that? His recruiting has averaged in the middle of the AAC....so after 3 years of his efforts, what do we expect?
I do not want to hear about Kerry Combs....he's insane.
So in your opinion, you feel a coach with sideline enthusiasm and energy is a better coach then ones like Paul Brown, Tom Landry, John Wooden, or Urban Meyer? Football coaching is done during the week-not on game day, and we have 14 other coaches (all given certain responsibilities) called position coaches to carry out the game plan. I do agree that our overall recruiting needs improvement, as you can't make chicken salad out of ....
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #92
rbmac61

rbmac61 is on a distinguished road
I love the cerebral coaches and the fiery ones as well. What I don't understand his his total separation from the team and assistants during a game. We sit on the home side and I watch the interactions on the bench all game. The assistants are very involved, as they should be....and I have heard that Tommy likes to delegate to help his coaches grow...admirable. But during key times of a game, when momentum seams to be slipping away or we need a big play....a timeout is called, the team on the field huddles on the sideline to meet with coaches and Tommy is standing 20 yards away with his headset on. I do not understand his style of detached coaching at times when the leader of the troups needs to illustrate command. Urban does this....Paul Brown would greet a player on the sideline to explain what they did wrong....Tom Landry was calm and collected but got in a players face when it was needed....John Wooden would smack his team with his rolled up program during timeouts. Maybe it's just a difference in opinion....I respect what you are saying and I don't like extreme screamers....just looking for a little leadership during tough times of a game.
rbmac61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #93
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Someone mentioned in another thread that they watched last night's BYU vs Boise game and thought that we should be at that level and I couldn't agree more.

The one lifeline UC football has going forward is the likelihood that the CFP will expand to 8 teams. If/when this happens it will drastically increase the chances of a non-P5 school competing for a spot in the playoff. Our best and only option as a program right now is to compete to position ourselves to be in that upper echelon group on non-P5 schools.

College Football is all about coaching and TT is clearly not the guy to get this program where it needs to be. He seems like a good guy but we're not paying him to be a good guy, we're paying him to win football games at a high level. It is imperative that UC moves on from TT after this season and it's critical that they make the right hire with their next hire. Programs can turn around very quickly with the right hire. We've seen UC do it already, Houston is doing it right now, USF has done it in the past and appears to have done it again, Boise State, and the list goes on.

Our prospects as a non power 5 in a potential 8 team playoff format would be much better than a Purdue or Iowa State or Kansas or Kentucky. Those types of school will NEVER win their conferences and will NEVER have a shot at a playoff but a strong UC program playing in the AAC just might. There's no reason why UC can't attract a young up and coming coach. We have great facilities, we can pay and we have a strong recent tradition of success and placing those up and coming coaches into premier jobs. Retaining a successful coach will remain an issue for UC as a non P5 but there is no reason we can't attract a young coach on the way up.

This administration needs to wake the hell up and realize that they are allowing our major sports programs to die a slow death under two head coaches who quite frankly don't put butts in the seats. It's time for these guys to go and for us to make UC sports great again.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #94
GoCats88
Banned

GoCats88 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sala...ketball/coach/

It's interesting to look at the salary comparisons between Power 5 and Non-Power 5 coaches in both Football and basketball. TT is the highest paid Non-Power 5 coach in America, but is only ranked the 50th highest paid coach overall. There are only a handfull of Power 5 coaches making less than TT. Once you get past the Top 50, all the AAC coaches fall in line just below TT.

Basketball, on the other hand, is completely different. Cronin is the 19th highest paid coach overall, but is only the 5th highest Non-Power 5 coach ranking below Wichita St., UCONN, Utah, and Villinova's coaches. Once you get past Cronin, there are a whole bunch more coaches ranked in the Top 50 who are also not Power 5 coaches.

I think this shows that not being in a Power 5 conference is way more of a death blow for the football program than it is for basketball. It also probably says that it would be way easier to replace Cronin with a really good coach than it will be to replace TT. Mid-major programs have done very well in Men's College Basketball (making the Final 4, playing for the national championship, and actually winning the national championship), but are rarely very significant in football.

I certainly think if we remain one of the "elite" mid-major programs, there would be many really good coaches who would rather come here to lead this program, than would rather get into a Power 5 conference and become a bottom dweller until they get fired.....especially in basketball where 25% of the top 20 salaries and almost 50% of the Top 50 salaries are non-Power 5.
And Brian kelly making half of TT. What is that lol
GoCats88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:21 PM   #95
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
On the Football Four podcast they were talking about the coaching changes. Many of the hot seat coaches (Stoops at Kentucky, Helton at USC, Malzahn at Auburn, Sumlin at A&M) have saved their jobs. So the losers of this offseason are the P5 level candidates. LSU might not even end up being open. So NC State, Purdue, Texas, and Oregon seem like pretty much the only potential P5 openings unless I'm forgetting any.

This makes us a huge winner. We will be one of the top open jobs this offseason. I know Kiffin played at Fresno State, but just the idea that he'd consider that job bodes well for us. And in our own conference, we saw UCF go from 1-11(?) last year, to turning it around by hiring Scott Frost from being Oregon's OC. We can definitely land a good coach here. And plenty will be out there this offseason.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 10-31-2016 at 12:24 PM.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:17 PM   #96
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
I ain't going no where Jacob, cheer up
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:40 PM   #97
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Ahhh! Wtf!?!? Where do you find this stuff???

This is THE year to be hiring. It BETTER happen.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:16 PM   #98
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Holy crap, this just scared the hell out of me.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:06 PM   #99
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
I can't for the life of me understand why we haven't hopped on this carousel yet
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:09 PM   #100
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
I can't for the life of me understand why we haven't hopped on this carousel yet
$$$$$
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote