Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #41
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
The opposition paid the price for playing that zone. While it did give us a ton of open looks from the perimeter it also opened up rebounding opportunities. We killed them on second chance points and I believe almost set a team record in boards.
So they shot 13-39 on open looks? Not too good

I hope that they fare better at BBT moving forward from range, considering they shot better at home last year, hopefully improves with playing there more often.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:19 PM   #42
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Anyone care to explain how we got Trevor Moore out of Texas? Why was he not a Top 100 player? Mind boggling. Great job by Savino on him. Really looks like a legit player. Good athlete too. And like everyone else on the team, he's competitive.
Man I hope he is a Field Williams type player. He seems pretty good on D and he can catch lightning in a bottle from 3.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:19 PM   #43
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Keith has not only attempted more 2 point shots but has also made more 2 point shots than any player on our team through 4 outings. That includes every BIG on our team including the starters.

As a frosh...I am trying to figure out who doesn't think this is extraordinary? He's making 57-58 percent of them!!

Its a great start no doubt but we have to see how he plays when defenses rotate and help. what type of decisions will he make. the teams we've played haven't had any players capable of getting in his way. would be interesting to see what he does in practice as im sure our bigs stand in his way.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #44
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Its a great start no doubt but we have to see how he plays when defenses rotate and help. what type of decisions will he make. the teams we've played haven't had any players capable of getting in his way. would be interesting to see what he does in practice as im sure our bigs stand in his way.
I understand...but the early showing is absolutely exciting!! I would think his % will go down...but we have had several wings/guards who make under 40% for a career from 2 point range. I don't recall anyone looking like Keith since guys like Patterson or Herb Jones or Mickeal.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #45
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
So they shot 13-39 on open looks? Not too good

I hope that they fare better at BBT moving forward from range, considering they shot better at home last year, hopefully improves with playing there more often.
Yah...it was a tale of two halves really. We shot 45% in the first and like 18 % in the second. We have way too many guys who can score very well from 2 point range to attempt that many 3s. I get there were a lot of possessions but we still should have went inside more IMO. Our bigs need to face up and get position and demand the ball and our wings need to get it there. It's too easy to launch 3's all game. I also get we played a packed zone...but I still think we could have made it more of a priority.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:30 PM   #46
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Right we missed our first ten threes in second half, I know it smdoesnt work that way but takes those out and we shot great from deep. Game two, shot even better, nearly 50% if you take the two shots from Bart out. This team can shoot 3s. I don't know why shooting 3s is such a big concern anyway. I guess when our team is just so good we have to find something to "worry" about. 2 games in and we are supposed to be perfect. This is an extremely good team, the best one we've had in over a decade. We will be just fine, sit back and enjoy the show.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #47
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The more I think about this the more I say yah but...

Keith is getting in the lane and making a high %. If it's so easy vs teams that have no bigs or elite defenders then we should see all the wings/guards doing it. Maybe Evans would? He's the guy that's been asked to be more assertive in that area. But he's not even close to Keith right now in that category. I do see Keith having less success vs better teams (in terms of %) but that goes for every player trying the same things. Based on the information right now (and watching actual footage) I think Keith will be just fine and maybe stay above 50% all year. Right now he's at 77% from 2 in real games. He's attempting more 2's and making more of them than anyone.

If there is a concern that his % will drop when he hits better competition...the same will hold true for the other players. The only 2's it looks like Evans is going to shoot are put backs and break opportunities. He's not even trying to get to the hole in a half court set. I am okay with that. I think Evans can just do what he does and maybe even increase his 3 point attempts.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #48
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
The more I think about this the more I say yah but...

Keith is getting in the lane and making a high %. If it's so easy vs teams that have no bigs or elite defenders then we should see all the wings/guards doing it. Maybe Evans would? He's the guy that's been asked to be more assertive in that area. But he's not even close to Keith right now in that category. I do see Keith having less success vs better teams (in terms of %) but that goes for every player trying the same things. Based on the information right now (and watching actual footage) I think Keith will be just fine and maybe stay above 50% all year. Right now he's at 77% from 2 in real games. He's attempting more 2's and making more of them than anyone.

If there is a concern that his % will drop when he hits better competition...the same will hold true for the other players. The only 2's it looks like Evans is going to shoot are put backs and break opportunities. He's not even trying to get to the hole in a half court set. I am okay with that. I think Evans can just do what he does and maybe even increase his 3 point attempts.

I mean Evans just isn't a get to the rim player. No matter how much a coach or anybody else can want him to be, he isn't. He doesn't have that step of explosion or the handling to beat the man in front of him (sorry but true)

I didn't talk about Williams' shooting % though I talked about his decision making. When he gets cuts off, cause he will get cut off, what does he do? Will he be disciplined and find the open guy? Will he force up a bad shot? Will be be stubborn and over penetrate into a turnover. This is stuff we're only gonna find out by seeing it. As long as there is growth along the way its all good.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:56 AM   #49
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I mean Evans just isn't a get to the rim player. No matter how much a coach or anybody else can want him to be, he isn't. He doesn't have that step of explosion or the handling to beat the man in front of him (sorry but true)

I didn't talk about Williams' shooting % though I talked about his decision making. When he gets cuts off, cause he will get cut off, what does he do? Will he be disciplined and find the open guy? Will he force up a bad shot? Will be be stubborn and over penetrate into a turnover. This is stuff we're only gonna find out by seeing it. As long as there is growth along the way its all good.
Obviously it's going to happen. Williams is going to make a few bad choices when he's going after the rim that much. At some point you are going to get caught in the air, out of control, with no bail out option. Turnover. The question will be does he make more bad choices than other players. So far so good IMO. If he can make 50% plus I am not sure it matters unless his TO's skyrocket.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #50
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

By the way I agree on Evans right now...he's just not that type of player. Some of us wish he was but that is okay. He is an outstanding player in most other regards so I am very happy with that. For his sake sometimes I wish he was that type of player...I think his draft stock would soar.