Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #231
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I'm not suggesting that stats tell the whole story or are the only barometer. I was simply suggesting someone (in this case jenifer) get their stats up in a certain category. Then people started making excuses so I thought I would respond.

If you have a big man who is averaging 2 rebounds after 5 games...you ask that they get those numbers up. It doesn't mean you think they are a horrible rebounder or that you believe their numbers will stay at 2 for the season.

It's this problem people have about reading too much into things. If you wish Jenifer gets more minutes people start talking about "so you want to take Caupain's job from him or Cobb...why?" WTF?? I thought it would be nice if Jenifer improved his A:TO....then people think you want to take the keys from him and bring the offense to a hault. WTF??

If people would stop overreacting about simple suggestions or opinions the people who bring them up would not feel the need to defend them with stats.
WH, below was your post on 2/19 of this year. You saw the light back then, but you're letting the "stats" cloud your vision now.

"We've been trying to rebuild this thing using "combo guards". They have been decent at ball handling but not great. We sure could use a true point (Jennifer) so we can move a guy like Caupain over. Putting Cobb out there with Caupain would be half the battle since they can play a little of both. KJ has been very one dimensional and he's not been great at that one dimension."
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #232
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
You left out his key word....experiences. Experience trumps all. UCBearcats said it best. The smart person uses it all to formulate his opinion. For someone to suggest that the "Stats" are the facts, that is just crazy.

It's exactly like Mick's rambling press conference the other day where he was arguing that polls are worthless (his subjective viewpoint). He cited Missouri being ranked in the Top 25 all last season, but got an 11 seed and we got a 6 seed. He said over and over that they are meaningless and worthless. Since his fellow coaches are the ones determining those polls, and our brilliant media types are voting on their own polls as well (and of course we know how those people are the absolute experts because of the hours and hours they spend watching basketball....lol), and the fact is that they are basing their votes on a lot of these same stupid stats, well I guess Mick, by stating that the polls are worthless, he's concurring that the stats are worthless as well. What he is saying is that more goes into this than a bunch of goofy stats.

The stats are a starting point and a helpful guide, but my eyes and my common sense and my experience say that the stats lie. My common sense also tells me that when Troy is dribbling past Evans and shovels a 5 foot pass over to him, and he makes a 25 foot shot to give Troy an assist, that's a fluke assist. And when Jenifer throws a ball inside to Deberry and he runs over a defender, or misses a layup, or he gets fouled, or a good pass to Ellis bounces off his hands out of bounds, those are great plays by Jenifer where he gets zero credit statistically, or he get credited with a turnover. I also know that Troy does make some nice passes, and Jenifer does make some poor passes.

Again UCBearcats was spot on. Yes, you can prove a point with stats, and you can prove nothing by arguing common sense, eye test, and experience, but I'll bet the best coaches use more of the final three items than they do the stats when making their decisions.....which is probably why Mick didn't bring Jenifer in last night to shoot us out of our problems.
In this particular "eye test" we disagree. We both believe Jenifer is awesome. However, I think he's still a little wreckless and it's showing in his assists and turnovers. You don't...that's ok
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #233
jds513

jds513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoeFits View Post
Perhaps a "Caupain vs. Jennifer" or "Caupain/Jennifer Compare & Contrast" thread is in order.
My god, yes. Every thread is derailed by it someway somehow.
jds513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #234
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
WH, below was your post on 2/19 of this year. You saw the light back then, but you're letting the "stats" cloud your vision now.

"We've been trying to rebuild this thing using "combo guards". They have been decent at ball handling but not great. We sure could use a true point (Jennifer) so we can move a guy like Caupain over. Putting Cobb out there with Caupain would be half the battle since they can play a little of both. KJ has been very one dimensional and he's not been great at that one dimension."
Nice try. I do want a true PG but we can't give Jenifer the keys until he proves he's the better option. Come on man...you can do better than that.

Nor does it have anything to do with whether or not he needs to be a little more cautious RIGHT NOW
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #235
L-T
Epic Member

Quote:
Nice try. I do want a true PG but we can't give Jenifer the keys until he proves he's the better option. Come on man...you can do better than that.

Nor does it have anything to do with whether or not he needs to be a little more cautious RIGHT NOW
How can I do better than citing your own actual quote. That's as good as I can do right there. Lol, that's an example of experience!
Old 11-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #236
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In this particular "eye test" we disagree. We both believe Jenifer is awesome. However, I think he's still a little wreckless and it's showing in his assists and turnovers. You don't...that's ok
I agree with this. Jenifer will start in a year or two. He's flashy and very skilled. But, there are times where he needs to slow it down. Defenders in high school are slow to get to the ball. Not the case in college. He'll catch on. I like him a lot. But he's not ready for over 20 minutes/game. Have to ease him in.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #237
L-T
Epic Member

Quote:

He'll never get the keys by playing 7 minutes against a crap team when almost everyone else was sucking!
Old 11-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #238
L-T
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
I agree with this. Jenifer will start in a year or two. He's flashy and very skilled. But, there are times where he needs to slow it down. Defenders in high school are slow to get to the ball. Not the case in college. He'll catch on. I like him a lot. But he's not ready for over 20 minutes/game. Have to ease him in.
Finally, a reasonable post that I agree with. I haven't argued for him starting, or getting 20 minutes, but I certainly believe he should get minutes somewhere in the teens, and if he continues improving, more down the road.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #239
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Finally, a reasonable post that I agree with. I haven't argued for him starting, or getting 20 minutes, but I certainly believe he should get minutes somewhere in the teens, and if he continues improving, more down the road.
I told all of the jenifer lovers in close games/ meat of schedule he would play less than 10 min.. No one listens.....
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #240
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I know it is a hard concept to grasp for many on here...including you apparently. In the future, I'll try to dumb-down how I make these points so more can benefit from the enlightenment.
Better yet, just don't make them.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote