Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #61
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
That sounds pretty accurate to me. Throw in the late bloomers, varying degrees of work ethic, and guys who do or don't fit a certain system/coach and it probably somewhat equalizes recruits in that range.
It would be interesting to know what the checklist is for our coaches when considering a recruit that fit "our system". How much importance is placed on each characteristic? I assume there would be different ones for different positions. Examples: Ball handling, shooting, athleticism, attitude, work ethic, etc.

When do we stop recruiting a guy? Which attributes are considered essential? Which one's are considered coachable and which things can't really be coached? How do we approach under the radar guys as opposed to the players that are more well known commodities?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:07 AM   #62
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
It would be interesting to know what the checklist is for our coaches when considering a recruit that fit "our system". How much importance is placed on each characteristic? I assume there would be different ones for different positions. Examples: Ball handling, shooting, athleticism, attitude, work ethic, etc.

When do we stop recruiting a guy? Which attributes are considered essential? Which one's are considered coachable and which things can't really be coached? How do we approach under the radar guys as opposed to the players that are more well known commodities?
Good thoughts but how much do you think cold hard cash comes into play. Handlers, agents, sports apparel firms. I would think those would all factor into a players decision and impact the coaches chances of landing the kid.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #63
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I don't think Cronin recruits to "fit his system" as much as he used to. I think he targets players who are willing to grind. That's about the only item that's a must it seems like.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #64
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I don't think Cronin recruits to "fit his system" as much as he used to. I think he targets players who are willing to grind. That's about the only item that's a must it seems like.
Without getting a bunch of one and doners it looks like transfers and 4 year players is how we are going to get it done.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #65
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would like to see him recruit more guards and wings that can beat people off the dribble, like JC. To me it seems like mick's offense is a lot more NBA/ ISO ball, which is fine with the right players but if you don't have the players it gets stail.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #66
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Without getting a bunch of one and doners it looks like transfers and 4 year players is how we are going to get it done.
Cronin has done a great job landing "program guys" with talent lately. Guys you can get 3-4 years out of but are highly effective. Clark, Evans, Cumberland etc. Those are tough to find right between the one and doners and the busts. I hope we can land a couple of those this recruiting year.

We can throw in a one and doner here and there and we will have some busts but we have gotten pretty good mileage out of some nice recruits lately. Selfishly I hope we get a little more mileage from Evans and Cumberland but I will also be happy if they are good enough to go play in the league. I can't imagine a scenario where we have a guy leave early that we didn't have a damn good year as a program.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #67
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I would like to see him recruit more guards and wings that can beat people off the dribble, like JC. To me it seems like mick's offense is a lot more NBA/ ISO ball, which is fine with the right players but if you don't have the players it gets stail.
I like Cumberland and Broome (going by word of mouth) in this category. Evans has the ball skills but needs a little more work on the instinct part of things. I would like to see him just do more straight line moves by lowering a shoulder and going into the lane as opposed to dribbling too much. He's got ball skills and body control and a nice touch. He just needs to be more aggressive to the hole. He needs to start embracing the fact that there will be contact and not shy away from it.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #68
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I like Cumberland and Broome (going by word of mouth) in this category. Evans has the ball skills but needs a little more work on the instinct part of things. I would like to see him just do more straight line moves by lowering a shoulder and going into the lane as opposed to dribbling too much. He's got ball skills and body control and a nice touch. He just needs to be more aggressive to the hole. He needs to start embracing the fact that there will be contact and not shy away from it.
Evans also needs to pull up when he can't get all the way to the rim. He does a decent job of moving without the ball, but that's another way to get looks at the rim.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:55 PM   #69
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Evans also needs to pull up when he can't get all the way to the rim. He does a decent job of moving without the ball, but that's another way to get looks at the rim.
I would like to see when Evans get it on the wing and if the guy is a couple feet off of him to shoot it. He has a good shot and passes that shot up on a regular bais. You watch the best scorers in college and if their defender isn't right on them, they shoot. Not shoot everytime but put pressure on the defense
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:11 AM   #70
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

I think Evans suffers a bit from being on a team where he has many teammates who can put the ball in the basket. There really isn't a lot of need in throwing up a 3 early in shot clock on this team.we have two excellent post players and now we are adding more minutes from Cumberland and a cat quick PG. He needs to continue to let the game come to him. I would like to see him more aggressive late in shot clock but I really think Cumberland may take on that role this season.