Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-11-2017, 04:36 AM   #21
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
We have Kyle and Gary for 1 more year. Let's not waste it. Take some 3's,sure, but not 30.! This year needs to be different!

Flash Gary to the high post.
Ky le played a bad game and his minutes were given to Brooks who played very well Gary had a double double. How is that wasting them. We won by 30. Cut down on TO's,sharpen up the defense and improve out transition up tempo offense and we will be fine. All and all about what I expected for our first game playing a new style with TC not on the floor.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #22
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Ky le played a bad game and his minutes were given to Brooks who played very well Gary had a double double. How is that wasting them. We won by 30. Cut down on TO's,sharpen up the defense and improve out transition up tempo offense and we will be fine. All and all about what I expected for our first game playing a new style with TC not on the floor.
Exactly while we may have brought back a ton of guys, when didn't bring back our main ball handler. There is gonna be a transition period, especially since Troy had such a specific way of playing.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:17 PM   #23
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I'm not sure if Williams made a 3 since the red and black game. He's probably around 50-60 percent on his 2s though (guessing). He's got my green light to drive... I would hold him back on 3s just a little.
In two exhibitions and one game Williams is 0-7 from three but shooting over 57 percent shooting 2s.

I actually think many of his 3s have been very close kind of in and out type shots. His confidence is great but when you can get to the rack like he can... I would limit the 3s.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #24
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Offensive was absolutely FINE by all measures,

Sure we had a 20 TO's but we played in a game with 92 possessions which is bat shit crazy for a high major team. For Context Xavier has never played in a 90+ possession game with Matt, Mack nor Miller coaching, nor has wichita state played a 90+ possession game with Marshall as the coach.

This was a glorified rec ball game and just like the pickup games I play, their is a lot of sloppy TO's from the pace of play.

We were extremely productive at 1.16 points per possession. And our Defense was also extremely production at .84 points per possession.

IMO TO's get cut down by 4 if Evans returns to his normal ball protecting self and averages just 1 TO a game, Then factor in that cane will not play at this pace the rest of the season and IMO that eliminates at least 2 turnovers. So were down to 14.

14 is still high but again, some of those were caused by extreme pace we simply will not play again.

IMO we end up averaging 11-12 TO a game and I personally can live with that if we faster and more productive on offense.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:32 PM   #25
A_O

A_O is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

Sure we had a 20 TO's but we played in a game with 92 possessions which is bat shit crazy for a high major team. For Context Xavier has never played in a 90+ possession game with Matt, Mack nor Miller coaching, nor has wichita state played a 90+ possession game with Marshall as the coach.

This was a glorified rec ball game and just like the pickup games I play, their is a lot of sloppy TO's from the pace of play.

We were extremely productive at 1.16 points per possession. And our Defense was also extremely production at .84 points per possession.

IMO TO's get cut down by 4 if Evans returns to his normal ball protecting self and averages just 1 TO a game, Then factor in that cane will not play at this pace the rest of the season and IMO that eliminates at least 2 turnovers. So were down to 14.

14 is still high but again, some of those were caused by extreme pace we simply will not play again.

IMO we end up averaging 11-12 TO a game and I personally can live with that if we faster and more productive on offense.
Solid stats Justin! You prompted me to look up our avg TOs per game over the past seven seasons of having tournament teams. They are (from 2016-2017 back to 2010-2011): 10,11,13,11,13,11,11.

End of the day you know that Mick is going to prioritize getting that number as close to ten as possible. As he said on the postgame interview, "You can't rebound a turnover."
A_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #26
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

Yah...I guess this was not really a team turnover issue. 2 players had 11 of the 20. I'm not worried about Evans. Cane only played 20 minutes and had 6 turnovers. If that happens again I would expect Jenifer to start the next game.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #27
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In two exhibitions and one game Williams is 0-7 from three but shooting over 57 percent shooting 2s.

I actually think many of his 3s have been very close kind of in and out type shots. His confidence is great but when you can get to the rack like he can... I would limit the 3s.
I am not putting any limits on his game. If he is taking good shots and not forcing things I say fire away. Watching his shot it is not a bad looking shot. it will start falling. Let the kid play.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #28
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
We won't play another game like the one we played on Friday for a long time. All that team does is run and try to control the tempo, they pressed on MISSED shots which I've never seen before in my entire life.

Season doesn't start until the Caymans, but if you're looking for something to over-analyse between now and then look at tonight's game or Thursday's game. Friday's game was an aberration.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #29
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I think making some 3's will open up his drive game even more. All his shots looked good and then bounced out.

He starts making some 3's and then teams can't sag off him.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #30
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I am not putting any limits on his game. If he is taking good shots and not forcing things I say fire away. Watching his shot it is not a bad looking shot. it will start falling. Let the kid play.
I agree. The key is shot selection. If they are open, in rhythm, fire away. If not, try to get to the rim which he can definitely do. I'm not losing sleep or changing my perception of any player on this team (positive or negative) based on one game.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote