Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #1
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
It doesn't matter who starts...

Does it matter how a player gets 30 minutes as long as he gets them?

Would you rather have your best players finish than start?

Would you rather it be both?

I personally think it matters a great deal who starts and who finishes. But solid starts on the road seem especially important to me. I don't think it's a myth if you give an underdog a glimmer of hope early on as well as the crowd...they are going to feed off of that energy. That team will dig deeper on D... concentrate more on O etc until you squash their hopes. The earlier the better IMO.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Completely agree and think it does matter who starts. There's a reason teams have their best players starting the games and not coming off the bench.

I would say more but I think you covered why it makes a difference.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
yeah but are you guys college coaches? i dont think so, so your opinion isn't valid.

i mean sure a ton of other college coaches start their best players.

but you aren't a college coach so don't you dare question anything.

/sarcasm
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
This conversation is so tired. We've heard every angle of every which way. Is what it is. Broome seems back on track with the ankle. That's the most important thing.

I know it was sarcasm, but there are definitely different levels of what we should/can be questioning. General basketball strategy, like this, perfectly fine to talk about imo. More specific X's and O's type stuff, I won't speak for everyone, but I'd be much more out of my depth. I think people who use the differences in philosophy/strategy to act like they know more than the coach should keep that in mind.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
TheShoeFits

TheShoeFits will become famous soon enough
I could care less who starts.

As long as Cane is getting 25-30 minutes and Justin is getting 10-15. Which is the way it seems to be trending.
TheShoeFits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
This conversation is so tired. We've heard every angle of every which way. Is what it is. Broome seems back on track with the ankle. That's the most important thing.

I know it was sarcasm, but there are definitely different levels of what we should/can be questioning. General basketball strategy, like this, perfectly fine to talk about imo. More specific X's and O's type stuff, I won't speak for everyone, but I'd be much more out of my depth. I think people who use the differences in philosophy/strategy to act like they know more than the coach should keep that in mind.

we are getting too close to a spot where if you don't agree with somebody you call them a hater and an idiot.

is it not possible to state your claim and stick to the claim? i mean the point of a place like this is to debate things right?
Old 01-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #7
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoeFits View Post
I could care less who starts.

As long as Cane is getting 25-30 minutes and Justin is getting 10-15. Which is the way it seems to be trending.
Preach.

I'm done talking this issue though. IF it bites us in the ass then we can revisit, right now were winning and that formula works.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
we are getting too close to a spot where if you don't agree with somebody you call them a hater and an idiot.

is it not possible to state your claim and stick to the claim? i mean the point of a place like this is to debate things right?
?
Old 01-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post

I'm saying something like this is exactly what we should be discussing. I don't care what side of it anyone is on, I just am tired of this specific topic all day everyday. I'm just saying more for the sake of credibility. Like for example, the guy who was saying Scott isn't a D1 player. Probably safe to blindly side with the 15 year D1 head coach on that one. That's something we shouldn't be questioning. And I don't review film or watch the games multiple times, so I can make general observations, but I'm not going to call out coaching and get pissed and act like I know more when I really don't know the intricacies of what we're running. That's all I'm saying. But I also haven't been called out as a hater like you, so I can see how you would be concerned about "allowed" discussion.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #10
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
?

forget what the topic in general is about.

when the response to a take is "well your not a coach" or "when i see what people are saying i wonder if they've ever watched basketball before" you then start to personally argue against people instead of debating the original stance.

thats how topic linger on and on and on when there is nothing that could be added to them. even the people arguing about it don't even want to argue about it.

nothing is added when the argument is just "he's the coach so he's right". plenty of coaches see the same exact situation multiple different ways. there is no right and wrong way in a lot of circumstances. and thats why we are all here to debate and talk about things maybe we would do differently if we were a coach. i dont think anybody is trying to claim they are smarter than Cronin and know more about the team than he does.