Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Will UC beat Florida?
Yes 22 56.41%
No 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #611
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I am fully aware of the advanced metrics of 3s. I understand the math of how a lower percentage of 3s equals the same number of points as a higher percentage of 2s. I think this is harder to apply to the college level. They aren’t as good as shooters. If they were, way do zones work so well in college?
So we shoot worse than our season % when it's wide open?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #612
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I am fully aware of the advanced metrics of 3s. I understand the math of how a lower percentage of 3s equals the same number of points as a higher percentage of 2s. I think this is harder to apply to the college level. They aren’t as good as shooters. If they were, way do zones work so well in college?
1. Your posts don't seem to indicate that because you were just calling it a lower percentage shot when you were using a 37% shot as "low percentage" as opposed to a 2 pt attempt. You'd have to be getting a 55% 2 pt attempt to be equal, which isn't an easy look to come by. That's objectively not a "low percentage" shot. We want those shots. And lots of them.

2. The "worse" shooting in college, is somewhat offset by the closer 3 point line and the not quite as good individual defenders in college.

3. Zones work better in college than the NBA, because you can't play a "true" zone in the NBA. Sure you can zone in the NBA, but it's not the same because there is no defensive 3 seconds rule in college. In college, you can just plant Taco Fall (or whatever other big man) around the charge circle the entire possession, which you can't do in the nba.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #613
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
1. Your posts don't seem to indicate that because you were just calling it a lower percentage shot when you were using a 37% shot as "low percentage" as opposed to a 2 pt attempt. You'd have to be getting a 55% 2 pt attempt to be equal, which isn't an easy look to come by. That's objectively not a "low percentage" shot. We want those shots. And lots of them.

2. The "worse" shooting in college, is somewhat offset by the closer 3 point line and the not quite as good individual defenders in college.

3. Zones work better in college than the NBA, because you can't play a "true" zone in the NBA. Sure you can zone in the NBA, but it's not the same because there is no defensive 3 seconds rule in college. In college, you can just plant Taco Fall (or whatever other big man) around the charge circle the entire possession, which you can't do in the nba.
Zones also work bc college teams as a whole don't pass that well.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #614
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
This loss is still stinging. I hope we can get that win against UCLA to help take some of the burn out. We should have won that FLA game fairly easy. That win would have given us two important things the committee likes to see. Column 1 wins and wins away from home. Just winning that game could have been a deciding factor if we are straddling seed lines.

UCLA can give us one of those column 1 wins away from home so it's a pretty big deal. I think we can salvage our non conference with a win there. I would consider the non con a mild disappointment with 2 losses but a big disappointment with 3 losses.

We sure could use at least one column 1 win in OOC and a win on the road is even better. This game could be the difference in a seed line in March. I think it's huge!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote