Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #11
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Some bold assertions there. I happen to disagree with them. I'd gladly consider any evidence you have though.
Last year, the committee kinda showed it didn't nearly matter as much who you lost to, but rather who you beat.

I'd rather a 2 loss Mississippi State team prove they are legit. Florida is good enough that it won't drop back too far in any of the rankings. But Miss state could really plummet due to their bad SOS
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:47 PM   #12
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Last year, the committee kinda showed it didn't nearly matter as much who you lost to, but rather who you beat.

I'd rather a 2 loss Mississippi State team prove they are legit. Florida is good enough that it won't drop back too far in any of the rankings. But Miss state could really plummet due to their bad SOS
Well that's another assertion, not evidence. It's fine if you hold that opinion, but stating it as fact is a little extreme. I'm going to stick with what the NCAA says:

“We consulted with experts within the coaching and analytics fields who looked at historical data, based on winning percentages by game location, to come up with these dividing lines within each of the columns,” said Mark Hollis, the director of athletics at Michigan State and the current chair of the committee. “The emphasis of performing well on the road is important, as was the need for teams not to be penalized as much for road losses. Beating elite competition, regardless of the game location, will still be rewarded, but the committee wanted the team sheets to reflect that a road game against a team ranked 60th is mathematically more difficult and of higher quality than a home game versus a team ranked 35th. We feel this change accomplishes that.”
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #13
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Well that's another assertion, not evidence. It's fine if you hold that opinion, but stating it as fact is a little extreme. I'm going to stick with what the NCAA says:

“We consulted with experts within the coaching and analytics fields who looked at historical data, based on winning percentages by game location, to come up with these dividing lines within each of the columns,” said Mark Hollis, the director of athletics at Michigan State and the current chair of the committee. “The emphasis of performing well on the road is important, as was the need for teams not to be penalized as much for road losses. Beating elite competition, regardless of the game location, will still be rewarded, but the committee wanted the team sheets to reflect that a road game against a team ranked 60th is mathematically more difficult and of higher quality than a home game versus a team ranked 35th. We feel this change accomplishes that.”

Huh? We didn’t play Florida on the road
Old 01-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #14
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Huh? We didn’t play Florida on the road
The bolded part says that teams are punished for losses, and that the new groups mean the punishment is less for a road loss. Earlier you said the committee doesn't measure losses at all. This isn't just a discussion about Florida, it's about wins, losses and RPI in general. The committees words indicate that it absolutely matters what group your losses are in.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #15
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
Just a note in determining "teams to root for", is the Quadrant rankings. What I mean is, we played Florida on a neutral site, so want them to be top 50, while we played Miss St at home, so would need them to be top 35 (in order to be Quadrant 1).

Currently Florida is 44, and Miss St 54. Net, not going to be the worst thing for Florida to win and stay top 50, if Miss St doesn't play well enough over the next 6 weeks to be top 35.

Of course that game is splitting hairs since we played both teams, but they are not scheduled to play a second time (unless SEC Tourney).
Did we spend this much effort when we were in school? Lol. I love it! Just have to find what you're passionate about. And hope you can get paid to do it. You guys are awesome!
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #16
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
The bolded part says that teams are punished for losses, and that the new groups mean the punishment is less for a road loss. Earlier you said the committee doesn't measure losses at all. This isn't just a discussion about Florida, it's about wins, losses and RPI in general. The committees words indicate that it absolutely matters what group your losses are in.
I just don’t read any where that says a quadrant 1 loss is better than a quadrant 2 win.

I just used rpi forecast to predict what a win and loss would mean for either team.

Florida
Current Rpi: #49
If win: 33
If lose: 58

Miss state:
Current rpi: 65
If win: 31
If lose: 53

With a win it puts Mississippi state on the cusp of being a tier 1 win. If they lose it’s a tier 2 like it is now.

I’ll take my chances on adding another tier 1 win every single time. Tier 1 vs tier 1 loss is not really debatable
Old 01-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #17
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
Just a note in determining "teams to root for", is the Quadrant rankings. What I mean is, we played Florida on a neutral site, so want them to be top 50, while we played Miss St at home, so would need them to be top 35 (in order to be Quadrant 1).

Currently Florida is 44, and Miss St 54. Net, not going to be the worst thing for Florida to win and stay top 50, if Miss St doesn't play well enough over the next 6 weeks to be top 35.

Of course that game is splitting hairs since we played both teams, but they are not scheduled to play a second time (unless SEC Tourney).
Pretty sure Miss St. is a lost cause. When they start games against UK, Fla, Auburn, Tennessee, TAMU, Georgia et al. they will drop significantly
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #18
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A team you beat getting better is Always better than a team you lost to getting better.

Committee doesn't measure quadrant 1,2, 3 & 4 losses, only wins. While I want florida to do good in every other game, when its against a team we beat, I dont
In that case why root for Xavier? I mean either way I'm not, but Jw lol
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #19
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
Pretty sure Miss St. is a lost cause. When they start games against UK, Fla, Auburn, Tennessee, TAMU, Georgia et al. they will drop significantly
The just won against a ranked team last week. Wouldn't say lost cause when they're 1-1 in the conference. Still 16 More games to play.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #20
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
In that case why root for Xavier? I mean either way I'm not, but Jw lol
As noted in my breakdown, I’m not either.

I’m not saying that losses don’t count, I’m saying I’ll take a good win over a good loss and those two things are playing out in the miss state Florida game. We should want Xavier and Florida to win every game except games where they play teams we beat.

And potential also takes a factor in my decision to pick miss state. Miss state winning gives them more potential towards being a tier 1 win. The best Florida can be for us Is a tier 1 loss. A tier 1 loss won’t help us but also won’t hurt us. Miss state reaching becoming a tier 1 win is still on the table and would hugely help us out.