Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #11
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
EXPECTATIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I don't get why people (and not people on this board, I've heard it on a few podcasts too) are talking about Brian Kelly being on the hot seat. Are they never allowed to have a down year?
It is all about expectations, and what have you done for me lately. All you have to do is look at Les Miles at LSU. In regards to Brian Kelly, it is Notre Dame and their fans expectations. Many times expectations are what drive coaches out of the business and get them fired.
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #12
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I don't get why people (and not people on this board, I've heard it on a few podcasts too) are talking about Brian Kelly being on the hot seat. Are they never allowed to have a down year?
Because they have very high expectations and they expect to contend for National titles. They have huge dollar donors and a national following great facilities and a unlimited budget. Plus coaches line up to go there.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #13
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
It is all about expectations, and what have you done for me lately. All you have to do is look at Les Miles at LSU. In regards to Brian Kelly, it is Notre Dame and their fans expectations. Many times expectations are what drive coaches out of the business and get them fired.
Yeah I mean ND has lost a lot of really good players over the past few seasons. I just don't get why that goes unrecognized.

I bet these kind of situations make ADs want 8 teams in the playoff. Double your chance to meet expectations.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #14
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Hiring coaches on the downtrend doesn't seem like a good idea unless they can prove they still have the fire in them to reach the top. I am not all that happy with the last experiment right now.

Fool me once...shame on you. Fool me twice?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:20 AM   #15
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Tom Herman will be a candidate for a big job after this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at LSU.

At some point Chip Kelley may realize the NFL is not for him.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:23 AM   #16
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Tom Herman will be a candidate for a big job after this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at LSU.

At some point Chip Kelley may realize the NFL is not for him.
I think Jimbo Fisher is the #1 target at LSU. Todd McShay said that it was really close to happening last year. If they don't get him this year, I agree it's gotta be Hetman. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him if Houston gets into the Big XII though bc his salary would bump up to $5M per year should they get in.

I doubt Chip Kelly would get fired after 1 year at SF. Everyone knew that'd be a rebuild. He's never had a losing season in the NFL either.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #17
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Tuberville is 62 years old so irregardless of performance I think his coaching window is coming to a close. If UC Football struggles to a 7-5 or 6-6 season the time frame on his replacement could be moved up. I don't think he has done anything yet to warrant losing his job as there is still a lot of time left in this season for our team to improve and put up a solid win/loss record.

I think a lot of our ability to hire either a young up and comer or a more established coach as Tommy's replacement (whenever that time comes) is directly connected to our ability to get in the Big 12. Some of these names thrown around today might seem unrealistic but if we get in the P5 everything changes. That could be the difference between our football program being a stepping stone or a destination.

All those things being said I'd take someone like Les Miles in a heartbeat because he'd immediately upgrade our recruiting chops and bring in a lot of young coaching talent on his staff that could ultimately be line up to be his successor.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #18
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Tuberville is 62 years old so irregardless of performance I think his coaching window is coming to a close. If UC Football struggles to a 7-5 or 6-6 season the time frame on his replacement could be moved up. I don't think he has done anything yet to warrant losing his job as there is still a lot of time left in this season for our team to improve and put up a solid win/loss record.

I think a lot of our ability to hire either a young up and comer or a more established coach as Tommy's replacement (whenever that time comes) is directly connected to our ability to get in the Big 12. Some of these names thrown around today might seem unrealistic but if we get in the P5 everything changes. That could be the difference between our football program being a stepping stone or a destination.

All those things being said I'd take someone like Les Miles in a heartbeat because he'd immediately upgrade our recruiting chops and bring in a lot of young coaching talent on his staff that could ultimately be line up to be his successor.
Miles is 62 also. Some sources say that there may be mutual interest in Purdue. Speculating who UC hires when they have a coach under contract that they have not fired is useless IMO.

Please also keep in mind that Butch and BK had the P6 format and BCS bowl to sell to students. TT and UC are going against the stream trying to recruit against P5's. Just look at how many kids go to UK just because of the SEC stigma. Just getting a Les Miles does not guarantee a bump in recruiting. The only thing it would guarantee would be that UC has another 62 year old coach.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #19
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Still have 2 tickets available for the game. Let me know gents. Sec 213 Row 4. Good seats.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #20
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Hiring coaches on the downtrend doesn't seem like a good idea unless they can prove they still have the fire in them to reach the top. I am not all that happy with the last experiment right now.

Fool me once...shame on you. Fool me twice?
Tuberville had already not done well even before he got to UC. It's been almost 10 years since he has done anything good.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote