Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get this year in the Tournament?
1-4 24 38.71%
5-8 35 56.45%
9-16 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #2681
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Would be nice if passed the ball instead of forcing up a shot through a double team every once in a while. Why take a 50% shot and give up either a wide-open three or a lay up? 16 assists and 30 turnovers since the Butler game. It gets frustrating sometimes watching him throw up a shot when guys are wide open.
Big man mentality. If I have it in the paint, I'm putting it in. Not that uncommon. I'll take the bad with the good bc his aggressive offensive attitude is a big positive in our program.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #2682
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Plus, our team AST/TO is off the charts. So if 1 guy isn't on par with the rest of the team, at least it's a guy who gets looks near the rim and is a pretty efficient scorer overall.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 02-18-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #2683
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bearcatdad View Post
The more I see of Brooks, the more I like him. Like a lot of freshmen, he's too indecisive. However, his size is legit, he moves well, his defense is reasonably solid (particularly if he can learn to guard without fouling a little better) and his limited offensive moves look ok. I think he could be formidable by his junior year when we actually need him.
Another benefit to having offensive talent is that we can bury teams in our conference sometimes and get guys like Brooks some quality game experience. Yesterday in the 2nd half after a foul, Coach was able to call him over and give him a little lesson on the spot during the first FT attempt. I love seeing that stuff. And it sounds like Brooks has a great attitude too. I'm really glad that we have him.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #2684
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Another benefit to having offensive talent is that we can bury teams in our conference sometimes and get guys like Brooks some quality game experience. Yesterday in the 2nd half after a foul, Coach was able to call him over and give him a little lesson on the spot during the first FT attempt. I love seeing that stuff. And it sounds like Brooks has a great attitude too. I'm really glad that we have him.
Cronin was doing as much in-game individual coaching during the game yesterday as I can ever remember. He did it with Brooks, Jennifer, Kyle & Clark that I recall. Maybe others.

As you mentioned, some of that is a luxury of having a good offensive team getting a large lead so he can focus more on individual coaching rather than making crucial in-game team adjustments.

They were very effective offensively yesterday.
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #2685
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Would be nice if passed the ball instead of forcing up a shot through a double team every once in a while. Why take a 50% shot and give up either a wide-open three or a lay up? 16 assists and 30 turnovers since the Butler game. It gets frustrating sometimes watching him throw up a shot when guys are wide open.
If the biggest complaint about our center is his ast/to ratio; I'd say he's doing fine.
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #2686
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
That is funny, thinking the same thing when I was watching that , Brooks had to bend down to put his ear down to coach. Great look.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #2687
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Kevin Johnson has been having a type of senior year we really could have hoped for. His defense always has been pretty good, but of course we all worried about his offense. He started out slow but since the Farleigh Dickerson game he is shooting 42% from the 3 and averaging 10.2 Points a game. That's pretty good if that's your 5th best player out of your starters.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:23 PM   #2688
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Kyle Washington has scored double figures in all games but 6. There was only one of those 6 games where he played more than 20 minutes and in that game he had 9 points in 23 minutes. Had he played 30 minutes in all of them he would probably have double figures in all of them.

Also, if he played as many minutes as guys like Lawson, Ojeleye, Dotson, etc he would be behind only Rob Gray in points per game.

Would we like to see more assists from him too? Sure...but since he is the most reliable scorer on the team I would like to maximize his attempts as long as it doesn't border on stupid attempts. His rebounding isn't bad when he's focused on it. His FT's are serviceable. At 1.5 blocks he's not too shabby there either. Good for 6th in the league.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #2689
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
Playing around on RPI Wizard and given an ideal situation ( winning out while playing Tulsa, Houston and SMU in the conference tourney) has us at 31-3, RPI #7, SOS #60. Likely won't happen but that seams like a 2-3 seed.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #2690
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
Point is, we have the opportunity. Take care of business and play our way to a 3 seed playing in Indy.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote