Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #141
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Don't think Louisville was in AAC when they won but in 2014 UCONN was.
Think it was the first and only year they were
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #142
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Think it was the first and only year they were
Think I'm wrong
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #143
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Since the inception of P5 conference how many schools have won the title. how many have been in the final 4? I think the answer is 3 and 0. Everything I read on this board is people are not satisfied with making the filed they want to win the tourney. Oh and UCONN is desperately trying to join the big east. that should tell you something>
Yeah it tells me that they're punting on football...which is really what the P5 stuff is all about. It's a misguided attempt to at least salvage one of their sports.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #144
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Yeah it tells me that they're punting on football...which is really what the P5 stuff is all about. It's a misguided attempt to at least salvage one of their sports.
Reminds me of UC fans the past 2 seasons complaining about a conference we couldn't win, but somehow were too good for.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #145
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
We agree I think. Is it easier in a big conference? Yes. Is it the end of the world in bball? No. Also, There is no where to go. Big 12 just said they were good for awhile. Big ten has Ohio st, and ACC doesn't want us. That's the list
My fear is the gap will only get wider. That is why what Mick has been able to accomplish is very good. We are a very stable basketball destination. Most of the kids now days know very little about our tradition. Handlers and other assorted characters are guiding these kids. Apparel companies are another influence. The challenge for Mick is he has to recruit under the radar kids. Diamonds in the rough if you will. Four year student athletes. You know how much time and effort it takes to compete that way as opposed to what Calipari has to do to land a kid. Kids want exposure. Hell most posters on here hate watching a game on CBS sports. How do you think the kids feel that are playing. They want to be on the major networks. Playing on national TV with the best coverage and announcers gives them the exposure they want and need. Mick does a great job with what he is selling but that job gets harder every year. Winning regularily helps but keeping that streak is not easy. And it may get harder. UC overcoming bad recruiting deisions is very hard to do. the pressure to get all of the right is very real.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #146
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yea that is strange. I have to believe the success the womens team is having plays some part in them punting.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #147
NKY Bearcat

NKY Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am not convinced they will do it, but if they do, it shows where UConn believes they are in expansion.

Everyone needs to remember that the Big 12 is going to have ALOT of movement in about 3 to 8 years. Their rights, and current conference lineup, will expire in 2025. However as that gets closer, there likely will be negotiations to let schools out early in favor of money/stability by the remaining schools.

I would bet money on Oklahoma and Kansas fill out the Big 10, and Texas + 1 moves to either the SEC or PAC16. This will leave a conference needing to add about 4 to 6 teams, and it is hard to see a scenario where UC isn't part of it. In UConn's defense, I think it is pretty reasonable to believe they would be left out.
NKY Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #148
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
Presently, XU is beating us on the recruiting trail. Compare UCs incoming freshmen to Xs. I wonder why X has 4 four star players coming in and UC has none???
I believe Keith Williams has been moved to a 4 star rating.
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #149
Cats2016FF
Banned

Cats2016FF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKY Bearcat View Post
I am not convinced they will do it, but if they do, it shows where UConn believes they are in expansion.

Everyone needs to remember that the Big 12 is going to have ALOT of movement in about 3 to 8 years. Their rights, and current conference lineup, will expire in 2025. However as that gets closer, there likely will be negotiations to let schools out early in favor of money/stability by the remaining schools.

I would bet money on Oklahoma and Kansas fill out the Big 10, and Texas + 1 moves to either the SEC or PAC16. This will leave a conference needing to add about 4 to 6 teams, and it is hard to see a scenario where UC isn't part of it. In UConn's defense, I think it is pretty reasonable to believe they would be left out.
So we would move into a hollowed out Big 12, no thanks.
Cats2016FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #150
NKY Bearcat

NKY Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats2016FF View Post
So we would move into a hollowed out Big 12, no thanks.
It wouldn't be just the hollowed out Big 12. You have to think of the other schools likely to join. Below is a complete guess, but there is some logic behind it. I think it would make a much better basketball conference, and with good enough football to still bring in money.

The Conference will Probably end up looking something like the following:

Kansas State
Iowa State
West Virginia
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech

Adding my guess but who really knows:

Cincinnati
Memphis
BYU
Houston