Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #21
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
For some reason I don't feel like this will be a problem for the next two years. We know Jenifer loves to get out and run and it sounds like Broome is the quickest guard we may have ever had. Both of them have the instinct AND desire to get the ball up the court.

I remember coach begging Troy to push the ball last year multiple times per game. I don't think that will be a problem this year. He may have to slow them down on occasion. I can't wait to see it in action!
Yeah Jenifer catches the inbound pass outside of the 3 point line and goes when the other team isn't pressing. Caupain would stand 1 foot from the baseline before starting the harrowing journey to halfcourt. And if someone wasn't there to throw it in, he'd just stand and watch the ball bouncing at his feet, instead of grabbing it, throwing it in, and getting it back and going.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #22
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Yeah Jenifer catches the inbound pass outside of the 3 point line and goes when the other team isn't pressing. Caupain would stand 1 foot from the baseline before starting the harrowing journey to halfcourt. And if someone wasn't there to throw it in, he'd just stand and watch the ball bouncing at his feet, instead of grabbing it, throwing it in, and getting it back and going.
I agree 100% about inbounding the ball. You can't catch the D off guard if you don't try. I am sure we are going to have some early turnover issues but I can't wait to see a new style after 4 years of plodding. This is not a knock on Troy...we played to his strengths and he was good at what he did. If we are pushing the pace we will also need the bench for breathers.

The nice thing about early turnovers that we will likely see from Broome is that we can use Jenifer to set an example for him. Jenifer did a great job of dropping his turnovers last year (and even had a better ratio than Troy assist/turnover). I expect Cane to come out as fast as Jenifer did his freshman year and throw the ball away a little bit while he gets used to the speed. I don't expect it to take a year for him to figure it out though since he has played at the college level. Cronin will definitely use Jenifer a lot early on and maybe even still getting 15 a game when we get to conference play. It will be interesting to see what can happen with Jenifer and Broome in the game together since Broome can play the 2 as well. We may potentially use that combo to spell Evans or Cumberland more than we use Williams.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #23
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I agree 100% about inbounding the ball. You can't catch the D off guard if you don't try. I am sure we are going to have some early turnover issues but I can't wait to see a new style after 4 years of plodding. This is not a knock on Troy...we played to his strengths and he was good at what he did. If we are pushing the pace we will also need the bench for breathers.

The nice thing about early turnovers that we will likely see from Broome is that we can use Jenifer to set an example for him. Jenifer did a great job of dropping his turnovers last year (and even had a better ratio than Troy assist/turnover). I expect Cane to come out as fast as Jenifer did his freshman year and throw the ball away a little bit while he gets used to the speed. I don't expect it to take a year for him to figure it out though since he has played at the college level. Cronin will definitely use Jenifer a lot early on and maybe even still getting 15 a game when we get to conference play. It will be interesting to see what can happen with Jenifer and Broome in the game together since Broome can play the 2 as well. We may potentially use that combo to spell Evans or Cumberland more than we use Williams.
I just wonder...with Cronin's propensity to use veterans of his system...if we might see Cane as more of a 6th man spark plug early on with Jenifer getting the starting role. If Cane can limit his turnovers from the start it may not happen. Just a thought. We know Cronin will use the bench for motivation if and when he can. Jenifer is no slouch and he proved to Cronin he is willing to listen which will go a long way with coach if Broome gets careless. Careless turnovers will never be acceptable to Cronin if there is a serviceable backup.

I would also note that Broome has witnessed this already by watching for a year so he may not need too much coaching on that issue to get the point.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #24
skylinecat

skylinecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It will be interesting to see what can happen with Jenifer and Broome in the game together since Broome can play the 2 as well. We may potentially use that combo to spell Evans or Cumberland more than we use Williams.
I doubt we will see Jenifer and Broome on the court at the same time very often due to the defensive liability. Jennifer is listed as 5'10 and Broome is listed as 6'0. I'm guessing that is a pretty generous spot for both of them.

It could be interesting if they ran a real heavy press using both of them given how quick they are.
skylinecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #25
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinecat View Post
I doubt we will see Jenifer and Broome on the court at the same time very often due to the defensive liability. Jennifer is listed as 5'10 and Broome is listed as 6'0. I'm guessing that is a pretty generous spot for both of them.

It could be interesting if they ran a real heavy press using both of them given how quick they are.
Good point about length on D. Might be a limited option for us but it could also pose some quickness problems on the other side of the ball for the opposing D.

Hopefully Williams is ready to roll. He would be option A for wing depth.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #26
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I just wonder...with Cronin's propensity to use veterans of his system...if we might see Cane as more of a 6th man spark plug early on with Jenifer getting the starting role. If Cane can limit his turnovers from the start it may not happen. Just a thought. We know Cronin will use the bench for motivation if and when he can. Jenifer is no slouch and he proved to Cronin he is willing to listen which will go a long way with coach if Broome gets careless. Careless turnovers will never be acceptable to Cronin if there is a serviceable backup.

I would also note that Broome has witnessed this already by watching for a year so he may not need too much coaching on that issue to get the point.
Some people believe That Cane is already the best player on the team. No way does he not start. He is a game changer for this team.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #27
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Some people believe That Cane is already the best player on the team. No way does he not start. He is a game changer for this team.
I agree he is a game changer and I expect him to start. Just wondering if early turnovers are an issue if Cronin will use the starting role as a teaching tool. Jenifer really did a great job of addressing the issue last year. It does limit his effectiveness somewhat when he is being careful...but coach seems okay with the result. I would like to see something in between being too risky and too careful to maximize the payout. I can deal with some turnovers if the offense is better overall....but the teaching has to be done early on. Mid season I would like to let them play.

Hopefully Cane has taken to heart what he has seen first hand with Cronin's do's and don'ts. Either way, it's hard as a fan to wait to see what a new style is going to bring at PG...not to mention seeing what our newcomers can do. The fan optimism seems to outweigh the doubts at this point.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #28
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Who is saying cane is the best player? I hope he's great but 99% of people haven't seen him play (including me)
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:12 PM   #29
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Who is saying cane is the best player? I hope he's great but 99% of people haven't seen him play (including me)
I believe the coach has said something to that effect. I have heard others say it as well... people who have seen him play in person. He also played two years at Sacred Heart with great success so it's not like he's been in the witness protection program.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:58 AM   #30
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I believe the coach has said something to that effect. I have heard others say it as well... people who have seen him play in person. He also played two years at Sacred Heart with great success so it's not like he's been in the witness protection program.
I've never watched a sacred heart game and I watch a lot of bball. So it is kind of like that.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote