Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Will UC beat Mississippi State?
Yes 21 84.00%
No 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #441
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Maybe Mick thinks the team as a whole will get a better looking shot with Jenifer facilitating things than Broome. Mick said in his last postgame he is relying on Clark, Evans and Washington to carry the load. He wants the ball in their hands. Maybe he thinks Jenifer does a better job than that than Broome.

A pg's job in our offense is to bring the ball up the court and get us into our half court set. Jenifer is better at protecting the ball should they press and is a better passer and sees the floor better. That's what Mick expects of him. When Cane comes in and his first pass is lazy, what is he showing coach? Again, I'm playing devils advocate here cause I'm tired of constantly reading how great we think Broome is and how garbage we think Jenifer is. Broome is a great individual scorer, no question, but Mick wants five guys working together. Mick wants the ball to go inside to Gary and Kyle and they either score in the paint or kick out to an open shooter or reset the offense. We don't have to like it or agree with it and I too can get frustrated with his offense, but that's what it is and will always be. When he says we'll go at a quicker pace, that just means get into the sets quicker and not dribble so much, not a run and gun offense. Mick wants a half court game so we can actually play defense because that's where our advantage comes. And I think he likes Broome to be instant offense off the bench when we are struggling and need to abandon the game plan. Vs. Mississippi State we had a comfortable lead and didn't need Broome. When he did get in, his first pass almost got picked off. They had two good bigs down low, Broome wasn't going to get to the rim vs. those guys, so what was he bringing to the table? Vs. Florida we jumped out to a 10-4 lead and he subbed out Jenifer for Broome and the lead was quickly lost. Now I'm not suggesting Broome is the reason we lost, but facts are facts. Mick wants to run the offense through Gary, Evans and Kyle. He wants them scoring. With those guys all capable of scoring, we don't need Broome to score. Simply put, I think Mick sees a bigger picture than us fans on the board see and understands how five players work together. I think he feels Jenifer works better with the rest of the starters than Broome and likes Broome as a scoring option later of and when needed. When Brooks and Scott get on the floor, you need more perimeter offense, thus Broome.

Now with all that said, I too feel Broome needs to get up to speed cause he's clearly a better scorer and if he can learn to work within the offense and cut down the careless passes and over penetrating at times then he makes the team better than Jenifer does. For us to win in March, a guy like Broome is essential unless we really become a wrecking crew inside and I don't see that happening.
And vs Xavier we got punched out and lost the game before Broome ever got on the floor.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #442
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Mick wants to run the offense through Gary, Evans and Kyle. He wants them scoring. With those guys all capable of scoring, we don't need Broome to score.
interesting since we averaged under 1 PPP vs the 3 better teams we've faced and Broome has the main scorer in 2 of those.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #443
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
then you dont remember correctly. hansbrough was a very good PG, Jerian Grant was a great PG.
I'm not saying they didn't have good pg's, I'm saying I don't remember them dribbling past our defense and us losing ourselves trying to scramble on defense because of it
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #444
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
And vs Xavier we got punched out and lost the game before Broome ever got on the floor.
Sure did. As we have every year at Cintas in the past what 15 years or so? Xavier plays out of their minds at home against us, Broome could've started and that wouldn't change.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #445
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
interesting since we averaged under 1 PPP vs the 3 better teams we've faced and Broome has the main scorer in 2 of those.
And we lost those two......
Old 12-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #446
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
And we lost those two......
yes we did. forcing the ball to those 3. cane did what he did with mick taking the ball out of his hands.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #447
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
I'm not saying they didn't have good pg's, I'm saying I don't remember them dribbling past our defense and us losing ourselves trying to scramble on defense because of it
you should go back and watch some hansbrough highlights. it wasn't just him beating guys off the bounce, he was terrific working the pick and roll game. he was great at beating the hedge.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #448
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
you should go back and watch some hansbrough highlights. it wasn't just him beating guys off the bounce, he was terrific working the pick and roll game. he was great at beating the hedge.
I'm not going to pretend to know all their players from 5-15 years ago. I'll retract my statement of not remembering their pg's being the reason they lit is up several times. Maybe they were. I honestly don't remember or care to. I guess the issue is more why do you think Cane should be compared to Hansbrough or that inserting him into the starting lineup equates to instant easy flowing offense and wide open shooters and bigs. What do you see that Mick doesn't? I've watched every game except the three in the Cayman's. The home games give you a much better chance to see things because seeing a game in person is completely different. I haven't seen anything from Cane to suggest he's a dynamic pg that makes his teammates better. And I have pretty good confidence in Cronin to think he could see that ability in Cane if he possessed it. Cane came in as a selfish scorer, maybe Cronin is keeping him humble and trying to teach him how to play within this team instead of teaching the team to play around Cane.

FWIW, I'm still just playing devils advocate and trying to argue on what I think Mick sees along with what I see with my two eyes. We can agree to disagree on the subject. I don't come on here to continually go back and forth. I stopped that about 3-4 years ago.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #449
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Cane came in as a selfish scorer, maybe Cronin is keeping him humble and trying to teach him how to play within this team instead of teaching the team to play around Cane.
if this is going to keep being the take about cane being a selfish player then somebody will have to explain his assist rate to me and why its higher than 3/4 of caupains seasons and 2/4 of cash's. the stats simply do not support it.

people say he's selfish cause he can score, why do people act like if he gets the ball he wont pass it.