https://youtu.be/kWxuyYF42AA
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #72
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Holy shit...listen to that intro...it sounds like Cronin just woke up from an all night kegger...lol! I gotta give him credit for his tireless effort.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #73
BearcatsNE

BearcatsNE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I think Cronin is seeing how hard Justin Jenifer is playing and he knows players listen to his comments. If flat out praises Cane and gives Cane the starting spot before even a game is played, then its pretty defeating to Jenifer.

I personally think Jenifer can be the kind of PG this particular team needs. He is a guy who doesn't need to take shots and He wont need to with our 4 other starters. I mean for all we know chemistry might be better with Jenifer running the show not Cane. Cronin is making this an open competition and its exactly what a good coach would do and say. I mean think about it how hard Jenifer has worked. The dude was asked to cut down on his TO and then following year he goes out and puts up a 4 to 1 TO ratio. Competition is good. And while I think Cane will be just fine, the reality is that we don't know how he is going to handle playing in front 9k people every night and having a capable guy like Jenifer to back him up is huge. Its a win win IMO

Mick has said already this year that there is no set lineup and the guys he starts will be situational. I think that basically means the PG and C spot are fluid.
Ok so first of all This team do have a set lineup and it have been playing out since about game 4. Which means there isn’t open competition for the spot. And I love both but you can see it. This team is fine either way. But it seem to me as if he’s tired of answering questions regarding Cane. When people are seriously curious about Cane. Let’s just appreciate what we have. And as Sabin did last night put the best players on the court period. If that means sinking the roster which will happen in March then so be it. Let’s appreciate the fact that we have 2 PG that bring different things to the table as soon this past Sunday vs SMU. One that can help build a lead and another one that will maintain it.
BearcatsNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #74
BearcatsNE

BearcatsNE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsNE View Post
Ok so first of all This team do have a set lineup and it have been playing out since about game 4. Which means there isn’t open competition for the spot. And I love both but you can see it. This team is fine either way. But it seem to me as if he’s tired of answering questions regarding Cane. When people are seriously curious about Cane. Let’s just appreciate what we have. And as Sabin did last night put the best players on the court period. If that means sinking the roster which will happen in March then so be it. Let’s appreciate the fact that we have 2 PG that bring different things to the table as soon this past Sunday vs SMU. One that can help build a lead and another one that will maintain it.
I know I’m super late on this post/reply
BearcatsNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #75
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsNE View Post
Haha yea. super late on this reply and as time has went by, my feelings on our PG situation have changed.

Im really happy with the way both are playing but Absolutely Cane needs to be the guy when we need buckets or the other team is making a run. And while I personally would like Cane to Start the rest of the season, I don't think its bad at all if Cane is coming off the bench just because he gets to do what he does best when he is only the floor with other bench guys: Score.

I mean, I think Cane coming off the bench seems more like a compliment to Cane and how well he scores the ball. If Jenifer came off the bench, and went in with Kyle, Gary and Jarron off the floor, were going to have a hard time scoring. Cane is like a starter coming off the bench. Its a great dynamic and change of pace especially when other teams are subbing their bench in.

That said, I want to Cane to be happy at Cincinnati. And I hope he is. He is going to be a crucial part of this team and probably lead this team in scoring next year. The more Evans gets aggressive, the more likely he goes to the NBA and we will lose a ton of scoring.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #76
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I had the same preseason thoughts on the pg spot. I thought and was excited to see what Jenifer could do with his fancy passing with our other four starters all being capable scorers. And I still feel that could be a good idea, BUT I have two problems with this. 1, half court offense nullifies this and 2, I really think Jenifer's assist numbers should be higher. I have no problem with him not looking to score first and distributing the ball, but like I said I'm not sure we're seeing that and his assist numbers definitely don't support it. I will say the past few games he's lost a number of assists by guys missing easy layups early in games. But that happens. Realistically to justify him starting I'd like to see his assist numbers match his points, 7-8 range.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:52 PM   #77
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I had the same preseason thoughts on the pg spot. I thought and was excited to see what Jenifer could do with his fancy passing with our other four starters all being capable scorers. And I still feel that could be a good idea, BUT I have two problems with this. 1, half court offense nullifies this and 2, I really think Jenifer's assist numbers should be higher. I have no problem with him not looking to score first and distributing the ball, but like I said I'm not sure we're seeing that and his assist numbers definitely don't support it. I will say the past few games he's lost a number of assists by guys missing easy layups early in games. But that happens. Realistically to justify him starting I'd like to see his assist numbers match his points, 7-8 range.
I agree...if Jenifer is not a primary scorer his assists should be higher. Cane is doing both when he's in.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #78
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
So basically you want Justin Jenifer to lead the country in assists while playing only 20 minutes a game? That’s a little absurd in my opinion.
7-8 assists would be about 4th in the country.

Per 40 minutes, he is averaging right around 6 assists per game.

He is literally producing assists at the same per 40 as Troy caupain.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #79
justinhub2003
Epic Member

We’re 35th in the country in assists, we have 4 guys average 3+ a game.

We play through the post and every one shares the ball, we don’t have one sole playmaker, we have a legit 5 guys who can make plays. When you have that, and you play through the post a lot, your not going to have a pg with a ton of assists.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #80
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
So basically you want Justin Jenifer to lead the country in assists while playing only 20 minutes a game? That’s a little absurd in my opinion.
7-8 assists would be about 4th in the country.

Per 40 minutes, he is averaging right around 6 assists per game.

He is literally producing assists at the same per 40 as Troy caupain.
Maybe that's a little high if he's only getting 20 minutes, but yes I don't see any reason he can't be a top pg in assists with four scorers around him. He was at one time the #1 rated pg recruit in the country and he wowed some national pundits in various showcases his senior year. Mick's offense doesn't suit his game. My point is more to justify him starting his assists need to be higher.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote