Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2018, 10:30 PM   #81
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Holy shit...listen to that intro...it sounds like Cronin just woke up from an all night kegger...lol! I gotta give him credit for his tireless effort.
Lol
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #82
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
He was at one time the #1 rated pg recruit in the country and he wowed some national pundits in various showcases his senior year.
He was 13 years old when that happened. And he had a terrible spring and summer prior to his senior year. I don't know one national guy that saw him that thought he was a can't miss high major recruit, and I pretty much know them all. This is crazy talk...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:58 PM   #83
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
He was 13 years old when that happened. And he had a terrible spring and summer prior to his senior year. I don't know one national guy that saw him that thought he was a can't miss high major recruit, and I pretty much know them all. This is crazy talk...
And he's starting for us?
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:17 AM   #84
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
And he's starting for us?
He’s starting in his Jr year after 2 years of development and learning.

3 star players are players you need to develop and turn into good players. Jenifer is starting but he is only playing 20 a game
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #85
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
We’re 35th in the country in assists, we have 4 guys average 3+ a game.

We play through the post and every one shares the ball, we don’t have one sole playmaker, we have a legit 5 guys who can make plays. When you have that, and you play through the post a lot, your not going to have a pg with a ton of assists.
I would like to see him average 1 more assist per game with the same amount of minutes. He's going to have to create a little more or push the pace to get that done. That is kind of his job. If he is just out there to get the ball to other players without setting them up for easy looks...he's not really pushing the envelop. He is a good ball handler in press situations and he usually takes care of the ball. His D has been pretty good for his size. I just want to see more of his clever passing ability...especially getting out on breaks but also from at least a mild amount of penetration.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #86
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
So basically you want Justin Jenifer to lead the country in assists while playing only 20 minutes a game? That’s a little absurd in my opinion.
7-8 assists would be about 4th in the country.

Per 40 minutes, he is averaging right around 6 assists per game.

He is literally producing assists at the same per 40 as Troy caupain.

Jenifer has the lowest assistrate of any starting PG since Mick got here at 21.8. And he's doing it for a team that shoots better than any team since Mick got here.

Cane's assistrate of 28.2 ranks as the 5th highest of any PG for a single season since Mick got here. (Cash 31.5 in 2011, Vaughn 30.9 in 2008, Cash 30.0 in 2012, Caupain 29.0 in 2016).
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #87
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Jenifer has the lowest assistrate of any starting PG since Mick got here at 21.8. And he's doing it for a team that shoots better than any team since Mick got here.

Cane's assistrate of 28.2 ranks as the 5th highest of any PG for a single season since Mick got here. (Cash 31.5 in 2011, Vaughn 30.9 in 2008, Cash 30.0 in 2012, Caupain 29.0 in 2016).

Im not debating that Jenifer is great. Im saying that 7-8 assists in 20 minutes of action is unrealistic. He Also starts and the first 5 minutes of nearly every college basketball game, starts slow while teams figure each other out.

Jenifer is not a drive and kick PG, he is a direct the offense, get people in their right spots and keep the ball moving.

IMO, Jenifer is more the hockey assists kind of PG. Pass it the guy who draws the defense who then kicks to the guy who makes the shot.

1. Would have been Hockey Assist for Jenifer (miss): Good look
2. Would have been a hockey Assist for Jenifer (miss): Good Look
3. Post Play from GC, no assists on these slow drawn out plays (Miss): Good look
4. Post Play, Miss: Good Look
5. Post Play (TO): Bad Possession from bigs
6. Transistion drive to basket for JJ (Fouled) Good Look
7. Pass from JJ to Evams who was cutting but decided to pass to the open man JC for missed 3 pointer (Miss): Good Look
8. Evans 3 point made on assist from Cumberland: Good Look
9. Post Play, Near TO, pushed to JJ who Turned it over on a travel: Bad Possession

There is 9 plays to start the game and only 2 were bad possessions and none were direct assists opportunities for Jenifer but 7 generated good looks from the offense. 4 were post plays to establish an inside game that generally don't generate assists for the PG.

Context is everything. Breaking down the film can should you why certain stats look the way they do.

Jenifer finished that game with 4 assists and had none in the first 5 minutes do to the way our bigs were catching and waiting for double teams. That means he finished with 4 assists in 24 minutes. I won't ever be unhappy with that on a team that plays a lot of possession through the post
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:32 PM   #88
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
I realize it was 8th grade he was the #1 rated recruit, still says something about your potential and I didn't mean to suggest by his senior year he was a can't miss high major recruit. I said he impressed a lot in various showcases. Going back and looking at his recruiting thread to find what I was remembering him getting praise from was the NBA top 100 camp. And he got plenty of love there going against the best players. Was raved for his passing and called a top assist man. Back to the point I was making, I'm saying to justify him starting he needs to be that top assist guy he was recruited for. He's not, no where near it. I threw out a random number of assists to which I was scoffed at for and that's fine. But I reiterated there's no reason to think he couldn't be a leading assist guy in the country with four capable scorers around him because leading into his senior year he was being touted as just that.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #89
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
https://youtu.be/uTJFu0Rs1NE

Gary Clark
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #90
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Great stuff there! Gary is a class act in many ways.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote