Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #1311
UC86

UC86 is on a distinguished road
Wow! Crazy ending in the Duke-Syracuse game! The Cuse tied it with 35 secs left and hit a buzzer beater 3 to win it. Only team I enjoy seeing lose more than Duke is Kentucky.
UC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #1312
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Syracuse goes 2 for 1 at the end and banks in a three at the buzzer to beat Duke.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #1313
UC86

UC86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxCat31 View Post
Realistically, losses by both GA Tech and Clemson last night should eliminate them from an at-large big, right? I can't imagine a 12-loss Clemson getting in.
GA Tech has wins over UNC, FSU and ND. So, I wouldn't be surprised if they get in but Clemson should be eliminated. Their résumé is very underwhelming, best win is against a South Carolina team that might not make the tournament.
UC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #1314
Garybearcat

Garybearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Syracuse goes 2 for 1 at the end and banks in a three at the buzzer to beat Duke.
Great game! Love it when Duke loses. The "Kick-boxer" threw up a brick in final minute. I know we had no shot at Kennard, but can you imagine our team if we had landed that local talent. We would be undefeated right now and #1 in the county, no question in my mind. Well enough with the dreaming.........
Garybearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #1315
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Does anyone else think it's absolutely ridiculous that Xavier is still projected as an 8 seed in the tourney?

I get that they have a high SOS and the RPI still gives them a top 25 ranking but at some point don't you actually have to win a game? Xavier's best win this season is at Creighton, behind that they're next best wins are against Wake, Clemson and Providence. Is college basketball really looking to reward teams simply because they play a tough schedule?

I don't want to make the argument that playing in a tough conference, like the ACC or Big East, doesn't give you some room for error but at some point shouldn't you have to start winning games against the highly ranked teams you're playing. When we were in the Big East if all we did was beat up on DePaul, St Johns, Providence and Seton Hall odd are we weren't going to the tourney.

Is this merely a symptom of a down year and a weak bubble or has college hoops swayed too hard in the direction of rewarding teams simply for playing a tough schedule?

FYI, Xavier has lost 8 of their last 13 games and they play Butler next. Good chance they go 9 of 14 games with a loss. Many of their losses have been blowouts too, it's not like they're losing close games.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #1316
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Does anyone else think it's absolutely ridiculous that Xavier is still projected as an 8 seed in the tourney?

I get that they have a high SOS and the RPI still gives them a top 25 ranking but at some point don't you actually have to win a game? Xavier's best win this season is at Creighton, behind that they're next best wins are against Wake, Clemson and Providence. Is college basketball really looking to reward teams simply because they play a tough schedule?

I don't want to make the argument that playing in a tough conference, like the ACC or Big East, doesn't give you some room for error but at some point shouldn't you have to start winning games against the highly ranked teams you're playing. When we were in the Big East if all we did was beat up on DePaul, St Johns, Providence and Seton Hall odd are we weren't going to the tourney.

Is this merely a symptom of a down year and a weak bubble or has college hoops swayed too hard in the direction of rewarding teams simply for playing a tough schedule?

FYI, Xavier has lost 8 of their last 13 games and they play Butler next. Good chance they go 9 of 14 games with a loss. Many of their losses have been blowouts too, it's not like they're losing close games.
Despite reality, if you say your conference is tough enough times it leaves an impression. Which is why, despite the shit teams in the bottom half of the aac, we should talk about how tough the top half is...Maybe not this year but typically
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #1317
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

I agree. I think there is a bias out there (and among this committee) that they care more about what league you play in and the name on the front than the results. Some of this is laziness by people projecting brackets. Some of this, I believe, is a bias towards wanting to make sure they are vindicated for how they predicted teams to do in the preseason.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #1318
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Despite reality, if you say your conference is tough enough times it leaves an impression. Which is why, despite the shit teams in the bottom half of the aac, we should talk about how tough the top half is...Maybe not this year but typically
I'm not arguing that these conferences aren't tough. There's no doubt in my mind that the ACC and Big East are very tough conferences, especially when compared to the AAC.

My point is that you shouldn't be rewarded for playing tough games if you aren't winning any of them.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:29 PM   #1319
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not arguing that these conferences aren't tough. There's no doubt in my mind that the ACC and Big East are very tough conferences, especially when compared to the AAC.

My point is that you shouldn't be rewarded for playing tough games if you aren't winning any of them.
This is my thing too.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #1320
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I'm agreeing with you. But the big east def isn't the acc. The big east has one legit team right now and a few fringe top 25s. But hearing some people talk make it out to be a grueling schedule.

I think it's sad that perception/hype weighs more than w/l... Even if they are playing tougher teams they are still losing.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote