Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

View Poll Results: Will UC win against UCF?
Yes 1 4.17%
No 23 95.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #21
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Anyone able to explain to me just what in the h-e double hockey sticks we think we're doing on offense? I don't get it one bit. Our defense is awful. It's bad. We give up drives, big plays, we're on the field a lot, it's bad. Really bad. Why not use the offense to at least try to help them out a little bit? We threw the ball 40 times and our RBs combined for 13 carries...which is the same amount as the QB. WTF? I mean, Hayden Moore is a 56.3% career passer and he's at 53.5% this year. So why are we throwing so much before 3rd down? NORMALLY I'd understand it. I like having balance and keeping the defense guessing on whether it's run or pass. But this isn't normal. Our defense is bad, our 3 RBs are good, the QB can actually move a little bit, and we complete a low % of passes. So why stop the clock 17 times with incompletions and 0 yard plays? How about we run early and try to set up 3rd and manageable? Is that so crazy? We have a 0% chance of winning if we're going to try to have a shootout with UCF, USF...basically anyone good. So why are we making these games so long? The goal for our offense should be to chew up 5 minutes any time we have it. I don't even care if we score. Just keep the defense off the damn field as much as possible.

I get that we aren't that good, but getting our a$$es beat every week without even being competitive is getting a little old. I mean we're 2 TDs off from even covering spreads. That's underachieving...even for a rebuilding team. We have 5 games left that *should* be winnable. Not saying we will win, or even should win, but they should be winnable. What are we doing to set ourselves up to win those games? I figured even at our worst we were better than Temple, ECU, and UConn. But now idk. I mean we'll almost certainly lose to Temple. And the way we're trending, those other games aren't locks either. And I'm not even putting Tulane in the category of games we should win. We aren't seeing much progress. That should start to change at this point. Our coaches have now had time to see what these guys can and can't do. Let's see some adjustments now.
The one side of the ball I thought we could at least not get embarrassed was on D. A good defensive coach should be able to mitigate the damage of not having the talent to a certain degree. I was not expecting us to give up rushing records to Navy etc. That is a combination of having not very good football players but it also speaks to defensive strategy and knowing assignments (discipline). I figured we would at least know our assignments and be able to carry them out most of the time. I am pretty sure we can't put this all on the players missing tackles etc.

Of course we have to give CLF time to address the situation and get his recruits in the game...but I was not expecting to get embarrassed in the process. A little concerned right now...but it's still very early I guess.

On offense I agree...we should run the ball more than pass at this time.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #22
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Going back to the Marshall game, we had 23 incomplete passes and 20 rushing attempts from our 3 RBs. We're counting too much on the all or nothing plays. It's either 3 and out or we break something off. Not steady enough to operate that way with this group. I don't like the idea of the coaches not being flexible to personnel. If you can only coach 1 system, 1 way, you're only going to have success when the stars align. This team can't afford to stop the clock 20+ times per game with 0 yards on those plays on top of it. It has to be a steadily moving forward type situation imo. If we have success running early, we can use that as a threat on 3rd down too, so we don't slip into being one'dimensional, or behind on the down and distance so often.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #23
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
@PFF_College
PFF Week 6 - AAC Team of the Week - Defense https://t.co/xqLZbzIjwK

@PFF_College
PFF Week 6 - AAC Team of the Week - Offense https://t.co/pEjxTA7vPh

Broughton on defense.

Deguara and Campbell on offense.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 10-11-2017 at 05:44 PM.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote