Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will UC beat Mississippi State?
Yes 21 84.00%
No 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #341
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If you asked me if I would take 33% from 3 against X, FLA, and Miss St...before the games I would have said yes without hesitation. Our team shot 30% in those 3 games combined. Evans was 3 of 13 vs X and FLA for 23%. Jarron was 5 of 13. I don't think we need to put too much emphasis on one game is all I am saying.

Again...I am much more concerned with Cumberland shooting 2's right now. His 3's are roughly the same as last year. His 2's aren't even close.
I wouldn't have. He is much better then that. On the year he is 18-30 from the foul line and his 2 pt % is down. Coming off his freshman year and getting more playing time he has not been anything near what I had hoped for.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #342
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I wouldn't have. He is much better then that. On the year he is 18-30 from the foul line and his 2 pt % is down. Coming off his freshman year and getting more playing time he has not been anything near what I had hoped for.
I would agree with you on 2's and FT's but that was not your main concern I was responding to. You were on his case about 3's. He's 36% on the year. That is a very acceptable rate (especially if it's a low point). That is as good as 9 out of 10 wings that Cronin has ever coached with their career averages. I think Parker was the only guy above 36% for a career with 100 makes. We now have Evans, Cumberland, Kyle, Jenifer, Broome, Moore, above those %'s even if some have not made 100 yet. Most players get a little better over time. Kyle will never make 100 threes...but the rest probably will.

I think we are forgetting how bad our shooting has been over the years. Now we have a guy shooting 36% and we are complaining. Blueitt has a career average of 38% and Macura 35%. Troy was 34% and KJ 32% I think. Dixon 29%...and the list goes on
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #343
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would agree with you on 2's and FT's but that was not your main concern I was responding to. You were on his case about 3's. He's 36% on the year. That is a very acceptable rate (especially if it's a low point). That is as good as 9 out of 10 wings that Cronin has ever coached with their career averages. I think Parker was the only guy above 36% for a career with 100 makes. We now have Evans, Cumberland, Kyle, Jenifer, Broome, Moore, above those %'s even if some have not made 100 yet. Most players get a little better over time. Kyle will never make 100 threes...but the rest probably will.

I think we are forgetting how bad our shooting has been over the years. Now we have a guy shooting 36% and we are complaining. Blueitt has a career average of 38% and Macura 35%. Troy was 34% and KJ 32% I think. Dixon 29%...and the list goes on
WH my concern is we need him to be a much better player then a spot up 36% 3pt shooter. Actually since the 7 turnover Buffalo game he really seems to be on the decline across the board. After such a promising freshman year I think me and a number of fans were expecting much more of a bump then a slight increase in his 3 PT %. Actually he really hasn't resembled the same player in my eyes and I am concerned. Without his improved game it will be very tough to have a decent season. He is a big part of the team and no matter how you try to frame it the production has not been there. Comparing him to other players will not hide the fact that he has regressed as a player instead of improving. Also these little things you speak of should also include hitting FT's and taking care of the ball.

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 12-13-2017 at 01:11 PM.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #344
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEER CINCY View Post
THIS. SPOT ON MY FRIEND. Having to arrive 1hr prior to tipoff to beat traffic only to have literally NOWHERE to grab a drink or bite to eat, its unbearable. Our PG play is better than the fan experience NKU provides
I won’t go to any place that serves RC cola.

Also season ticket holder accounts got free parking at Nku.

I have gotten to the game 30 minutes early every game and it’s been fine for me.

The searts I have at NKU for the price are way better then they’d get me at US Bank.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #345
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
WH my concern is we need him to be a much better player then a spot up 36% 3pt shooter. Actually since the 7 turnover Buffalo game he really seems to be on the decline across the board. After such a promising freshman year I think me and a number of fans were expecting much more of a bump then a slight increase in his 3 PT %. Actually he really hasn't resembled the same player in my eyes and I am concerned. Without his improved game it will be very tough to have a decent season. He is a big part of the team and no matter how you try to frame it the production has not been there. Comparing him to other players will not hide the fact that he has regressed as a player instead of improving. Also these little things you speak of should also include hitting FT's and taking care of the ball.
Okay...I can agree with all of that.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #346
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEER CINCY View Post
THIS. SPOT ON MY FRIEND. Having to arrive 1hr prior to tipoff to beat traffic only to have literally NOWHERE to grab a drink or bite to eat, its unbearable. Our PG play is better than the fan experience NKU provides
Smash burger, chipotle, toppers pizza, and barleycorns are all right there. Barelycorns also provides a free shuttle
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #347
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Smash burger, chipotle, toppers pizza, and barleycorns are all right there. Barelycorns also provides a free shuttle
None of those places are within walking distance so you have to go eat, then get in your car and sit in traffic to get to the arena. Barleycorns does have a shuttle, but still have to sit in traffic correct, not like a helicopter shuttle. The issue besides BB&T being a complete fire hazard with two exits (Compared to 5/3 where there are what 50-60 doors to leave, never waited in a line to leave ever) is that everyone is coming from Ohio and there are only 2 ways to cross bridge and hwy dead ends into NKU. Highland heights police and their maneuvering traffic before and afterwards is so piss poor. UC must have gotten sweet deal for this, UC fans are paying for it, only 1 year, but it is going to be brutal, especially when conference starts and weather could be issue also
Old 12-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #348
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
None of those places are within walking distance so you have to go eat, then get in your car and sit in traffic to get to the arena. Barleycorns does have a shuttle, but still have to sit in traffic correct, not like a helicopter shuttle. The issue besides BB&T being a complete fire hazard with two exits (Compared to 5/3 where there are what 50-60 doors to leave, never waited in a line to leave ever) is that everyone is coming from Ohio and there are only 2 ways to cross bridge and hwy dead ends into NKU. Highland heights police and their maneuvering traffic before and afterwards is so piss poor. UC must have gotten sweet deal for this, UC fans are paying for it, only 1 year, but it is going to be brutal, especially when conference starts and weather could be issue also
Can't agree more about the cops directing traffic....they make it worse, not better.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #349
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I was expecting a bump too. But if we can get 30+ minutes at last year's numbers I would basically consider that a bump because we get 10 more minutes of JC and 10 less from KJ. I was one who didn't think there was any way he could keep up 65% from 2 but I didn't expect it to drop over 20%. I expect him to make over 50% of his 2's. I don't know why he struggles from the line. He needs to get that over 70% at a min. I don't worry about his TO's or his 3 point %. WE need him to get back to being aggressive at going in the lane and converting.

I agree...I would like him to be playing better or equal to last year. Expecting him to get better is a tall order in terms of %'s though. I will take equal with more minutes on the court.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #350
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Can't agree more about the cops directing traffic....they make it worse, not better.
My question is why do they block off roads when leaving and direct everyone the same direction? Why does it matter how you leave the campus?