Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 9+ 8 32.00%
UC wins by 5-8 7 28.00%
UC wins by 1-4 8 32.00%
SMU wins 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #321
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Caupain struggled around the rim. He got swatted a lot and him overdriving was why we were so bad in late clock situations for years. And Cumberland may be aggressive but he also gets blocked sometimes and picks up a zillion charges. I don't want Evans trying to force his way all the way in. He has enough touch that if he can rise up and get a clean look, I'll take that. Now 19 feet isn't ideal. But 12-17 is what I'd hope for.
I can't deny that. But we don't get to see Evans even trying the drive to the bucket. I wish we could see a nice mixture of pull ups and drives. I don't want him to force it until he learns how to do it first. I would much rather see a nice mixture from Evans but there is none right now.

Let me say this...Evans is one of 2 players I wouldn't like to live without. He's just EXTREMELY important!! I am not knocking him...just asking for some slight changes really. If he can't do those...I will take what we get. Gary and Jake are not replaceable!!!!!!!!!!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #322
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Caupain struggled around the rim. He got swatted a lot and him overdriving was why we were so bad in late clock situations for years. And Cumberland may be aggressive but he also gets blocked sometimes and picks up a zillion charges. I don't want Evans trying to force his way all the way in. He has enough touch that if he can rise up and get a clean look, I'll take that. Now 19 feet isn't ideal. But 12-17 is what I'd hope for.
caupain often got swatted by the help defender, but that goes to how awful our spacing is. having a big stand on the lower block while you're running iso attempting to get to the rim is so silly. yet we do it constantly.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #323
cincrulz11
Epic Member

i mean look at this. the plan was obviously for evans to keep the ball, why do we have both bigs standing down there. im sure mick will say "to get a rebound". but you make it so much harder on yourself by doing this. jake basically has to take a long jumper, if he drives he's got 2 guys waiting for him even if he beats his man.
Attached Images
File Type: png spacing.PNG (223.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #324
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
caupain often got swatted by the help defender, but that goes to how awful our spacing is. having a big stand on the lower block while you're running iso attempting to get to the rim is so silly. yet we do it constantly.
I think the main problem with Troy is that EVERY single team knew what was coming in the final seconds of a clock. For him to be able to get it done sometimes was a minor miracle in itself...and speaks to his determination. Not his fault if it wasn't highly productive really.

I would rather see a few more play options. I hope the end of the Temple game doesn't embolden Cronin to try it more often with Evans rather than to mix it up. Imagine being Troy and the entire defense knowing what was about to go down and then still doing a fairly good job of completing the task??

We have so many more options now.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #325
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
i mean look at this. the plan was obviously for evans to keep the ball, why do we have both bigs standing down there. im sure mick will say "to get a rebound". but you make it so much harder on yourself by doing this. jake basically has to take a long jumper, if he drives he's got 2 guys waiting for him even if he beats his man.
Yah...if you are going to ISO...then ISO. Get the hell out of the way
Old 01-09-2018, 11:37 AM   #326
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think the main problem with Troy is that EVERY single team knew what was coming in the final seconds of a clock. For him to be able to get it done sometimes was a minor miracle in itself...and speaks to his determination. Not his fault if it wasn't highly productive really.

I would rather see a few more play options. I hope the end of the Temple game doesn't embolden Cronin to try it more often with Evans rather than to mix it up. Imagine being Troy and the entire defense knowing what was about to go down and then still doing a fairly good job of completing the task??

We have so many more options now.

yeah exactly, troy wasn't going 1 on 1, he was going 1 on 3. spread them out. force them to choose between leaving the lane open or giving us an open 3. its probably a higher percentage shot with anybody taking a 3 (outside of clark) over these contested long jumpers or trying to lay it in over 3 guys.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #327
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
yeah exactly, troy wasn't going 1 on 1, he was going 1 on 3. spread them out. force them to choose between leaving the lane open or giving us an open 3. its probably a higher percentage shot with anybody taking a 3 (outside of clark) over these contested long jumpers or trying to lay it in over 3 guys.
Exactly! I can't wait to see the "trick plays" we have heard of. The one's we are waiting for because we didn't want to see the rest of conference scouting for. I can only hope some of them have Cane involved.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #328
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah...pretty much. We might not be doing it next year though!
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #329
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
We don't need a rebound if we're truly waiting for the last shot.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #330
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Maybe not outside of Clark if it's from a pass inside and he can step in.