Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 15+ 10 30.30%
UC wins by 10-14 13 39.39%
UC wins by 1-9 8 24.24%
Temple wins 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #21
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
God I love Cronin. He is spitting some hard truth in this interview. Never satisfied.
im only 1:30 in, and as much as we hate how bad usf and ecu are, we didn't play well vs either team and might have been in danger vs a not awful team.

just saying its not always the worst to play a horrible team in your worst performance of the year (according to mick)
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #22
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post

he's so dead on about the charge call and the purpose of the restricted arc. that stuff drives me nuts.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #23
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
he's so dead on about the charge call and the purpose of the restricted arc. that stuff drives me nuts.
100%.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #24
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
God I love Cronin. He is spitting some hard truth in this interview. Never satisfied.
He's really in the zone this year. Laser focus from our coaching staff. Very good energy coming from the leadership in our program. Players and coaches alike.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:15 PM   #25
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

This is the closest poll of the year I think. No one can ever really know what to make of Temple.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #26
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
I think this is the game we put it altogether and win convincingly. UC is due for a really good game where everyone is on.The main thing is getting off to a fast start.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #27
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is the closest poll of the year I think. No one can ever really know what to make of Temple.
Temple wins though... who did this. Make yourself known lol
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #28
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
As much as I like Clark, a lot of our slow starts can be partially put on his shoulders. I can recall a number of games where he gets the ball and does nothing with it and also where he misses some bunnies early. With that said, it comes down to Micks gameplan, so I agree the lineup isn't going to change. Mick wants to run the offense through Gary and Kyle and understandably so. Well, he likes to pull Kyle two minutes into a game half the time so we end up feeding Gary. He called Gary out in the South Florida game for getting the ball and waiting for the double team. And Gary responded beautifully. Vs. ECU, Gary missed some easy shots early and he pulled Kyle for something early. We end up settling for jump shots a lot early in games and that doesn't lead to quick points when no one is hot. The team needs to get into their rythym earlier. A lot of people say Cane is the one who jump starts things, but that isn't really typically the case. He got in two minutes into the game the other night and we looked no better. Same vs. South Florida, he came in around his usual time and we didn't really wake up till late in the first half. Whereas I'm as concerned as anyone about slow starts at least our defense is still there. In the past we might get down big. With this team we hang around with teams maybe longer than we should but we don't really get down big (the 10 points to South Florida withstanding and of course the Xavier game).
Well David, although this is blasphemy, you may have a point. There's reading the defense, then there is standing and holding the ball. As you mention though, Clark did seem to respond and has really cranked up the urgency. Let's hope that continues. We have to keep the ball moving.

Where I disagree is when you say Broome coming in isn't typically what jumpstarts us. People have pointed out the +/- numbers. And it's the most apples to apples you can get with that stat when you're talking about the same position. And it's a consistent thing. It's not like Broome has had the edge there in just a game here or there. Maybe he doesn't come in and just start completely changing the game from the first possession. But him pressing the issue and finding the gaps for easy looks and FT attempts is exactly the right recipe when we are off to a slower start. It's a good way for an electric player to get himself in the game. And it also freaks out the other team's coaching staff I'm sure bc there's no doubt Broome is a big point of emphasis when scouting us. It loosens up the game. And that benefits us bc we are just flat out more talented than the teams we play.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #29
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Temple wins though... who did this. Make yourself known lol
Yeah that should be a rule. You pick the opponent, especially in our gym, you need to explain yourself.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #30
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well David, although this is blasphemy, you may have a point. There's reading the defense, then there is standing and holding the ball. As you mention though, Clark did seem to respond and has really cranked up the urgency. Let's hope that continues. We have to keep the ball moving.

Where I disagree is when you say Broome coming in isn't typically what jumpstarts us. People have pointed out the +/- numbers. And it's the most apples to apples you can get with that stat when you're talking about the same position. And it's a consistent thing. It's not like Broome has had the edge there in just a game here or there. Maybe he doesn't come in and just start completely changing the game from the first possession. But him pressing the issue and finding the gaps for easy looks and FT attempts is exactly the right recipe when we are off to a slower start. It's a good way for an electric player to get himself in the game. And it also freaks out the other team's coaching staff I'm sure bc there's no doubt Broome is a big point of emphasis when scouting us. It loosens up the game. And that benefits us bc we are just flat out more talented than the teams we play.
I think Cincrulz11 has done a very good job of keeping track of plus minus lately with the PG's. I wish we still had a site available that did all that work for us but I appreciate the work he has done.

The last time I remember plus minus being available online was when Cobb was in his SR year. For most of the year he came in off the bench after 5 minutes were up in each half. The crazy thing is Cobb's plus minus was BETTER than KJ who was playing the first 5 minutes of each half with all the starters (or 10 total minutes Cobb did not get with all starters). When you play with the starters you should get a big bump in plus minus vs when the bench starts coming in. That was not the case and I don't recall it being close.

When you are leading plus minus with a starter or two on the bench...and you are leading it in a big way...it becomes all the more apparent who needs to be in the game. Jenifer ought to be leading the plus minus category simply because he gets to play with the starters early on in each half. But Cane seems to be crushing him lately coming off the bench when we are likely to have another bench player or two in the game sometimes.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote