Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #641
jflight21

jflight21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Thanks for posting. I almost forgot just how good he is. bombing 3's without leaving the floor. Best pump fake perhaps we have seen at UC in well over a decade. Instincts are off the charts. Body control is excellent. NO fear. Timing is impeccable. Running floater is deadly.

Gonna be fun to watch this year!
An additional underrated aspect of his game is that he is so efficient scoring from 2 point range. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times KJ took it to the rim in the half court. Cumberland can finish with either hand very well (as shown in the youtube video), particularly in the open court.

Replacing Caupain/KJ, two below average layup makers, with Broome/Cumberland has a chance to push the offensive efficiency up another notch.
jflight21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #642
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
I get that Cumberland is replacing Johnson in the starting lineup, but he isn't really the replacement for Johnson overall. Cumberland played 9 less minutes than Johnson...so he'll be the Johnson replacement for less than half of Johnson's minutes. The 15-18 or so minutes unaccounted for from last year will have to be filled by going small and playing Jenifer and Broome together, with Broome at the "2". Or Evans playing the 2 with Williams at the 3. Or T Moore's minutes. No one has any doubts about Cumberland, and we shouldn't. But the collection of the other guys is what will need to outproduce Johnson. And it's very do-able when you look at Evans (but really Williams being the new guy on the floor), or Broome's scoring ability, or T Moore's shooting.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #643
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflight21 View Post
An additional underrated aspect of his game is that he is so efficient scoring from 2 point range. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times KJ took it to the rim in the half court. Cumberland can finish with either hand very well (as shown in the youtube video), particularly in the open court.

Replacing Caupain/KJ, two below average layup makers, with Broome/Cumberland has a chance to push the offensive efficiency up another notch.
KJ was certainly bad at the rim. But Troy was a pretty good finisher.

that said JC is better than both. He is also lethal in transistion. He was good for 1.3 points per possession in transistion, which is better than 88% of D1 players. And he also made 60% of his guarded Catch and shoot jump shots. Which is really good.

Another part of his game that we don't really appreciate is his defense. He allowed just .73 Points per possession on defense. In Synergy that kind of number rates you as an "Excellent" defender.

I think he makes up for his misses on defense by being really smart and defensively aware of where the ball is going.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #644
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I get that Cumberland is replacing Johnson in the starting lineup, but he isn't really the replacement for Johnson overall. Cumberland played 9 less minutes than Johnson...so he'll be the Johnson replacement for less than half of Johnson's minutes. The 15-18 or so minutes unaccounted for from last year will have to be filled by going small and playing Jenifer and Broome together, with Broome at the "2". Or Evans playing the 2 with Williams at the 3. Or T Moore's minutes. No one has any doubts about Cumberland, and we shouldn't. But the collection of the other guys is what will need to outproduce Johnson. And it's very do-able when you look at Evans (but really Williams being the new guy on the floor), or Broome's scoring ability, or T Moore's shooting.
Jarron will play 28 minutes or more in my opinion. Evans will play 32 at least. That leaves 20 minutes to be split between the 2 and 3 spots which I think Keith can fill 14 of them and Trevor another 6.

Jarron had to be the backup for both Jacob and KJ. But now we have some flexibility in terms of back ups.

KJ played 348 more minutes than Jarron did, but Jarron was so much better and one can only assume he will get even better. Jarron for example drew 30 more fouls than KJ did last year. Jarron was also second on the team in AND 1's last year, only behind Troy who had 15 to JC's 13.

his growth plus starting plus more minutes could equal 14-15 ppg for Jarron. I don't at all think thats crazy, and if he does do that, he will essentially have replaced KJ's and his own offenisve production from last season all by himself.

His per 40 minute scoring matches Jacob evans (17.5 vs 17). Except Jarron is a freshman.

You could say Jarron is the most offensively talented played on the team and statistically you wouldn't be wrong. He had such a better freshman season than Jacob did
Old 09-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #645
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Evans is the most talented player on our team and one of the most talented players in the country he does things athletically that other players just can not do, I don't think people mention how quick he is, he is one of the quickest players I've ever seen and he makes everything look effortless. Evans only weakness is at times he can make dumb fouls, but I'm ok with that because I want him playing aggressive.

Cumberland is a weird player because he's probably the least athletic person on our team (meaning quickness and jumping). But he has the best court awareness I've ever seen. he never makes mistakes and he is that guy that's always in the right place at the right time. Cumberland is also that guy to me that has the clutch gene, in big games he seems to play better and rise to the occasion.

All that being said I think we have a great shooting guard and small forward and it's nice to have two guys with such different styles on the court at once both guys who are very efficient.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #646
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Evans is the most talented player on our team and one of the most talented players in the country he does things athletically that other players just can not do, I don't think people mention how quick he is, he is one of the quickest players I've ever seen and he makes everything look effortless. Evans only weakness is at times he can make dumb fouls, but I'm ok with that because I want him playing aggressive.

Cumberland is a weird player because he's probably the least athletic person on our team (meaning quickness and jumping). But he has the best court awareness I've ever seen. he never makes mistakes and he is that guy that's always in the right place at the right time. Cumberland is also that guy to me that has the clutch gene, in big games he seems to play better and rise to the occasion.

All that being said I think we have a great shooting guard and small forward and it's nice to have two guys with such different styles on the court at once both guys who are very efficient.

This is why I said offensively. Not overall.

I mean we have to keep in perspective that jarron’s freshman year was so much better than Evans. If jarron makes the same leap Jacob made, then hands down Cumberland is the better offensive threat. Jarron scores at all 3 levels, gets fouled and isn’t shy at all.

And Jacobs other issue is he either can’t take defenders off the dribble or doesn’t like too. If a team is taking away the 3 point shot, who would I want to drive the ball to the rim? Jarron

I’m really hoping Evans gets better at that this year. You said he is quick but his first step isn’t at all. Jarron on the other hand takes the SK approach and attack’s on the catch

Last edited by justinhub2003; 09-19-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #647
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In the big (close) games I fully expect to see Evans for about 35 minutes and JC for about 32.5. That will leave around 12.5 for Williams, Moore, and Jenifer etc. That is in the games that are close. Half of KJ's minutes will go to Cumberland. I don't recall JC getting too tired last year. He is so efficient with his movements it looks like he's not even trying at times.

In other games we can use the bench a lot more and get them experience. I don't think we should have much problem replacing the rest of KJ's minutes on offense with Williams, Moore, or Jenifer really. KJ scored most of his career at a freshman type of rate. Perhaps with Williams on D we might not lose too much there either.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #648
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Who in our conference is better in transition than Evans and Cumberland? Anyone?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #649
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
In the big (close) games I fully expect to see Evans for about 35 minutes and JC for about 32.5. That will leave around 12.5 for Williams, Moore, and Jenifer etc. That is in the games that are close. Half of KJ's minutes will go to Cumberland. I don't recall JC getting too tired last year. He is so efficient with his movements it looks like he's not even trying at times.

In other games we can use the bench a lot more and get them experience. I don't think we should have much problem replacing the rest of KJ's minutes on offense with Williams, Moore, or Jenifer really. KJ scored most of his career at a freshman type of rate. Perhaps with Williams on D we might not lose too much there either.
In his last 10 games as a frosh (some of our most important games of the year) JC topped 30 minutes twice and topped 27 minutes 3 more times. I expect that number to be on the rise this year with KJ out of the equation and JC having done an excellent job to close the season out. He was trending toward 30 minutes as a frosh so I don't think it will be a problem as a soph.

Again...I am just talking close games where we don't have the luxury of giving our bench experience minutes. I don't care if he only gets 20 minutes in a blowout.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #650
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Who in our conference is better in transition than Evans and Cumberland? Anyone?
Cumberland is good no doubt but he needs to learn to avoid the charges.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote