Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles

Old 09-15-2017, 10:19 PM   #41
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
I think Cumberland ended up ranked 43. Pretty nice. To me, his ranking was based upon his play, not potential (like Shaq).

I like to look at the stars and numerical rankings to get an idea. In general, the higher the star, the better. There are exceptions.

I also look at who recruited the player, and who offered. We sometimes get in early on players, before they blossom so they may not have a nice offer list.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #42
Btown Bearcat

Btown Bearcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Interesting, Cronin doesn't always get the highest rated recruits but he seems to live off of the 4 star 100-150 guys these days. A lot of times they are underrated like Clark, Evans etc. Good to see hopefully he's got few more up his sleeve
Btown Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #43
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
I think Dixon was underrated. He could be frustrating but was also one of my favorites to watch. I don't know if he'd start over cumberland or evans though.
I think the only wing(s) who could start over Evans or Cumberland would be guys like SK or Lance in the Cronin era. I think the only bigs who would start over Clark or Washington would be maybe Gates.

PG is another story because we don't know what we have now but we have had Caupain, Cash, Vaughn.

We currently have 2 of the top 4 wings under Cronin IMO and probably two of the top 3 bigs. Again, PG we will have to wait and see but there is reason for optimism there as well.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #44
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Over the summer we knew the PG we got would have to realize that minutes will be tough in the first year. I feel like Johnson must be a mature kid to be able to see the big picture. Bc he will have one hell of an opportunity here. Just the idea that he's willing to go away from home to find the best place to hone his craft also shows maturity. I have a good feeling about this kid. He can be one heck of a playmaker.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #45
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Over the summer we knew the PG we got would have to realize that minutes will be tough in the first year. I feel like Johnson must be a mature kid to be able to see the big picture. Bc he will have one hell of an opportunity here. Just the idea that he's willing to go away from home to find the best place to hone his craft also shows maturity. I have a good feeling about this kid. He can be one heck of a playmaker.
Over the next two years we could lose every one of our starters should Cumberland prove to be good enough to leave early. Washington and Clark will be gone next year. Broome, Evans, and Jenifer the year after (if Evans is a 4 year guy). Maybe Cumberland could leave after two more years if he turns out to be the stud we are hoping for.

We will lose some "heavy hitters". We have a nice core group behind them with quality but not sure how many "heavy hitters" we will have from the current bunch of new recruits. I am mainly speaking of offense.

After two years we could be looking at a lineup of guys like

Brooks
Diarra
Williams
Moore
Johnson

I am not sure all of these guys will be at the level we are replacing although I am sure 1 or 2 of them could be. I feel like we have the core group being built for depth but we need to land a couple of top notch recruits to keep the arrow pointing upward. Some guys in that 30-100 range that may not be getting the attention they should.

The problem is it will be a hard sell for playing time outside of a quality scoring big for next year. We may be in somewhat of a "rebuild mode" after 2 years come to pass if we can't land some high quality scoring talent. I think we have all the defense and athleticism we will need though.

It may be too early to say this stuff...but it's just my general feel right now.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #46
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Over the next two years we could lose every one of our starters should Cumberland prove to be good enough to leave early. Washington and Clark will be gone next year. Broome, Evans, and Jenifer the year after (if Evans is a 4 year guy). Maybe Cumberland could leave after two more years if he turns out to be the stud we are hoping for.

We will lose some "heavy hitters". We have a nice core group behind them with quality but not sure how many "heavy hitters" we will have from the current bunch of new recruits. I am mainly speaking of offense.

Brooks
Diarra
Williams
Moore
Johnson

I am not sure all of these guys will be at the level we are replacing although I am sure 1 or 2 of them could be. I feel like we have the core group being built for depth but we need to land a couple of top notch recruits to keep the arrow pointing upward. Some guys in that 30-100 range that may not be getting the attention they should.

The problem is it will be a hard sell for playing time outside of a quality scoring big for next year. We may be in somewhat of a "rebuild mode" after 2 years come to pass if we can't land some high quality scoring talent. I think we have all the defense and athleticism we will need though.

It may be too early to say this stuff...but it's just my general feel right now.
A final four this year will go a long way towards helping fill that pipeline
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #47
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

Brooks
Diarra
Williams
Moore
Johnson

I really think Williams could turn into that "heavy hitter" you mention. Last year Cumberland was our "stud" freshman, the year before that it was Evans. I think the trend continues and Williams is our stud new guy. He'll find minutes behind Cumberland and Evans both, and I think he'll make the most of them.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #48
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
A final four this year will go a long way towards helping fill that pipeline
Continued success should help for sure!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:09 AM   #49
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat513 View Post
I really think Williams could turn into that "heavy hitter" you mention. Last year Cumberland was our "stud" freshman, the year before that it was Evans. I think the trend continues and Williams is our stud new guy. He'll find minutes behind Cumberland and Evans both, and I think he'll make the most of them.
Right...so if he is one of those guys...we will still need 2-3 others to fill the scoring void being left. Washington and Clark can score from inside and they can make a 3 if needed. Brooks won't likely be the scorer Washington is on the inside and also likely not be shooting 3's. Will his D and rebounding make up for the difference? Diarra doesn't seem to have much of a back to the basket game but has a nice outside stroke. Gary can score buckets inside and at least make 3's at a reasonable rate for a big. Defensively and rebounding Clark is going to be tough to top but Diarra is very athletic so maybe not a big deal. They can both get out in transition and/or slash the lane. In terms of versatility we lose some scoring on the inside from both Brooks and Diarra vs Washington and Clark and we lose the ability of Washington stretching the floor for a 3. Offensively I am not sure where to say we gain with the new bigs.

Will T. Moore be a good replacement for Evans or Cumberland? Too early to tell. Logan could very well be a solid PG in the line of a Cash or Caupain but who knows. It's early I know...but I am concerned if we don't land more obvious offensive fire power.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #50
Grgbartell@yahoo.com

Grgbartell@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
recruiting

I'm a bit surprised at the class coming in this year, especially considering we have Clark and Washington leaving. Currently on the roster behind them, we have no one with any developed offensive skills. Is it the conference or can Mick just not land top tier talent? I really do like Keith Williams but after that I'm a bit disappointed in the players who I think will be projects. I know he knows much more than I do so I'll have to trust that these kids will show up and show out.
Grgbartell@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote