Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 08-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #41
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
It's going to be a tougher year to win for us because of the schedule strength and playing off campus. We may not really have a comfortable home to play in so we should be both battle tested and neutral/road game tested when it counts. I say neutral just because it's not our preferred arena we will be playing in. I hope to see a lot more attacking play this year. Less threes and more driving the lane and producing fouls. We settled for 3's too much last year. Our road scoring was not good. We need to look for, and be aggressive for, higher % shots. We also need to run and press more to create easier buckets. We have a great starting 5 and a deep bench so we should take full advantage of that.
We were 7th in conference last year in 2 pt FGA and FTA. We were 2nd in 3 pt FGA. When you have Gary Clark and Kyle Washington down low and 2 starting guards below 33% in 3 pt shooting...you aren't doing something right. I am pretty sure adding Cumberland and Broome will help us with this. Both from a driving standpoint, and at least from Cumberland, an entry pass standpoint.

We had a great season last year and just maybe it could have been better had we not settled for as many 3's.

Last edited by waterhead; 08-16-2017 at 01:08 PM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #42
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
It's going to be a tougher year to win for us because of the schedule strength and playing off campus. We may not really have a comfortable home to play in so we should be both battle tested and neutral/road game tested when it counts. I say neutral just because it's not our preferred arena we will be playing in. I hope to see a lot more attacking play this year. Less threes and more driving the lane and producing fouls. We settled for 3's too much last year. Our road scoring was not good. We need to look for, and be aggressive for, higher % shots. We also need to run and press more to create easier buckets. We have a great starting 5 and a deep bench so we should take full advantage of that.
I personally don't think we shot too many 3s last year. With Caupain at PG, we were going against a set defense all the time. Hard to have guys driving the lane when the other team is set and only has to extend out to 20 feet. Plus, a 20'9" shot is just a flick of the wrist for these guys. If you want efficient offense in modern basketball, you MUST shoot the 3 and have the majority of your team doing it. It sounds good on paper to talk about attacking, drawing fouls, etc but in reality it isn't that easy. If it was, Shaq Thomas would've been an All-American. Playing inside-out with guys like Clark and Washington is the way to go for this year's team imo. Feeding the post and banging 3s is going to be key. Getting Broome on the move and driving will be nice but that will have to happen more with screens to give him more space and try to create a mismatch. It wouldn't benefit us very much imo if he tries to be the Sacred Heart version of Broome who doesn't use his teammates.

I agree about the pressing and creating easy buckets that way. And maybe with bigs who can shoot, we'll have more space in the lane for guys like Broome, Cumberland, and Williams to operate. But running the offense that way seems like a bogged down, inefficient way to use our talent this year. We have tons of depth, guys who can hit 3s, and guys who can score in the post. Those seem like more efficient ways to score to me, compared to taking guys off the dribble and getting in the lane. Obviously that needs to happen some, but I know Coach Cronin has put an emphasis on passing a lot in the last couple years. I don't feel like you'd be using Evans and Clark the right way if you didn't utilize their passing abilities and ability to stretch the floor in the halfcourt.

I guess basically, I'd like to see guys creating shots for each other with crisp ball movement and mismatches off of screens. The 1 on 1 type stuff shouldn't be a main offensive philosophy. It should be situational...bc we do have guys who can get a bucket in iso situations. But with so many mouths to feed on this year's team, I'd hope that we stress playing with all 5 guys on offense. And in the halfcourt, with our personnel, that will mean shooting a good amount 3s.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #43
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

This may have nothing to do with anything, but just as a reference. Last 4 seasons (since joining AAC):

2016-17
21.2 3FGA/G
34.6% 3FG
#34 KenPom AdjO

2015-16
22.0 3FGA/G
34.8% 3FG
#69 KenPom AdjO

2014-15
14.9 3FG/G
32.9% 3FG
#96 KenPom AdjO

2013-14
17.2 3FGA/G
33.5% 3FG
#98 KenPom AdjO

Seems like recently, shooting a few more 3s per game has correlated with our AdjO moving up by quite a big margin. May be coincidence, I didn't dig that deeply into this.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #44
jds513

jds513 is on a distinguished road
3 point shooting is the name of the game anymore. Shoot lots of them and do it at a good perecentage and you will win a lot of games. Nowadays, I think 3 point shooting is the most important part of basketball.
jds513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #45
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
This may have nothing to do with anything, but just as a reference. Last 4 seasons (since joining AAC):

2016-17
21.2 3FGA/G
34.6% 3FG
#34 KenPom AdjO

2015-16
22.0 3FGA/G
34.8% 3FG
#69 KenPom AdjO

2014-15
14.9 3FG/G
32.9% 3FG
#96 KenPom AdjO

2013-14
17.2 3FGA/G
33.5% 3FG
#98 KenPom AdjO

Seems like recently, shooting a few more 3s per game has correlated with our AdjO moving up by quite a big margin. May be coincidence, I didn't dig that deeply into this.
I think having Clark and Washington with the ability to make 3's is a nice addition to our versatility for sure.

Our bigs attempted 2.6 per game last year, .8 the year before and .1 the 2 years before that. Our 3% was .346, .348, .329, and .335 respectively. We shot more and made more the last two years. All of those team percentages are above the career results from TC and KJ.

Our 2pt % was .521, .477, .496, and .466 during those same years. So we also made more of those. Cumberland lead the team (as a %) and all of these team results are above the career averages of TC and KJ.

Either way, I love the three ball, but I think we can do better as a team getting into the lane for easier buckets and fouls. We have guys who can do it better now. I THINK.

Last edited by waterhead; 08-16-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #46
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
I just wish we could get someone Durden-Burton or Logan. They all averaged close to 40% their last @ years not low 30's like Troy and Kevin did. I remember being at games and Durden,s misses were always close or rim-outs not total bricks like last year.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #47
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerOH View Post
I just wish we could get someone Durden-Burton or Logan. They all averaged close to 40% their last @ years not low 30's like Troy and Kevin did. I remember being at games and Durden,s misses were always close or rim-outs not total bricks like last year.
Trevor Moore is supposed to be that kind of shooter if I recall his recruitment correctly.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #48
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Trevor Moore is supposed to be that kind of shooter if I recall his recruitment correctly.
Yep. And not only that, but Chad has commented on his all-around game being ahead of where everyone though it'd be at this point. I was prepared for him to be nothing but a 3 point gunner. I still hope that's what he is primarily...and it'll be his path to minutes early in his career. But there's a chance he could develop into more than that. I believe it was also Chad who was saying his defense and lateral movement were very good for this stage of the game. It was also mentioned that he had offers to play safety in the Big XII so I can see how that could be the case.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #49
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Yep. And not only that, but Chad has commented on his all-around game being ahead of where everyone though it'd be at this point. I was prepared for him to be nothing but a 3 point gunner. I still hope that's what he is primarily...and it'll be his path to minutes early in his career. But there's a chance he could develop into more than that. I believe it was also Chad who was saying his defense and lateral movement were very good for this stage of the game. It was also mentioned that he had offers to play safety in the Big XII so I can see how that could be the case.
I saw a recent video of him and it looks like the kid is pretty dang athletic and bouncy. I think he's about 6'5" which is going to be helpful in getting his shot off.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #50
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerOH View Post
Evans shot .418 from deep last year. In the archives on GoBearcats which hasn't been updated for years (maybe 10 or so)...that would tie him for 5th with Durden for a single season average. He was only a soph but I wouldn't expect that number to keep rising. I'm not sure Cronin has had anyone but Evans reach that number with any volume. His current average of .38 would put him in 4th place career average from 3 right behind Durden at .385.

Cumberland is off to a decent start for a frosh. I expect his % to climb. Moore is another good addition.