Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-31-2017, 08:00 PM   #171
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I feel like Jenifer has embraced the pure PG role. He desperately wants to get everyone involved and Cronin and Washington have both talked about passing and the importance of ball movement. Seeing the 84-77 number doesn't shock me at this point.
Couldn't help but laugh when u said Washington and pass in the same sentence. 😁
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:08 AM   #172
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I'm not sure I follow about 20 points on 21 shots is not what anyone is looking for?

As long as it doesn't come with 6 turnovers I will take that ratio from a frosh. He shot 33 percent from 3 and 43 percent from the floor. Better numbers than 2 of our starters last year.

If you are saying we don't need him taking 21 shots I agree...but I have seen much much much worse shooting nights than 9 of 21 and 2 of 6 from deep.
For purposes of comparison:
Last year - Cumberland 201 shots resulted in 231 points
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:55 AM   #173
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
We have seen similar or lower career numbers from many starting wings/guards over the years. KJ, Dixon, Caupain, Sanders, Thomas, Guyn, etc. If we can get slightly better numbers off the bench from a frosh...than many or most of our starting wings over the years... I will take it.

Referring to Williams numbers in scrimmage

Last edited by waterhead; 11-01-2017 at 07:00 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #174
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
those 201 shots came with 292 points, thats a huge difference.

the game isn't about the number of points its about being efficient as a player. 20 points on 21 shots with 6 turnovers and 0 assists is not a very good game at all.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #175
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Like I've said before stats from a game like that don't really mean anything to me but just in a general sense more shots taken than points scored is really bad. Even KJ in all his seasons here always managed to have more points than shots attempted and he was a 37% career shooter from the floor.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #176
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
those 201 shots came with 292 points, thats a huge difference.

the game isn't about the number of points its about being efficient as a player. 20 points on 21 shots with 6 turnovers and 0 assists is not a very good game at all.
Yeah this shouldn't even be a conversation.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #177
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Yeah this shouldn't even be a conversation.
Yeah I think people took what I said towards Williams when I just meant in a general sense. The game is all about being efficient, taking good, high percentage shots as often as possible.

Our efficiency as a team is why the computers love us coming into this year. From espn

"Part of BPI's calculation considers the minute-weighted efficiency of the returning players. And it turns out that Cincinnati has the enviable combination of a high percentage of returning minutes and sneaky efficiency from those returning players. The Bearcats' returning players' offensive rating, adjusted for opponents and minute-weighted, ranked 13th best in the nation and their defense was 17th-best. That kind of production, from players like F Gary Clark and G/F Jacob Evans, on both ends of the court is a good sign for the Bearcats' 2017-2018 prospects."
Old 11-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #178
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Like I've said before stats from a game like that don't really mean anything to me but just in a general sense more shots taken than points scored is really bad. Even KJ in all his seasons here always managed to have more points than shots attempted and he was a 37% career shooter from the floor.
I was trying hard to figure this one out. Normally if you take that many shots especially 15 two pointers you are going to pick up some extra points from FT's. Somehow Williams didn't attempt any FT's. If he goes to the line 2 or 3 times there is your difference.

As I mentioned his FG% wasn't horrible 43% and 33% from 3 is also not horrible. I was trying to figure out how KJ could shoot a career average of 37% from the field and 32% from 3 (both lower %'s) and somehow score more points than shots. Add in the FT's and there you have it. My bad.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote