Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Who takes the last shot?
Broome 3 11.11%
Washington 2 7.41%
Clark 2 7.41%
Evans 11 40.74%
Cumberland 5 18.52%
Team effort 4 14.81%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #61
skylinecat

skylinecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Evans was third on the team in FTA last season, two behind 2nd place and 7 behind Clark who was 1st. So he is getting fouled in the act, no way he gets 112 FT's on jump shots and not driving. He shot 56 FT's his Frosh year, exactly half from his Soph campaign.
LOL. Thank you! I don't know where this idea came from that Evans never tries to drive. He is a better shooter than driver and knows it, but its not like he just parks it on the perimeter and takes 3's. Y'all are acting like he is JJ Reddick or something. I think he deferred to Troy last year, but he also hit some massive shots on his own and has done so throughout his career. I forget which game it was, but I distinctly remember him getting a steal at half court for the tying bucket.
skylinecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #62
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I've said this before, but Evans getting to the rim should come without the ball in the halfcourt, by getting offensive rebounds, and by getting out in transition. The everyone stand there while he tries to create off the dribble in the halfcourt thing hasn't led to any kind of efficient offense. Plus he's a great shooter. I don't get how him getting to the rim has become the thing that everyone automatically says.

So I definitely agree with you on the transition part. He's great at that. He can improve some things he's not great at, but it'd also be stupid not to play to his strengths. And when people act like we desperately need him to beat guys off the dribble left and right in the halfcourt, I get confused. That's not who he is now, and it won't be who he is as a pro.
Agreed...Evans should play his game. Forcing him to play another game probably won't work out. With the ball in his hands his instinctive ability to create space, keep defenders on their heels, and using contact to his benefit are not as strong as a guy like Cumberland. He does other things very well and he should probably stick to that because "instinct" is not something easily taught if it's even possible at all.

He just needs to use his superior athleticism and accurate shooting to be productive and he has done an excellent job of that on both ends.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #63
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I've said this before, but Evans getting to the rim should come without the ball in the halfcourt, by getting offensive rebounds, and by getting out in transition. The everyone stand there while he tries to create off the dribble in the halfcourt thing hasn't led to any kind of efficient offense. Plus he's a great shooter. I don't get how him getting to the rim has become the thing that everyone automatically says.

So I definitely agree with you on the transition part. He's great at that. He can improve some things he's not great at, but it'd also be stupid not to play to his strengths. And when people act like we desperately need him to beat guys off the dribble left and right in the halfcourt, I get confused. That's not who he is now, and it won't be who he is as a pro.
agree Jake. I think the title of the thread leads people in that direction. With the clock running down who do you want to have with the ball. I'm all for playing a team concept with many options.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:24 PM   #64
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Evans was third on the team in FTA last season, two behind 2nd place and 7 behind Clark who was 1st. So he is getting fouled in the act, no way he gets 112 FT's on jump shots and not driving. He shot 56 FT's his Frosh year, exactly half from his Soph campaign.
thanks Patrick the numbers do indicate he is trending in right direction.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #65
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Guys the thread is about who takes the last shot. I'm good with Jacob taking that shot but not creating for himself but off a dish and kick out or cutting to the rim. I don't think he is our best option to run a clear out for. Probably could have said that a bunch of post ago. Lol!!
Old 08-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #66
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
I think there will be five guys who could take the last shot..😉
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:13 PM   #67
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Taking the last second shot often requires that you can get a decent shot off with some reliability and efficiency or create a shot for someone else. Why would you put the ball in the hands of someone who wasn't reliable enough at getting that done?

Washington and Clark are both reliant on someone getting them the ball in the right spot for example. Evans may be better suited as a secondary option if he can't reliably create his own option.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote