Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
justinhub2003
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,864
justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
UC preview with Chad Brendel Podcast

I listen to a podcast called Screen the Screen thats pretty good and they are doing team previews with local writers from each team and I requested he hook up Chad on it and they made it happen.

Turned out to be a really good Podcast!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/sthespodcast

justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,778
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I listen to a podcast called Screen the Screen thats pretty good and they are doing team previews with local writers from each team and I requested he hook up Chad on it and they made it happen.

Turned out to be a really good Podcast!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/sthespodcast
Let me just say that was a fantastic job from Chad! Easily one of the most knowledgeable and authoritative pieces I have listened to in quite some time about our team and players. Chad is able to say things that the coach cannot/will not and he knows more than most other sports analysts do about our team and players.

Kudos to Chad...I enjoyed it very much! I can't say I disagreed with him on one thing in almost 30 minutes and I picked up some useful information that I may not have been aware of. Spot on!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,778
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Let me just say that was a fantastic job from Chad! Easily one of the most knowledgeable and authoritative pieces I have listened to in quite some time about our team and players. Chad is able to say things that the coach cannot/will not and he knows more than most other sports analysts do about our team and players.

Kudos to Chad...I enjoyed it very much! I can't say I disagreed with him on one thing in almost 30 minutes and I picked up some useful information that I may not have been aware of. Spot on!
Two things that kind of stood out for me. Chad's confidence in Cumberland as a potential leading scorer as well as Diarra's insane vertical reach of 12'3" plus.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
Chad Brendel
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 774
Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Let me just say that was a fantastic job from Chad! Easily one of the most knowledgeable and authoritative pieces I have listened to in quite some time about our team and players. Chad is able to say things that the coach cannot/will not and he knows more than most other sports analysts do about our team and players.

Kudos to Chad...I enjoyed it very much! I can't say I disagreed with him on one thing in almost 30 minutes and I picked up some useful information that I may not have been aware of. Spot on!
Thank you...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,778
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
Thank you...
No problem...well deserved.

I hope you are right on Cumberland. I have the same gut feel about him. Evans and Clark have their work cut out for them to get top points if they are not going to be more assertive. I think we can safely assume Gary will not be top point guy. Pretty sure Washington, Cumberland and Broome will not be AS shy about shooting the ball or creating shots for themselves. I am not even sure that has to mean they are "hogging the ball"...just more aggressive with their touches. We will see with Evans. He can score 13 ppg just by choosing his spots...but if he can make a small transformation in aggressiveness he can retain the title.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
indydoug
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 214
indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
No problem...well deserved.

I hope you are right on Cumberland. I have the same gut feel about him. Evans and Clark have their work cut out for them to get top points if they are not going to be more assertive. I think we can safely assume Gary will not be top point guy. Pretty sure Washington, Cumberland and Broome will not be AS shy about shooting the ball or creating shots for themselves. I am not even sure that has to mean they are "hogging the ball"...just more aggressive with their touches. We will see with Evans. He can score 13 ppg just by choosing his spots...but if he can make a small transformation in aggressiveness he can retain the title.
What I like about this team is UC has all 5 starters who are capable on any given night of dropping 20+ points. Cronin has not had that ever.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #7
ThomasMac
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 28
ThomasMac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
What I like about this team is UC has all 5 starters who are capable on any given night of dropping 20+ points. Cronin has not had that ever.
Good point... someone on Twitter posted something similar (sorry I don't have the source).

Career highs for Cincy's potential starting 5:

Clark: 26
Cumberland:26
Evans: 26
Washington: 27
Broome: 39
ThomasMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,778
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
What I like about this team is UC has all 5 starters who are capable on any given night of dropping 20+ points. Cronin has not had that ever.
Yah...the subs really just have to come in hustle and do the little things right and take their green light open looks when they get them. If we can get the starters being aggressive offensively and the subs not making mistakes we will be in great position.

The subs (for this year) should be focused on being in the right place, defending, taking care of the ball, rebounding, setting picks, etc. If you have a green light special go ahead and take the shot. The subs won't have to be offensive heros which should make their job a little easier to manage. Their day will come when they are asked to do a little more offensively. This is the year to learn how the system works and what makes it fall apart. Scoring for them should be one of the last things on their mind and Cronin usually does a good job of conveying that through playing time.

I am not sure there has ever been a year under Cronin where the job of the subs (and their roles) could be outlined so easily. In the past we have needed subs to come in and be a spark off the bench because we didn't have the fire power in the starting lienup. This year they really just have to focus on their roles and playing smart and hard. Scoring is just a bonus.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #9
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,778
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
What I like about this team is UC has all 5 starters who are capable on any given night of dropping 20+ points. Cronin has not had that ever.
I fully expect to have 5 guys in double figures and potentially 5 guys averaging over 11 ppg. It is conceivable we could even have 5 guys over 12 ppg without using too much imagination. Gary was at 10.8 last year. If we increase pace he could get to 12 ppg with a little more aggressiveness with his touches. Broome can get there...but it's hard to tell at this point how Cronin is going to use him.

I don't see much problem with Washington, Evans, and Cumberland getting to 12 ppg.

Last edited by waterhead; 10-12-2017 at 08:48 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #10
indydoug
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 214
indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I fully expect to have 5 guys in double figures and potentially 5 guys averaging over 11 ppg. It is conceivable we could even have 5 guys over 12 ppg without using too much imagination. Gary was at 10.8 last year. If we increase pace he could get to 12 ppg with a little more aggressiveness with his touches. Broome can get there...but it's hard to tell at this point how Cronin is going to use him.

I don't see much problem with Washington, Evans, and Cumberland getting to 12 ppg.
I agree about 5 in double digits but I'm not sure Clark gets to 12ppg. I think Broome has a shot of leading the team in scoring, as do the other 3 !
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.