Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
nparker1
Elite Member

nparker1 is on a distinguished road
Pitino comments on NCAA Bball / Recruiting

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=11672004&i=TWT&w=1ehma via @espncbb

Saw this story on ESPN.com and feel that is obviously related to UC and their recruiting obstacles...I have been complaining about the shoe companies for awhile and I hope something comes of this...
nparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Pitino is only complaining because it cost him a recruit recently. If the shoe companies were favoring him, he would be singing a different tune.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
nparker1
Elite Member

Agreed but I do think it is not right for shoe companies to basically be soliciting recruits to certain schools...I am sure Mick, along with every other coach, has to take the show company into consideration when looking at potential recruits...I know and understand that this is just how it is, but I don't think it is right
Old 10-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by nparker1 View Post
Agreed but I do think it is not right for shoe companies to basically be soliciting recruits to certain schools...I am sure Mick, along with every other coach, has to take the show company into consideration when looking at potential recruits...I know and understand that this is just how it is, but I don't think it is right
I agree with you. I just find it funny that Pitino is the one bitching about it. He's beyond hypocritical.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
nparker1
Elite Member

Very hypocritical...I was surprised when I agreed with something he said
Old 10-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
BearcatsHoops

BearcatsHoops is on a distinguished road
I don't think it has anything to do with Pitino, or any other coach, complaining because they have lost a recruit. For every recruit a school like Louisville loses to Nike, they gain one from Adidas. UC has seen this first hand. Obekpa was Nike, and where did he go? Lawrence was Adidas, and where did he go? Now that certainly can be a coincidence, but I think the Nike vs Adidas is a real thing in determining where a high school athlete commits.

The point Pitino is making is that money is continually playing a major factor is the decision of these kids. Because Adidas is lining the pockets of School X, and Nike is doing the same for School Y, it's in the best interest of the companies to direct the higher profile recruits to their sponsored schools. Highly unfair to who? The kids yet again! The amount of pressure is ridiculous. That's not to say a Nike kid can't attend an Adidas school, but the the pressure is certainly there. Didn't that just happen last month to a high profile recruit? Forget who it was, but he backed out of his verbal and re-opened his recruitment. Signs pointed heavily to Nike being involved.

This all goes back to everyone making money off the kids and "student-athletes," yet the kids are punished when they sell an autograph for max of $25. $25 compared to the multi-million dollar deals flying around every college campus is just laughable.

Money greatly influences every aspect of college athletics including the recruitment, and if you don't believe that, then you are just way too naive.
BearcatsHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
JasonS
Football Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsHoops View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with Pitino, or any other coach, complaining because they have lost a recruit. For every recruit a school like Louisville loses to Nike, they gain one from Adidas. UC has seen this first hand. Obekpa was Nike, and where did he go? Lawrence was Adidas, and where did he go? Now that certainly can be a coincidence, but I think the Nike vs Adidas is a real thing in determining where a high school athlete commits.

The point Pitino is making is that money is continually playing a major factor is the decision of these kids. Because Adidas is lining the pockets of School X, and Nike is doing the same for School Y, it's in the best interest of the companies to direct the higher profile recruits to their sponsored schools. Highly unfair to who? The kids yet again! The amount of pressure is ridiculous. That's not to say a Nike kid can't attend an Adidas school, but the the pressure is certainly there. Didn't that just happen last month to a high profile recruit? Forget who it was, but he backed out of his verbal and re-opened his recruitment. Signs pointed heavily to Nike being involved.

This all goes back to everyone making money off the kids and "student-athletes," yet the kids are punished when they sell an autograph for max of $25. $25 compared to the multi-million dollar deals flying around every college campus is just laughable.

Money greatly influences every aspect of college athletics including the recruitment, and if you don't believe that, then you are just way too naive.
Are you arguing with yourself? No one has said that money doesn't influence recruiting and that the shoe companies are at the forefront. My point is simple. Slick Rick is hypocritical and should be the last one to publicly start complaining about something like this.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
BearcatsHoops

BearcatsHoops is on a distinguished road
No, I'm not really arguing with anyone. Read some the comments below the article, and then got a general impression people were turning this into Pitino complaining about his own recruitment (comments on the article were quick to say he's can't beat Coach Cal). I agree 100% with Pitino. Just felt like posting my thoughts. Probably could have left the last sentence out as I wasn't directing that to anyone specifically. More as a summary of a collective "you." I talked to a few people that were quick to bash Guerly, but couldn't see how there is a much bigger issue of money in collegiate sports.

Last edited by BearcatsHoops; 10-15-2014 at 10:42 AM.
BearcatsHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
JasonS
Football Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsHoops View Post
No, I'm not really arguing with anyone. Read some the comments below the article, and then got a general impression people were turning this into Pitino complaining about his own recruitment (comments on the article were quick to say he's can't beat Coach Cal). I agree 100% with Pitino. Just felt like posting my thoughts. Probably could have left the last sentence out as I wasn't directing that to anyone specifically. More as a summary of a collective "you." I talked to a few people that were quick to bash Guerly, but couldn't see how there is a much bigger issue of money in collegiate sports.
Got ya. I was a little confused and re-read the thread to make sure I didn't miss something.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
I agree with you. I just find it funny that Pitino is the one bitching about it. He's beyond hypocritical.
How so?
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote