Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #1051
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat22 View Post
I'm equal parts excited and skeptical about references to a new offense. That is not meant to question Chad's insight and what he's seen thus far. It's more that we hear about improved offense every year. I'm hopeful that the depth (though inexperienced), talent level, and true low post players that can play down low or extend the defense, plus the development of KJ and Caupain will lead to the balance and flow that we've been craving.
I agree - every year we hear about new things on offense and how they are going to run (which we haven't heard yet, so I'm expecting that article shortly). In the end it usually amounts to the same stagnant offense. I sincerely hope the offense is better this year but I'm not holding out hope. They have the legs to play at a much faster tempo so hopefully if their offense struggles they try to create easy points in transition.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #1052
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Michael Rehfeldt ‏@RehfeldtU 13m13 minutes ago

UC freshman Gary Clark draws early rave reviews http://cin.ci/1tFLWx7 Ps. He is 233lbs now

Puttin on some LBS since arriving on campus
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #1053
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
I agree - every year we hear about new things on offense and how they are going to run (which we haven't heard yet, so I'm expecting that article shortly). In the end it usually amounts to the same stagnant offense. I sincerely hope the offense is better this year but I'm not holding out hope. They have the legs to play at a much faster tempo so hopefully if their offense struggles they try to create easy points in transition.
Obviously I'm not at liberty to discuss specifics, but it looks much different than the stuff they've ran over the past 4 years. Much more of a college style as opposed to the NBA influenced sets used to showcase SK...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #1054
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
Obviously I'm not at liberty to discuss specifics, but it looks much different than the stuff they've ran over the past 4 years. Much more of a college style as opposed to the NBA influenced sets used to showcase SK...
I think the interesting thing about all of this is that people will complain about anything. Mick has shown the ability during his time here to adapt his offensive style to fit the team he has. Since Mick has been here we have never had a team with the size and skill out of the 4 and 5 spots that this team has. They are young so I doubt the offense will look great at the start but I am happy to hear that the coaching staff is working to incorporate things into the offense that will take advantage of these players.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #1055
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Would anyone like to try to predict any stats for this upcoming year? I got...
Caupain over 7 Rebounds + Assists per game
KJ over 13 PPG
Morman over 15 MPG
Sanders over 50 3PT FGM and over 40% 3PTs
Clark over 6 RPG
Ellis over 10 Rebounds + Blocks per game
Shaq under 4 RPG
Guyn under 20 MPG
DeBerry under 10 MPG

Thoughts?

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 10-22-2014 at 04:26 PM.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #1056
Bearcat04
Elite Member

Bearcat04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
12 ppg really isnt that much
Especially considering Johnson should make multiple 3's per game and you get a lot of free points closing out games from the line.
Bearcat04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #1057
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat04 View Post
Especially considering Johnson should make multiple 3's per game and you get a lot of free points closing out games from the line.
He said average 12 ppg not score 12 or more a couple times.
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #1058
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Would anyone like to try to predict any stats for this upcoming year? I got...
Caupain over 7 Rebounds + Assists per game I see 3 reb, 4 ast, so that's about right
KJ over 13 PPG More likely under or right at 13
Morman over 15 MPG Agree, but not by much
Sanders over 50 3PT FGM and over 40% 3PTs I don't see any way that he plays more minutes than last season. I'm going to go with similar numbers to last year, around 35 made and 37%
Clark over 6 RPG I think Clark will put up similar points and rebounds to JJ last year, but not as many blocks... so definitely agree.
Ellis over 10 Rebounds + Blocks per game I look for Ellis to put up about 10/7/2 in 25-ish minutes. Over 10 rebounds+blocks is a little optimistic IMO.
Shaq under 4 RPG I'd like to think he'll improve enough to approach 4 RPG, but could be tough with Clark and Ellis crashing the boards.
Guyn under 20 MPG Agree, but he will be close.
DeBerry under 10 MPG Disagree, but he won't play more than 15.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #1059
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
When anyone refers to a "New" offense, it implies that we actually had a previous offense. That certainly is not the case. Any use of the term "offense" is exciting in itself. To just be able to have a discussion about a potential offense is wonderful. But, I caution everyone to not fall into the usual trap we all fall into every year as Mick promises a pressing, run, and gun team. By midseason, the press is nowhere to be seen and we're walking the ball up the court and going into that annoying weave. I'll have to see some real offense before I believe it.

Granted, we have vastly different pieces to this puzzle this year. The roster has a very different feel to it than most of the ones Mick has been running out there in the past. A lot of his past players took 3-4 years to make an impact. Last year we actually had some impact freshmen. This year's newcomers have arrived with a feeling of more potential than what we've seen in the past. I'm hopeful that Mick is capable of actually coaching these guys up offensively in the same way that he does so magnificantly with his approach to defense.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #1060
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
I definitely believe you, but my concern isn't whether it's different, it's whether it's effective. Mick has changed the offense numerous times to try to match personnel but I think very few can say that they worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
I think the interesting thing about all of this is that people will complain about anything. Mick has shown the ability during his time here to adapt his offensive style to fit the team he has. Since Mick has been here we have never had a team with the size and skill out of the 4 and 5 spots that this team has. They are young so I doubt the offense will look great at the start but I am happy to hear that the coaching staff is working to incorporate things into the offense that will take advantage of these players.
Seriously? I think the offensive struggles under Mick is a pretty legitimate concern. Mick has shown he can change his offense, but implies that it's been effective, which is pretty hard to argue that his offense has been effective.

I think it's a bit mature to say that this team has the size and skill that no other team before under Mick has had. Yancy was pretty damn big and pretty damn skillful for a big and the offense wasn't great with him either. Then when he left everyone said it would open up the lanes, but guess what, the offense wasn't great after that either. I'm hopefully on the young guys but they are unproven, just as Jermaine Lawrence was unproven. Personally I think the 4 and 5 spots are going to be their biggest weakness this year so I don't see how it's going to help the offense.

My point isn't to knock Mick. I love him, but I don't love the way his offense has performed and think it's a legitimate concern for this year as well considering one of UC's best scorers in history is gone.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote