Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 8+ 7 25.93%
UC wins by 4-7 11 40.74%
UC wins by 1-3 4 14.81%
UCF wins 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #1
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
@UCF

Game is Tuesday at 7 on CBS Sports...
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
Defense first

Defense first is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Game is Tuesday at 7 on CBS Sports...
Let's make there big guys guard the three and run taco to death. They have some meaty players, this is the game cane goes for big numbers. I don't think they have anyone who can stay in front of him. Have Kyle pull taco out on perimeter and do work. Gary one on one rebounding in post is unfair to say the least. Let's put another top 75 road win on our resume. Go bearcats. prediction 67 to 55
Defense first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:24 AM   #3
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
UCF is very similar, statistically, to Mississippi State. Both have top-20 defenses on Kenpom (UCF #4, MSU #19). They are also the two worst offenses, and the two worst teams, amongst the top-20 defensive squads (UCF #277 offense, #74 overall; MSU #183 offense, #81 overall).

Both teams have a great shot blocker in the middle, around a +5 rebounding margin, a negative Ast/TO ratio, and struggle from beyond the arc (UCF 30.4%, MSU 29.7%). They both get to the line a lot but struggle to convert there (UCF 64.1%, MSU 65.8%). Both are tough to hit shots against (UCF 37.7%; MSU 38.9%)

MSU plays a bit faster and is less careless with the ball; UCF is better overall defensively. Still, they are probably as similar as two opponents are likely to be.

The good news is we handled MSU pretty decisively, and I think the team is playing much better now. The bad news is we struggled to score against them, save for Evans & Washington, who carried the team offensively.

UCF might struggle to reach 50 on Tuesday. As long as 2 or 3 guys are hitting their shots I think UC can pull away - it is just a question of figuring out who has the hot hand and getting them their shots.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #4
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
BJ Taylor scorched us for 27 in Orlando last season and it looks like he'll still be out with a foot injury when we come into town. UCF is a little bit deeper in the backcourt this season but has no scorers as prolific as Taylor or Williams were last season.

UCF was only up by 5 on Memphis at home with 4 minutes to go in their game before winning by 9.

I think the gap between our two squads has widened a bit this year and I trust Cronin to help us overcome the same problems that plagued us last year with their size.

Bearcats 62
Knights 55
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

This game is the whole reason for this road trip. And we have ECU at home after, so let's put it all into this one. They simply do not have the talent or skill to keep up with us. We have to apply pressure on their defense non stop.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
i bet the total for this game comes out short of 120.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Jake I really hope we see about the same breakdown of minutes between JJ and Cane. That will mean we probably played pretty well against them and JJ and the wings played well.
For this game I think we need to do everything we can to speed things up. If we are going to press, I hope it's to get steals and cause havoc rather than forcing them to take longer. They'll do that on their own. We must get down the floor quickly after defensive rebounds. Even if we dedicate ourselves to pushing things, it'll still be pretty low possessions. We can't fall into that trap and just accept the slowest game on earth. We are too high level for that. We want to squeeze every last possession out of this game. This is the wrong game to walk it up the court. If Jenifer is in, he needs to zoom down the floor in the traffic rather than waiting for things to clear. Broome is very good at that.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #8
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
For this game I think we need to do everything we can to speed things up. If we are going to press, I hope it's to get steals and cause havoc rather than forcing them to take longer. They'll do that on their own. We must get down the floor quickly after defensive rebounds. Even if we dedicate ourselves to pushing things, it'll still be pretty low possessions. We can't fall into that trap and just accept the slowest game on earth. We are too high level for that. We want to squeeze every last possession out of this game. This is the wrong game to walk it up the court. If Jenifer is in, he needs to zoom down the floor in the traffic rather than waiting for things to clear. Broome is very good at that.
As part of the game plan I think you'll see JJ run the ball up the floor. Lot will depend on how we hit the glass. Either way I think like last game you'll see us trying to force pace and get in our offense quickly. If we are able to set up our press often it usually means we have hit a high percentage of our shots.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
If we do end up in a half court game I hope we aren't just settling for jump shots. Need to challenge the big guy and see if we can get some fouls on him. If we can't get him in foul trouble It Would also help if Washington has his jumper working. But in the end we need to run run run
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
My prediction: Jarron & Jacob each hit a couple early 3’s.
UCF scores under 30 in first half - Cats win by 12
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote