Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 15+ 10 30.30%
UC wins by 10-14 13 39.39%
UC wins by 1-9 8 24.24%
Temple wins 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2018, 11:45 AM   #101
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Agreed. I think we were a little flat in that last game (ECU) so I expect intensity to pick up as well.
Yea mick was not happy with how the first half went against ECU. We didn’t score the ball or guard very well.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #102
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Jenifer was really bothered by Temple's length in the first game. I believe he had two simple point to wing passes stolen by his defender. Having Cane back should help, but I'd also like to see us start our offense out higher, with ball screens 25 feet out. That can create more space for dribble penetration, though it also puts pressure on the ballhandler and can cause turnovers if poor decisions are made. We used high ball screens a lot for SK in his senior year, and for Troy in late clock situations last year. I think they could really work for us in this game, especially with Kyle as the screener due to his pick and pop ability.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #103
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Jenifer was really bothered by Temple's length in the first game. I believe he had two simple point to wing passes stolen by his defender. Having Cane back should help, but I'd also like to see us start our offense out higher, with ball screens 25 feet out. That can create more space for dribble penetration, though it also puts pressure on the ballhandler and can cause turnovers if poor decisions are made. We used high ball screens a lot for SK in his senior year, and for Troy in late clock situations last year. I think they could really work for us in this game, especially with Kyle as the screener due to his pick and pop ability.
This is purely speculation based on my own eyes, but it just seems opponents get better looks/make more 3's against Jenifer than on Broome. Even ECU, 2/3 by 55 came against Jenifer, like they know he isn't a close out or defensive threat. Could just be how things look on the floor and rotation wise, but half court defense, it feels we make bigger stops with Broome on the floor.

To me tonight comes down to defense, Temple had Enechionyia start hot at their place with some open shots - quickly get us in a hole. Just clamp down on defense, don't let Alston pop in 3's, and we should just grind them into a 10-15 point halftime deficit.

In three conference home games, we've shot 53%, 45% and 41% (compared to 39, 51 and 35 on the road) - so I expect us to shoot well enough to make this a comfortable win.

We had 16 turnovers at Temple, the most in the 6 conference games (11, 9, 9, 8, 7 are the other five games). Just more signs we should play our game and win handily.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #104
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Definitely agree.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #105
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

So lower TO than the first game, playing at home, having Broome this time, expecting a better game from Cumberland. Not bad to potentially have all of this in our favor against a team we already beat.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #106
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

@Dan_Hoard
Here's how it ended the last time the #Bearcats faced Temple #ColdBloodedJacobEvans https://t.co/lzIeXABbtT
Old 01-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #107
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
@Dan_Hoard
Here's how it ended the last time the #Bearcats faced Temple #ColdBloodedJacobEvans https://t.co/lzIeXABbtT
I love how Terry was trying to contain his excitement.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #108
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
So lower TO than the first game, playing at home, having Broome this time, expecting a better game from Cumberland. Not bad to potentially have all of this in our favor against a team we already beat.

and to play a little devil's advocate, temple didn't exactly play great the first game either. 32.1 % from the floor, 26.1% from 3.

man that was one awful game from both sides. i can see a scenario where we blow them out, and i can see a scenario where its close all game. i dont want to see a scenario where we lose, but that game we lost to them here a couple years ago they put up 1.28 ppp with a team that was similar to this one.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #109
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
They scored 88 against Auburn, 1.21 ppp. They won by 14 despite negative rebounding and turnover margins. Hard to tell what you're going to get from Temple.

Last edited by sedziobs; 01-24-2018 at 02:07 PM.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #110
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
and to play a little devil's advocate, temple didn't exactly play great the first game either. 32.1 % from the floor, 26.1% from 3.

man that was one awful game from both sides. i can see a scenario where we blow them out, and i can see a scenario where its close all game. i dont want to see a scenario where we lose, but that game we lost to them here a couple years ago they put up 1.28 ppp with a team that was similar to this one.
I think we tend to do that type of thing to most teams we play. Maybe not quite that bad...but we do. They are like #96 in D and we are #2. They should not be holding us in the 50's...but I guess they have Cronin figured out.

I expect this game to be more comfortable
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote