Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome of the Wichita State game?
UC wins by 10+ 5 17.24%
UC wins by 7-9 9 31.03%
UC wins by 4-6 5 17.24%
UC wins by 1-3 3 10.34%
Wichita State wins 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #11
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
What worries me is, how do we stop the 3's?? Wichita shoots the 3 as well as (actually a tiny bit better) than Houston, & Houston killed us from 3 even in the game we won. Teams with good ball movement & several guys who can hit the 3 are UC's achilles heel ('course, I guess any team has problems with that kind of offense).

We had better hit some 3's ourselves or it's defeat
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
What worries me is, how do we stop the 3's?? Wichita shoots the 3 as well as (actually a tiny bit better) than Houston, & Houston killed us from 3 even in the game we won. Teams with good ball movement & several guys who can hit the 3 are UC's achilles heel ('course, I guess any team has problems with that kind of offense).

I think we shut them down more than they are used to. At the same time we tend to do pretty well against shaky defenses. At home I like our chances. On the road it's a toss up.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #13
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You have to score the god damn ball.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #14
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Shamet knows how to get a shot off and he can make it. Are the rest of them set shooters? Houston has 3 players who can creates space and knock one down. I like our chances against a set shooter team. I have only watched them once this year so I really have no idea.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #15
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Shamet knows how to get a shot off and he can make it. Are the rest of them set shooters? Houston has 3 players who can creates space and knock one down. I like our chances against a set shooter team. I have only watched them once this year so I really have no idea.
we're gonna have trouble if we can't stay in front of shamet. i dont think either pg can so jake probably has to take him.

we can't help off reaves or frankamp. this got us in trouble last night, we kept helping in spots it wasn't necessary and let great 3 point shooters get open looks.

plus morris and willis are like kwash and gary, they can step out and hit the occasional 3 (40.5% and 35% respectively).

its gonna be a tough one. we're going to have to score ourselves.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #16
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
we're gonna have trouble if we can't stay in front of shamet. i dont think either pg can so jake probably has to take him.

we can't help off reaves or frankamp. this got us in trouble last night, we kept helping in spots it wasn't necessary and let great 3 point shooters get open looks.

plus morris and willis are like kwash and gary, they can step out and hit the occasional 3 (40.5% and 35% respectively).

its gonna be a tough one. we're going to have to score ourselves.
I don't see either of those two capable of breaking down our D so I would agree. Don't switch. Let Evans take Shamet. We can go straight man on this team and only Shamet can break us down for the most part. They have an all around squad but they have been beat several times already. I don't think we struggle too much at home. We can get our shots off and we can make them uncomfortable.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #17
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I worry less when it’s at home.

But WSU is basically Xavier lite
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #18
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
They’ve hit their offensive stride and are dropping 80/90 points very easily
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #19
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

But WSU is basically Xavier lite
Good comparison. Fwiw, Wichita shot the ball worse at Houston than we did.

I think we can force them into a tough shooting night again.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #20
spinal070508

spinal070508 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Reaves is the guy we need to worry about. The kid has range
spinal070508 is offline   Reply With Quote