Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives

Old 05-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
'12 MI SG Javontae Hawkins (Offer)

Shooting guard
Flint, Michigan
Powers Catholic
AAU: Michigan Mustangs
Ht:6'5"
Class:2012 (High School)

He is a Rivals 4 star that is ranked 92nd in his class who has had a nice spring so far. Cincinnati along with Xavier, Boston College, and Minnesota have all recently offered. Other offers include Michigan, Ohio State, USC, and West Virginia and he has over 20 overall. He is a good jump shooter who can shoot from distance, but while his shot is smooth it's inconsistent. He has good athletic ability but needs to attack more and can struggle to create his own shot. Javontae needs to improve his ballhandling ability and be more agressive consistently, rather than just shooting jumpers. Has been compared to Durrell Summers of Michigan State.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 05-25-2011 at 12:12 PM.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #2
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
TheRecruitScoopAlex Kline

RT @EvanDanielscout: 2012 wing Javontae Hawkins of Michigan is headed to Huntington Prep (WV) next year.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

One of the more impressive players on the spring AAU circuit that has cemented his name among the top players in the Class of 2012 has been JaVontae Hawkins. The 6-foot-5, 202-lb shooting guard has turned in some very impressive performances with the Michigan Mustangs, officially breaking out in a big way back in April at the King James Shooting Stars event in Akron.

“This spring I just showed everyone that I can play against top talent and broke [out of] my shell by making athletic plays on both ends of the court and playing the shooting guard position at my best,” Hawkins told NBE earlier this week.

College coaches on the road in July will get a chance to see Hawkins at events such as the ScoutsFocus International Elite 80 Showcase July 10th and 11th in Greensboro (NC) and during AAU basketball’s Vegas week to close the live evaluation period. In the meantime Hawkins will continue to hone his skills for his moment to shine.

“I’m constantly working on my ball handling and just being a stronger and faster and smarter player everyday,” said Hawkins, adding that he goes up against former NBA players and pros from overseas to help his game. “I want to improve everything. I have the ability to do [what is needed] on and off the court to be an elite player.”

Hawkins is not a player to back down from a challenge. Despite leading his Flint (MI) Powers HS team to an impressive season in 2010-2011, Hawkins will take his game to Huntington (WV) Prep to play for coach Rob Fulford. At Huntington he will face elite competition everyday in practice and player a national schedule that will offer more exposure and the opportunity to play against the best players across the country.

“I chose to transfer to Huntington Prep because I know it will help me become an all-around player and I love to be put up against the best and be the best player on the floor and guarding the best player of the opposing team,” said Hawkins.

While the basketball reasons for moving to Huntington are pretty obvious, the move away from Flint was done for reasons more than just basketball. Two of his brothers were killed in shootings on the crime-ridden streets of Flint.

In August 2007, 14-year-old Dairea Bradley-Hawkins was gunned down just after a party in Flint by a stray bullet, and Quantrell Jamerson, 26, was shot while being robbed in August 2010.

Those deaths are a constant reminder for Hawkins to do what he can to succeed in life and he will use basketball to help him do so.

“I just want to survive at the next level, and growing up in Flint, the crime in my childhood community, and as I got older [it] became an attention getter and losing two older brothers in the past three years has been distracting to me, but I use it as a motivation and grind on and off the court.”

Colleges have certainly taken notice of Hawkins’ talents on the court and he will have no shortage of options when time comes to make a decision. At the moment, he plans to use the summer and the season at Huntington to gain more opportunities with schools with the added exposure. Even though he is planning for a late decision, the options nearly seem limitless now as he gave NBE a list of schools that currently include Colorado, Arizona State, Central Michigan, Dayton, DePaul, Detroit, Iowa, Iowa State, Miami (FL), Michigan, Minnesota, Oakland, Ohio State, South Florida, USC, West Virginia, Western Michigan, Cincinnati, Xavier, Boston College, Marquette, Wisconsin, Providence and Nebraska as schools actively recruiting him that he is considering.

“There are no favorites or leaders,” said Hawkins. “I’m very open in my recruitment.”

In the coming weeks Hawkins will discuss possible visits with his father, but none are currently planned. While a decision seems a long way off, either during his senior season or after it, there is some specific criteria he will be looking for in his future college home.

“All I want is a team that likes to win, play hard all the time and a great coach-to-player relationship on and off the court,” said Hawkins of factors in his future decision, adding “and of course a great educational based school.”

Expect Javontae Hawkins to be closely watched this summer by college coaches. When playing for scholarships in the summer AAU period some players may feel the pressure, we expect Hawkins to thrive in the atmosphere. It is the challenge he welcomes and with the memory of his two late brothers to push him forward, you can count on big things from Javontae Hawkins in the future!!!

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011...d-on-the-move/
Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
teerusty1

teerusty1 is on a distinguished road
TheRecruitScoop
Alex Kline

Javontae Hawkins, a 2012 guard from Michigan, will take an unofficial visit to Cincinnati on August 12th.
teerusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Class of 2012 wing JaVontae Hawkins of Flint, Mich. is committed to making himself the best player he can be. He will not settle for anything less.

Playing on the AAU circuit with the Michigan Mustangs this spring has allowed the 92nd rated prospect in the Rivals.com 2012 rankings to put his words into action.

“I would rate myself an 8 (out of 10) on my spring play,” Hawkins said. “It was a great spring for me, but I never settle for less. I’m always trying to improve my game and [point guard] skills, even though I’m a 2 and 3. I [would] be better off with doing everything a basketball player is capable. Expect [an] even better performance in July from me.”

Hawkins moved up to four-star recruit status with the latest Rivals.com 2012 rankings after a strong junior campaign at Powers Catholic High School in Flint. Hawkins describes himself as a “shooter” who “likes to attack the basket with aggressiveness,” but has worked on being more of a presence on the floor since the high school season ended.

“I [have] really tried to work on my ball-handling and being a more effective leader no matter if we are down or up,” Hawkins said.

Hawkins decided that he will play his senior season at Huntington Prep School in Huntington, W. Va. The school provides an opportunity to face some of the country’s top high school talent and leave an area where Hawkins has lost two brothers to murder in almost a four year period.

“Coming from Flint, it’s always about proving something on a positive point,” Hawkins said. “I just want to be up against the best, and I’m a competitor, so I’m going to go at whoever I’m put up against with no questions asked.”

“I just take them (brothers) to heart and use this as a motivation [to] go hard every day, and keep my focus in the classroom and on the court. I just want to make them proud by making it out of Flint and beginning a bright future.”

Hawkins’ recruitment has heated up in the last year with nearly 20 offers pouring in from high major schools around the country. In addition to DePaul’s offer, Hawkins has received offers from Big Ten schools such as Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota, Pac-12 (as of July 1) schools in Arizona State and USC, and other Big East schools such as Cincinnati, West Virginia and South Florida.

Hawkins is committed to being patient with so many options. He plans to wait until after his senior season to sign with a school during the 2012 spring signing period.

Hawkins does not have a clear favorite at the moment, but Cincinnati and Wisconsin have been calling a lot of late. So has DePaul, and a visit to the school with his father will occur in the fall.

“DePaul has been very active,” Hawkins said. “I’ve talked to coach [Brian] Ellerbe several times, and he’s a great character guy.”

“[Ellerbe] is a coach that will tell you what’s on his mind about your game, whether it’s great or something you need to work on, and I really respect him for that.”

The high pressure offensive and defensive system that head coach Oliver Purnell has instilled at DePaul over the past year has made Hawkins think of DePaul as a potential fit.

“I love their up-tempo game,” Hawkins said. “It’s amazing seeing them run and gun. That’s basically my game-I love to run in the open court and pressure teams.”

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...rivals-1232618
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
CDS86

CDS86 will become famous soon enough
JeremiahTrey0 Jeremiah Davis III
Shoutout to Javonta Hawkins for making an unofficial at the U of Cincinnati! #HPREP

"Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
CDS86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

TheRecruitScoopAlex Kline
Cincinnati is hosting JaVontae Hawkins, a 2012 SG from Huntington Prep (WV), for an unofficial visit today.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
Per Zagoria:

6-5 SG Javontae Hawkins of Huntington (WV) Prep will take officials to Colorado and USF, per coach Rob Fulford

Per TheRecruitScoop:

Javontae Hawkins '12 lists West Virginia, Cincinnati, Colorado, DePaul, Arizona St, USF, LSU, Boston College & Missouri as his top ten.
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Will take an unofficial this fall to West Virginia.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
TheRecruitScoop Alex Kline
2012 Huntington Prep (WV) SG Javontae Hawkins will take his first official visit to South Florida next weekend.
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote