Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #41
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
Hey guys, Shox fan here. I've been an admirer of your program for awhile. Three titles and 6 F4s is quite an impressive history, and recently Cronin has you firing on all cylinders.

Just wanted to drop in and reinforce how stoked WSU fans everywhere are about shackin' up with the AAC and playing some quality competition in conference for a change. Looking forward to cheering against you when our teams meet, and cheering for you the rest of the time. Go AAC, Go Shockers, Go Bearcats.
So pumped. I hope it's nice clean rivalry like Cincy vs SMU. I think we all agree that we found ourselves rooting for SMU in the NCAA tournament and would love to root for WSU. The UConn rivalry unfortunately has gotten too chippy. I hate the Huskies
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:53 PM   #42
Rocky Mountain Shock

Rocky Mountain Shock is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the UConn fans seem to be a, well, interesting bunch. I understand the school itself may have been a driving force in getting us in the conference, but the fans seem less than thrilled. Afraid of a little competition, maybe?

I say bring it on. We're getting out of a horrible situation where we were shellacking our conference mates by 20 points every night, winning 30 games, and getting a frickin' 10 seed. The way WSU fans see it, rising tides raise all ships. We hope SMU, Cincy, and others can challenge us, and vice versa, so we're all better and more prepared for deep runs in the tournament.

With that said, what's the scoop on the Bearcats in 2017-2018? Which of your players should I learn to despise when we play you, then will love when you're kicking P5 ass in the NCAAs?
Rocky Mountain Shock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #43
insomniaisevil

insomniaisevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, the UConn fans seem to be a, well, interesting bunch. I understand the school itself may have been a driving force in getting us in the conference, but the fans seem less than thrilled. Afraid of a little competition, maybe?

I say bring it on. We're getting out of a horrible situation where we were shellacking our conference mates by 20 points every night, winning 30 games, and getting a frickin' 10 seed. The way WSU fans see it, rising tides raise all ships. We hope SMU, Cincy, and others can challenge us, and vice versa, so we're all better and more prepared for deep runs in the tournament.

With that said, what's the scoop on the Bearcats in 2017-2018? Which of your players should I learn to despise when we play you, then will love when you're kicking P5 ass in the NCAAs?
I also say bring on the Shockers and the challenge. We played in the old Big East when it felt like another top 25 team every game. It was difficult, but fun.

As for next year's Cats, I am personally most excited about Gary Clark's senior year. I think most of the league probably feels like he's been here a decade. An ever improving 4 who might have a shot at the NBA. Also, beyond excited to see the growth of Jacob Evans (Junior wing) and Jarron Cumberland (sophomore wing). They both should be huge for the Cats next year.

I know the Shockers bring back...everyone.

Should be a good time all around. I'm really hoping the rest of the league continues to rise. I personally miss the crazy rivalry we had with Memphis years back.
insomniaisevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #44
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:

UC will, most likely, be preseason ranked next year. So far in the "way-too-early" rankings, I've seen anywhere from 12 to 24. Of our 5 best players, we're only losing one. And he's being replaced by a guy that dropped 23 ppg at Sacred Heart as a sophomore (he sat out last year and will start this upcoming year as a junior). Our starting lineup is already very much set -- Broome, Cumberland, Evans, Clark, Washington. All play hard defense and each one can drop 15 on any given night. UC vs Wichita has a chance to be a top 15 matchup. Hell, even top 10.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #45
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Adding the Shockers is great news! We aren't bringing back all 5 starters but many would say we will add by subtraction this year and most are expecting next year to be even better than last.

We will have a pair of seniors manning the 4 and 5 in Clark and Washington and they will probably average between them around 25 PPG, 15 rebounds or so, and around 2-3 blocks.

We bring back a pair of talented 6'5" and 6'6" wings in Evans and Cumberland who will have the potential to average between 25-30 PPG between them. We will lose our least effective starter on offense and replace with Cumberland.

We are losing a 4 year senior PG who was among the best nationally at taking care of the ball but was not a dynamic PG. We will replace with a transfer who sat out 1 year who averaged over 20 PPG at Sacred Heart and by many accounts is one of, if not the, most talented players on our team on offense. He could be a 15 PPG guy as well as any of the other starters.

We will lose a little bit on D but Cronin's system should provide a top notch defense no matter who is in the game. It could be a great year for both programs. Looking forward to it!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #46
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...047298523160-4

Quote:
The American Athletic Conference board of directors will vote on Friday to decide if it will admit Wichita State and if yes, will it happen for next season, according to a source with direct knowledge. Wichita State needs 75 percent of the votes for admission. The AAC is expected to add the Shockers and unless there is a hiccup for the 2017-18 season. Another source with direct knowledge said the Shockers want to go for next season and are willing to pass up all of its previous NCAA tournament units from winning games in the tournament to leave before the 24 month deadline to the Missouri Valley Conference without a penalty.
Looks like we'll know for sure by this weekend.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #47
HarryBosch

HarryBosch is on a distinguished road
Do the Shockers still play in the "Roundhouse"?
HarryBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #48
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
My God. the UCONN forums are a mess.

They must be the most arrogant fans in the world. A couple of mentioned that somehow UCONN is the same conference as WSU as if WSU hasn't been better than them for multuple years running.

This is great for our conference no matter which way you slice it. Uconn needs to get over themselves.

Maybe they should win the AAC regular season title before complaining how bad our conference is. They are far and away the best recruiting team in the league and still cant win a conference title.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #49
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
My God. the UCONN forums are a mess.

They must be the most arrogant fans in the world. A couple of mentioned that somehow UCONN is the same conference as WSU as if WSU hasn't been better than them for multuple years running.

This is great for our conference no matter which way you slice it. Uconn needs to get over themselves.

Maybe they should win the AAC regular season title before complaining how bad our conference is. They are far and away the best recruiting team in the league and still cant win a conference title.
Don't follow @NoEscalators then. He/She is hilarious but thinks UCONN is a blue blood up there with Duke/ UK who can not stand the idea of adding a WSU team that will help this conference out immensely.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #50
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat513 View Post
Don't follow @NoEscalators then. He/She is hilarious but thinks UCONN is a blue blood up there with Duke/ UK who can not stand the idea of adding a WSU team that will help this conference out immensely.
Well....they have won some recent championships no?

Truth is they are too good for this conference. As are the Bearcats and Wichita State....but its the best of what's available at this time for all 3 of them.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote