Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 08-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?

Why does UC struggle to fill a 40,000 seat stadium? UC is a large institution (close to OSU size) with numerous alumni in the area. I know the tradition at OSU is stronger, but come on. If we have hopes of getting into a Power 5 conference someday, UC people need to step up. Plus, what great entertainment--getting back on campus, college football and all the fanfare that goes along with it. UC should not struggle to fill this stadium--never!
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
Why does UC struggle to fill a 40,000 seat stadium? UC is a large institution (close to OSU size) with numerous alumni in the area. I know the tradition at OSU is stronger, but come on. If we have hopes of getting into a Power 5 conference someday, UC people need to step up. Plus, what great entertainment--getting back on campus, college football and all the fanfare that goes along with it. UC should not struggle to fill this stadium--never!
Because Cincinnati is a professional sports town and frankly UC football hasn't been that great in a few years. OSU is a great team in a city where they have zero competition. They also represent the State of Ohio so they get loyalty from people who live in small towns and want a sports team to identify with. OSU will always have big crowds, but they sell out every game because they are good.

If fans feel like this UC team is exciting and has a chance to compete for something meaningful you'll see Nippert sell out again, just like did when BK took us on those runs.

People ask this question all the time and the answer is really simple. If you can compete for titles fans will be more interested and they'll pack your stadiums. This is true for UC, XU, Bengals, Reds and even Cyclones.

Last edited by UCBearcats; 08-25-2015 at 09:10 AM.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Because Cincinnati is a professional sports town and frankly UC football hasn't been that great in a few years. OSU is a great team in a city where they have zero competition. They also represent the State of Ohio so they get loyalty from people who live in small towns and want a sports team to identify with. OSU will always have big crowds, but they sell out every game because they are good. The one year they had Luke Fickell and went 5-7 they didn't sell out all their games.

If fans feel like this UC team is exciting and has a chance to compete for something meaningful you'll see Nippert sell out again, just like did when BK took us on those runs.

People ask this question all the time and the answer is really simple. If you can compete for titles fans will be more interested and they'll pack your stadiums. This is true for UC, XU, Bengals, Reds and even Cyclones.
I feel like it is a high school sports town. I haven't lived in Cincinnati in over a decade, and it always amazes me when I come back how much my family there knows/cares about their high school sports teams. My cousins go to most of the games, even though they graduated 10+ years ago. And my aunts and uncles go even though their kids aren't even in the school anymore. That is way different from any other place I have lived. So maybe my situation is unique, but it feels like people would rather do the Friday night football thing. It is closer to home and cheaper, and still allows the entire weekend for relaxing or working around the house.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
LaxCat31

LaxCat31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I feel like it is a high school sports town. I haven't lived in Cincinnati in over a decade, and it always amazes me when I come back how much my family there knows/cares about their high school sports teams. My cousins go to most of the games, even though they graduated 10+ years ago. And my aunts and uncles go even though their kids aren't even in the school anymore. That is way different from any other place I have lived. So maybe my situation is unique, but it feels like people would rather do the Friday night football thing. It is closer to home and cheaper, and still allows the entire weekend for relaxing or working around the house.
High School football on Fridays and then pro sports any other night of the week... Thats what happens in a town where everyone asks where you went to high school instead of where you're from.
LaxCat31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
Ummm...because of the fans???
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
xlax

xlax is on a distinguished road
This guy has made 26 posts here. Here's a link to all of them:

http://www.bearcattalk.com/search.php?searchid=210613

I'll let people decide for themselves whether he's a troll or not.
xlax is offline   Reply With Quote