Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2014, 07:18 AM   #1
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
UC Requesting Quotes on $70M Fifth Third Arena Renovation

@buildingcincy: OFCC issues RFQ for design/architecture services for $70M renovation/redesign of Fifth-Third Area/Shoemaker Center: http://ofcc.ohio.gov/Portals/0/Documents...15074A.pdf

Looks very promising!
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
jbreeds1

jbreeds1 is on a distinguished road
Looks like they are shooting for it to be ready for the 2018-19 season.
jbreeds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
BearcatSpaniard513
Elite Member

BearcatSpaniard513 is on a distinguished road
This just makes me think when it's all said and done Mick is going to be a Legend here. Returning UC basketball from where it was, pushing for and getting the facilities upgraded, not leaving for more money or other programs with better facilities... I'm glad they are actually moving forward with this or at least getting quotes for it
BearcatSpaniard513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeds1 View Post
Looks like they are shooting for it to be ready for the 2018-19 season.
It says in the PDF that they're looking to begin construction in April 2016 and have it ready by November 2017. So 3 seasons from now. Also says it would require the basketball team to play elsewhere for a season (guessing at US Bank Arena downtown like they did with football).

My guess is, they're going to use this season to go over the plans with architecture firms, have a deal with the official announcement and photos/details following this season, and a year later, they begin construction. That's basically how it went with Nippert.

The link says basically everything I thought they were looking into. Fewer seats, but more quality seats. More box suites. Fixing the lower "bowl." Consessions, bathrooms, etc. all getting renovated. It also mentioned they won't be turning the court 90 degrees, which I'm happy about as well.

Very excited.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Good to hear! Get rid of the obstructed seats and adding more luxury suites will probably bring the capacity around 11.5-12k. That would be satisfactory to me.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
BearcatSpaniard513
Elite Member

BearcatSpaniard513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Good to hear! Get rid of the obstructed seats and adding more luxury suites will probably bring the capacity around 11.5-12k. That would be satisfactory to me.
Yeah the seats in the corner and the bleachers up top need to go. We've all been there when it hits 13,176, but honestly how many times does it hit that a year? 11.5-12k should be perfect
BearcatSpaniard513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatSpaniard513 View Post
Yeah the seats in the corner and the bleachers up top need to go. We've all been there when it hits 13,176, but honestly how many times does it hit that a year? 11.5-12k should be perfect
To me, attendance doesn't matter as much as having a nice, packed arena. It just looks good. On TV, to recruits, fanbase as a whole, etc. If you start selling out every game and wish you had more seats, you can always up the prices on the seats a little to continue increasing revenue. Nothing worse to me than giant arenas that are only half full.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
TheShoeFits

TheShoeFits will become famous soon enough
http://cincyontheprowl.com/2014/10/3...a-renovations/
TheShoeFits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
aronius

aronius is on a distinguished road
The seating number being talked about by UC is closer to 10K than 12K. The renovation will be primarily focused on premium seating and amenities. I was opposed to renovating 5th 3rd but the preliminary drawings they have are very encouraging.
aronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Always good to hear. I really hope the focus on really upgrading the amenities for the normal fans. (The ones who aren't sitting in club suites.) I really want to see a full reamp of food/consessions, technology like nice TV's in the concourses etc, obviously the rest rooms.

This renovation is bigger than adding more suite boxes to generate more money.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote