Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2015 Recruiting Profiles

Old 07-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #241
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
How do you know this? Source/Link? There is no consistency on this site, BB got banned for this two days ago, he was told no exceptions for not providing link.

Me thinks that someone wanted to break the story and was not happy that Washington told national pudnits before UC's and Rothstein broke the news. Same think happened with Lawrence, Zags was not happy b/c he didn't get credit for breaking the news and Lawrence announced on tumblr
Was really figure of speech. Cumberland was on Twitter on 29th telling his buddy take uc offer. We did news officially break he signed?
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #242
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
Pretty sure this is a shot at Chad. As far as I'm concerned, Chad is an inside source, so he can source himself. If you choose to not believe him, that's your call.

If users such as bulldog and bearcatboy can prove that they have legitimate inside sources, then sure, they can source themselves.

Of course, I'm no mod, so I'm simply suggesting things. Just sick of the info stealing and the jabs at one another.
I agree, I don't get the Chad haters on this board. I am pretty sure he is the only person that I have heard interviewed on the radio regarding UC recruiting.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #243
Bulldog01
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
I agree. I also love hearing lately the recent commits have said Cronin knows and is implementating individual NBA style work outs. Like with Washington, he mentioned how Cronin worked with Kenyon Martin. Cumberland said Cronin and his father have laid out a strategic plan to get him prepared for the NBA.

I love hearing how respected Mick is.
Cronin know what it takes. develop guys for nba or else. Mick is smart when it comes to understanding what it takes to win big time.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #244
Bulldog01
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post

If users such as bulldog and bearcatboy can prove that they have legitimate inside sources, then sure, they can source themselves.

Of course, I'm no mod, so I'm simply suggesting things. Just sick of the info stealing and the jabs at one another.
leave my name out of it please. I don't claim to have source.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #245
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Get the discussion back on track. Thank you.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #246
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Earlier in the recruiting period a poster suggested that we tell these recruits exactly what they want to hear to get a commit. There is a saying in Vegas, smart money comes late. I am glad that we passed in Izundu and were able to keep focused on Washington. I also would have liked Rousey but Cumberland is that Ohio recruit we have been waiting for and now makes it better having a shot at Alkins, Duval or Simpson.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #247
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
Already up 10lbs in just 4 weeks of training with our program. Per rehfeldt
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:40 AM   #248
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
the right coach

CINCINNATI – Kyle Washington won’t play in his first game for the University of Cincinnati Bearcats until next November but he’s already convinced that his decision to choose UC after transferring from North Carolina State was the right one.

“It was an awesome decision for me to come here,” Washington said, “because of my skill set and what I needed to become a complete basketball player, and that’s still a process I’m going through right now. Coach (Mick Cronin) has given me all of that in terms of knowing what I can do offensively, but also knowing that I needed to improve defensively and rebounding-wise. Obviously, we’re known for defense at Cincinnati, so that focus has really gotten me better.”

Washington, a 6-foot-9, 225-pound power forward from Champlin, Minn., started 18 games for the Wolfpack last season as a sophomore. He played an average of 17.8 minutes per game, averaging 6.8 points and 4.1 rebounds. He has two years of eligibility remaining.

At NC State, Washington didn’t feel that his coach, Mark Gottfried had the same goals for him that he had, so he decided to find a coach who did, a coach who would help him reach his full potential. As a Top 60 national recruit coming out of high school, he attracted plenty of interest.

“Coach Gottfried and I just didn’t see eye to eye,” Washington said. “I think Coach had a certain ceiling for me to reach and I thought my ceiling was way higher. I’m blessed that I was able to have that many decisions when I did transfer. I think that was a sign of how good people thought I could be and how good I thought I could be, so that really correlated. And then when I met Coach (Cronin) when I was on the visit here, when he and I were just talking, I found out that we think the same way in so many different facets.”

Washington mentioned Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, West Virginia and Xavier among the many schools that pursued him, but when he made his visit to UC last summer, he knew that what the place for him. He told his dad and his brother, who accompanied him, that not only did he want to go to UC, he felt that he had to if he was going to become the player he believed he could be.

“I did some good things (at NC State) but now I want to really complete it here and take us far,” Washington said. “I knew what Coach was doing here. I knew the culture. I knew what we were all about before I even got here, so just coming here and talking to him solidified what I thought I had to do to become a complete basketball player.”

Washington has to sit out this year under NCAA transfer rules, but he’s allowed to practice with the team, and, according to Cronin, he has shown improvement, especially as a rebounder. Washington is expected to assume Octavius Ellis’ position next year and Cronin sees him as a fixture in the UC lineup for the next two years.

“Kyle’s got tremendous offensive ability and he’s a great leader with tremendous character,” Cronin said. “The biggest adjustment for Kyle to play extended minutes will be to calm down on the offensive end and learn how to play defense without fouling. Because of his role at NC State, he didn’t play extended minutes. He played a lot but he’d play in three- to five-minute stretches.

“We want him to be a 30- to 35-minute-a-game guy where he knows he doesn’t have to look for his shot every time he touches the ball because he’s going to play the whole game vs. a guy in his old role where he didn’t know. Some games he’d play seven, some games he’d play 20-some minutes, some games he’d play 27.”

Sitting out has been difficult, Washington said, as it is for most players in his situation, but not as difficult as it might seem. He arrived at UC determined to make the most of his new situation and to use his year off to become a more complete player. He has dedicated himself to get into top condition during this transition year and to learning as much as he can so he’ll be ready when he’s called on next year.

“Coach is definitely right,” Washington said. “I still need to learn how to play 30 minutes hard on both ends because that’s just a transition you have to get used to. But I think my focus is really going to help me, getting 11 ½ hours of sleep a night, eating well.

Eleven and a half hours of sleep every night?

“You’ve got to get that to be able to come back and go through a Coach Cronin practice,” Washington said. “You have to be well rested. You have to eat well and you have to be in peak physical condition. Once I’m doing that, I’ll be on my way because I have the drive to do it. I play hard and I’m real enthusiastic.

“I can’t wait for next year. I’m working hard. If you want to be great, you can’t just say, ‘I want to be great.’ You have to let your actions reflect your priorities.

Bill Koch covered UC athletics for 27 years – 15 at The Cincinnati Post and 12 at The Cincinnati Enquirer – before joining the staff of GoBearcats.com in January 2015. He has written a new book, a memoir titled, “I Can’t Believe I Got Paid For This.” The book is available on-line only at https://www.createspace.com/5921488 and at Amazon.com.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #249
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ BEARCAT View Post
CINCINNATI – Kyle Washington won’t play in his first game for the University of Cincinnati Bearcats until next November but he’s already convinced that his decision to choose UC after transferring from North Carolina State was the right one.

“It was an awesome decision for me to come here,” Washington said, “because of my skill set and what I needed to become a complete basketball player, and that’s still a process I’m going through right now. Coach (Mick Cronin) has given me all of that in terms of knowing what I can do offensively, but also knowing that I needed to improve defensively and rebounding-wise. Obviously, we’re known for defense at Cincinnati, so that focus has really gotten me better.”

Washington, a 6-foot-9, 225-pound power forward from Champlin, Minn., started 18 games for the Wolfpack last season as a sophomore. He played an average of 17.8 minutes per game, averaging 6.8 points and 4.1 rebounds. He has two years of eligibility remaining.

At NC State, Washington didn’t feel that his coach, Mark Gottfried had the same goals for him that he had, so he decided to find a coach who did, a coach who would help him reach his full potential. As a Top 60 national recruit coming out of high school, he attracted plenty of interest.

“Coach Gottfried and I just didn’t see eye to eye,” Washington said. “I think Coach had a certain ceiling for me to reach and I thought my ceiling was way higher. I’m blessed that I was able to have that many decisions when I did transfer. I think that was a sign of how good people thought I could be and how good I thought I could be, so that really correlated. And then when I met Coach (Cronin) when I was on the visit here, when he and I were just talking, I found out that we think the same way in so many different facets.”

Washington mentioned Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, West Virginia and Xavier among the many schools that pursued him, but when he made his visit to UC last summer, he knew that what the place for him. He told his dad and his brother, who accompanied him, that not only did he want to go to UC, he felt that he had to if he was going to become the player he believed he could be.

“I did some good things (at NC State) but now I want to really complete it here and take us far,” Washington said. “I knew what Coach was doing here. I knew the culture. I knew what we were all about before I even got here, so just coming here and talking to him solidified what I thought I had to do to become a complete basketball player.”

Washington has to sit out this year under NCAA transfer rules, but he’s allowed to practice with the team, and, according to Cronin, he has shown improvement, especially as a rebounder. Washington is expected to assume Octavius Ellis’ position next year and Cronin sees him as a fixture in the UC lineup for the next two years.

“Kyle’s got tremendous offensive ability and he’s a great leader with tremendous character,” Cronin said. “The biggest adjustment for Kyle to play extended minutes will be to calm down on the offensive end and learn how to play defense without fouling. Because of his role at NC State, he didn’t play extended minutes. He played a lot but he’d play in three- to five-minute stretches.

“We want him to be a 30- to 35-minute-a-game guy where he knows he doesn’t have to look for his shot every time he touches the ball because he’s going to play the whole game vs. a guy in his old role where he didn’t know. Some games he’d play seven, some games he’d play 20-some minutes, some games he’d play 27.”

Sitting out has been difficult, Washington said, as it is for most players in his situation, but not as difficult as it might seem. He arrived at UC determined to make the most of his new situation and to use his year off to become a more complete player. He has dedicated himself to get into top condition during this transition year and to learning as much as he can so he’ll be ready when he’s called on next year.

“Coach is definitely right,” Washington said. “I still need to learn how to play 30 minutes hard on both ends because that’s just a transition you have to get used to. But I think my focus is really going to help me, getting 11 ½ hours of sleep a night, eating well.

Eleven and a half hours of sleep every night?

“You’ve got to get that to be able to come back and go through a Coach Cronin practice,” Washington said. “You have to be well rested. You have to eat well and you have to be in peak physical condition. Once I’m doing that, I’ll be on my way because I have the drive to do it. I play hard and I’m real enthusiastic.

“I can’t wait for next year. I’m working hard. If you want to be great, you can’t just say, ‘I want to be great.’ You have to let your actions reflect your priorities.

Bill Koch covered UC athletics for 27 years – 15 at The Cincinnati Post and 12 at The Cincinnati Enquirer – before joining the staff of GoBearcats.com in January 2015. He has written a new book, a memoir titled, “I Can’t Believe I Got Paid For This.” The book is available on-line only at https://www.createspace.com/5921488 and at Amazon.com.
I have very high hopes for Kyle.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #250
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
What I'd give for 11.5 hours a sleep....good read. Hopefully he becomes a great player for UC.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote