Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-05-2017, 12:17 PM   #791
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Oddly we regressed on length of possession from 2015-16 to 16-17

We went from from 17.9 to 18.7.. which is weird considering we felt faster last year.

It’s crazy the Troy Caupain era is over, and like mick said, his biggest concern is who is going to fill those shoes. Evans seemed like he was ready and wiling to step up.

I also went back and watched the last crosstown shootout at Cintas Center and how offensively we lacked consistently. It’s just going to be great to bring in 5 starter who can all score into the Cintas Center
This could very well be due to the idea we wanted to feed the paint when we could. We didn't quite have the same urgency to feed the paint with Ellis in the game vs Washington. If we try to do this again it could keep our time of possession still a little high but we can improve in other areas for pace.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #792
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
This could very well be due to the idea we wanted to feed the paint when we could. We didn't quite have the same urgency to feed the paint with Ellis in the game vs Washington. If we try to do this again it could keep our time of possession still a little high but we can improve in other areas for pace.
We also won way more games so maybe we had our foot off the gas late in games. Dribbling out the shot clock when winning vs needing quick buckets when losing in a few games could make a difference.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #793
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
On the BCJ Podcast, Justin Berg was talking about how the stats differ so much when we shoot too many 3s vs getting to the line. I'd be curious to see how many of those FT came in the last 2 minutes bc I think there's an obvious correlation between that and winning. And I'm sure the large FT numbers being referenced are in pretty much all wins. But even so, it's nice to have guys who can attack. I mean really only Evans, Cumberland, and T Moore will have a permanent green light from deep. For everyone else on the team, it has to be the right shot in rhythm.
This would be a very interesting factor. FYI

Cumberland 5.2 FTA per 40. KJ 1.7 FTA per 40

Broome 7.2 FTA per 40 (at Sacred Heart). Troy 3.4 FTA per 40

I imagine Cane's will go down significantly but still
Old 10-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #794
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
This would be a very interesting factor. FYI

Cumberland 5.2 FTA per 40. KJ 1.7 FTA per 40

Broome 7.2 FTA per 40 (at Sacred Heart). Troy 3.4 FTA per 40

I imagine Cane's will go down significantly but still

For sure.. getting to the line should be a huge strength of this team.

Gary, Kyle, jarron and cane should all draw fouls at a pretty decent rate. And if Jake decides to be more aggressive on the dribble drive, he could pick it up too.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #795
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
Jon Rothstein is currently firing off all his typical UC tweets. Love the attention but damn is he corny.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #796
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
For sure.. getting to the line should be a huge strength of this team.

Gary, Kyle, jarron and cane should all draw fouls at a pretty decent rate. And if Jake decides to be more aggressive on the dribble drive, he could pick it up too.
I know we aren't a great FT shooting team but I would like Evans to be shooting as many as he can. It's also high time we address the issue of FT shooting %. Most of these guys should be able to knock down 3 of 4 with their eyes closed...especially the guards. There is no need for these players to sit there and be thinking too much over a foul shot when you have so many distractions in the background. Grab ball....shoot ball. It's a muscle memory thing. Shooting FT's should not be a concentration issue...they shoot 100's of these per week.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #797
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

https://youtu.be/8WioOEG7D1Y

Here's a GoBeaecats clip of a few of the guys. Evans sounds really excited to get going.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #798
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Seeing Jaquan Parker and demarr Johnson who are former players as assistant coaches is pretty cool. I really feel like Kevin Johnson would be a good assistant coach as well some day, being from Cincinnati and being a very well spoken good kid....

Probably won’t ever happen but i feel like it would be a good fit.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #799
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Seeing Jaquan Parker and demarr Johnson who are former players as assistant coaches is pretty cool. I really feel like Kevin Johnson would be a good assistant coach as well some day, being from Cincinnati and being a very well spoken good kid....

Probably won’t ever happen but i feel like it would be a good fit.
I think I remember Kevin Johnson saying something about wanting to get into coaching last year.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #800
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

https://youtu.be/vlew3uFWnFs

Strength and Conditioning