Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 09-05-2017, 07:33 AM   #11
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown Bearcat View Post
Be curious to see what happens one thing I like about cronin is I cant remember him ever kicking a kid off scholy simply to add a better player. He seems to care about his kids more then winning which is rare in college sports these days. While some may see that as a bad thing its something I have respected about cronin big time in his tenure most other coaches kick underachieving kids off teams all the time to open scholarships up without the kid doing anything wrong besides not living up to expectation or someone else being better wanting to sign or transfer. I may be forgetting a situation but I dont think so. I was always a Quad fan though I hope he can find the right fit and have himself a great senior year. I think if he goes to a small school he can actually be a offensive force in the right situation.
We rarely (if ever) have been in a position to remove players bc of a roster crunch. I don't think Cronin would do it...but he hasn't exactly had to either.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Quadri was a good kid I'm sad as a person he left, but as a fan he was a weak link to our team. The thing about him leaving that excites me is that he must have seen from diarra there was no way he was going to get playing time because he was so good and not to mention tre Scott.
I don't know if this is actual fact, but that is what I assume happened.

This is the first team I can not name a weak link that I don't want in the game under mick cronin.
No matter the reason he left we are still 6 deep at big 7 if you count small ball. Red shirt would still be a viable option IMO if there is a reason to use it. In big/close games there are still going to probably be 2 guys who don't see the court for over 5 minutes if they see the court at all. I think Brooks is the only guy who is probably a "lock" to get in the game for 10 minutes or more in those games. Who comes in after the first 3 is probably a toss up right now but Scott has been in the system for 2 years now so he knows what to do. Diarra should push him if he can learn quickly. Nsoseme might see a little action if we get in serious foul trouble between Clark, Washington, and Brooks. If Nsoseme is a maniac on the boards and protecting the rim he could prove to be very useful at times.

The main thing we lost with Q is a guy who wasn't afraid to shoot and gave us a scoring punch in a few games that helped. He wasn't very good on the D end and he was streaky on offense. Hopefully Diarra can add a little bit of the scoring back in especially a 3 ball here or there. Overall the loss of Q could be addition by subtraction since it gives the younger guys more time on the floor to learn. Even if we redshirt 1 guy we will still have more depth than last year. There won't be many times we will use a 5th big in games that count let alone 6...since we can also use the small ball option. Playing Williams or Moore could be a better option than using our 5th or 6th big.

I do hope Quad finds a good landing spot for himself. I also hope the young kids use this opportunity to work their butts off to get in the games.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #13
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
I hope that Bragg did not make his decision when he did based on the full roster when he was looking to transfer. For that reason, don't like the timing of this.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #14
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I hope that Bragg did not make his decision when he did based on the full roster when he was looking to transfer. For that reason, don't like the timing of this.
The Bragg situation was very complicated, and if UC wanted to fully pursue roster space would have been figured out. There's a reason Arizona State was his only viable option...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #15
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
The Bragg situation was very complicated, and if UC wanted to fully pursue roster space would have been figured out. There's a reason Arizona State was his only viable option...
It had to be complicated if eggs was not able to find a way to take him. I was just using Bragg as an Example, now UC is virtually unable to use that scholly this year due to the timing

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 09-06-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #16
ThomasMac

ThomasMac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It had to be complicated if eggs was not able to find a way to take him. I was just using Bragg as an Example, now UC is virtually unable to use that scholly this year due to the timing
Not always a bad thing though. It now gives us a little more flexibility for 2018-2019.
ThomasMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #17
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMac View Post
Not always a bad thing though. It now gives us a little more flexibility for 2018-2019.
It changes literally nothing on recruiting going forward...
Old 09-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #18
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Quote:
It's not like UC just decided to punt on the day school started. It isn't an ideal spot, but they still have 6 bigs and are 3 deep at the 4 and 5. Even if one redshirts they have plenty of bodies to work with...
Old 09-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #19
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
It's not like UC just decided to punt on the day school started. It isn't an ideal spot, but they still have 6 bigs and are 3 deep at the 4 and 5. Even if one redshirts they have plenty of bodies to work with...
I understand nothing happened, just would have been interesting had it happened earlier to see if they could have added something for this year or next
Old 09-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #20
RDCat
Banned

RDCat is on a distinguished road
We put up with a lot of growing pains with Quadri. I thought he showed some growth last year and was actually looking forward to him being here as a senior. I know he wasn't a popular player here, but I'm sad to see him go. I thought we might finally get a decent season out of him.
RDCat is offline   Reply With Quote