Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get?
1-2 9 14.52%
3 27 43.55%
4 15 24.19%
5 9 14.52%
6 2 3.23%
7 or worse 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Bracketology

I'm not the best at tracking this stuff, so hopefully some of you hardcore number crunchers can have at this thread. I guess we're getting to the point where the cement is starting to dry a bit and this stuff is starting to carry more weight.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
jtsladder@aol.com

jtsladder@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I'm not the best at tracking this stuff, so hopefully some of you hardcore number crunchers can have at this thread. I guess we're getting to the point where the cement is starting to dry a bit and this stuff is starting to carry more weight.
We are currently a 5 as per Lunardi
jtsladder@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
If you aren't familiar with it, two sites to use

www.bracketmatrix.com

Compiles over 70 different people who do this. Shows average, high and low ranges, and links to each guys bracket. I think the wisdom of the crowds is pretty much +/- 1 seed line come selection Sunday for the vast majority of teams.

Also really like warren Nolan's site for tracking RPI. We all know the metric is dumb, but the committee use it and this is updated in real time almost instantly, gives projections, impact games that you can see what if stuff for rankings depending on future outcomes etc. Lots of cool features

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/20...ule/Cincinnati
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post

www.bracketmatrix.com

Compiles over 70 different people who do this. Shows average, high and low ranges, and links to each guys bracket. I think the wisdom of the crowds is pretty much +/- 1 seed line come selection Sunday for the vast majority of teams.

Also really like warren Nolan's site for tracking RPI. We all know the metric is dumb, but the committee use it and this is updated in real time almost instantly, gives projections, impact games that you can see what if stuff for rankings depending on future outcomes etc. Lots of cool features

Cool sites. I like the last one a lot. It predicts we win out till the last game and end up RPI 16. The 4 toughest games are WSU away, SMU away, Houston away, WSU home...in that order. 2 point dogs against WSU away but only favored by 2 or 3 over SMU and Houston.

I will still be happy with 2 losses from here on out but we control destiny again.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #5
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:

www.bracketmatrix.com

Thanks Ervin!! Good stuff
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #6
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

www.bracketmatrix.com

I like that last site a lot. I looked around on there a little bit and looked at that last tab which is "predicted results". It gives a prediction on wins and losses against each team as well as what our final RPI would look like and the amount of column 1, 2, 3, and 4 wins if all went according to plan (which I know it won't).

It shows a regular season ending of us winning every game until WSU away. Final RPI of 13. 5-3 against column 1 and 7-0 against column 2.

Of course none of the teams will go according to stat based predictions...but it's a good way to figure out who to root for as we go. You can look at other teams predicted results as well. Look at their predicted final RPI etc.

As of now WSU would be our best chance obviously. Buffalo is next not only current but predicted RPI at the end in the high 20's. Then SMU and Houston are predicted in the high 30's. I don't think there are any in the predicted results between 40 and 90...then we have a bunch between 90-150. Of course this can't factor in a team getting hot or cold (injuries etc)...but it's a good start to know who to root for.

Last edited by waterhead; 01-18-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #7
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Interesting stuff. So thankful for all the guys who do the research and post this info. Thanks to all
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I like that last site a lot. I looked around on there a little bit and looked at that last tab which is "predicted results". It gives a prediction on wins and losses against each team as well as what our final RPI would look like and the amount of column 1, 2, 3, and 4 wins if all went according to plan (which I know it won't).

It shows a regular season ending of us winning every game until WSU away. Final RPI of 13. 5-3 against column 1 and 7-0 against column 2.

Of course none of the teams will go according to stat based predictions...but it's a good way to figure out who to root for as we go. You can look at other teams predicted results as well. Look at their predicted final RPI etc.

As of now WSU would be our best chance obviously. Buffalo is next not only current but predicted RPI at the end in the high 20's. Then SMU and Houston are predicted in the high 30's. I don't think there are any in the predicted results between 40 and 90...then we have a bunch between 90-150. Of course this can't factor in a team getting hot or cold (injuries etc)...but it's a good start to know who to root for.
Let me clarify something. I threw Buffalo in there because they are the highest team we beat. The rest I am looking at future chances. We still need to root for teams like Miss St and UCLA etc.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #9
waterhead
Senior Moderator

A breakdown of 15 teams to root for. I am listing current RPI, followed by projected RPI, followed by current Kenpom. I am only listing potential column 1 and column 2 chances.

Teams we have lost to...

Eggs away...5...6...16 (no danger in moving out of column 1)
FLA neutral...36...27...25 (no danger in moving out of column 1)

OOC teams we beat...

Buffalo...29...25...76 (big disparity here between RPI and Kenpom)...but root root root. They need to finish top 50 rpi for a neutral column 1 win.
UCLA...49...59...51 (We just need them to stay top 75 for column 1)
Miss St...75...77...71 (They are on the bubble of top 75 column 2 home win...we need to root for this team)
Wyoming...88...122...124 (we need them to be top 100 for neutral column 2 win)

Rest of conference play...

WSU...28...18...15 (We need them to stay top 30 RPI for 2 column 1 games)
SMU...59...35...32 (without Foster I don't think they can reach column 1 home win but no danger of dropping from column 1 away and column 2 home games)
Houston...56...45...44 (they aren't getting in column 1 home and in no danger of moving from column 1 away or column 2 home game)

Temple...50...93...94 (we need them top 75 to get a column 1 away win and column 2 home win)
UCF...60...108...83 (ditto to Temple...with Taylor back they might have a chance)

Tulane...105...137...128 ( we need them top 135 for a column 2 away game)
Uconn...93...106...157 (ditto to Tulane but we play Uconn twice)
Memphis...83...129...142 (ditto to above and we play them twice)

No other team on our schedule has a real opportunity right now to move into column 1 or 2.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #10
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
A breakdown of 15 teams to root for. I am listing current RPI, followed by projected RPI, followed by current Kenpom. I am only listing potential column 1 and column 2 chances.

Teams we have lost to...

Eggs away...5...6...16 (no danger in moving out of column 1)
FLA neutral...36...27...25 (no danger in moving out of column 1)

OOC teams we beat...

Buffalo...29...25...76 (big disparity here between RPI and Kenpom)...but root root root. They need to finish top 50 rpi for a neutral column 1 win.
UCLA...49...59...51 (We just need them to stay top 75 for column 1)
Miss St...75...77...71 (They are on the bubble of top 75 column 2 home win...we need to root for this team)
Wyoming...88...122...124 (we need them to be top 100 for neutral column 2 win)

Rest of conference play...

WSU...28...18...15 (We need them to stay top 30 RPI for 2 column 1 games)
SMU...59...35...32 (without Foster I don't think they can reach column 1 home win but no danger of dropping from column 1 away and column 2 home games)
Houston...56...45...44 (they aren't getting in column 1 home and in no danger of moving from column 1 away or column 2 home game)

Temple...50...93...94 (we need them top 75 to get a column 1 away win and column 2 home win)
UCF...60...108...83 (ditto to Temple...with Taylor back they might have a chance)

Tulane...105...137...128 ( we need them top 135 for a column 2 away game)
Uconn...93...106...157 (ditto to Tulane but we play Uconn twice)
Memphis...83...129...142 (ditto to above and we play them twice)

No other team on our schedule has a real opportunity right now to move into column 1 or 2.
I said a list of 15 teams to root for. UC was not on that list but is obviously #1. #24 current RPI, #13 projected RPI, #7 current Kenpom.