Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #31
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Crazy how much you've switched around your favoritism of Moore and Williams. I know Moore has been putting up a lot of bricks and been struggling g the last couple games. But I haven't seen much nor eout of Williams to warrant being his replacement.
Moore needs to change his attitude and work ethic. He messes around during warmups, not making ANY shots, taking silly shots. I am disappointed that the coaches do not see this and correct his approach.
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #32
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
What does everyone think about these rotations for the 1st half of future games?

Starting Line-up
Broome
Cumberland
Evans
Clark
Washington

1st Media Timeout Line-up
Broome
Cumberland
Evans
Clark
Brooks

2nd Media Timeout Line-up
Jenifer
Williams
Evans
Scott
Washington

3rd Media Timeout Line-up
Jenifer
Broome
Cumberland
Clark
Nsoseme

Final Media Timeout Line-up
Broome
Cumberland
Evans
Clark
Washington
I don't think Cronin subs on time like the NBA. I think sometimes, yes. He did during the WSU game some but I think mostly he waits for mistakes. He even mentioned how NBA does subs and he worded as in college they don't do it like NBA.

I don't care how it shakes out we just need Cane at 30 min. Been saying that from the beginning.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #33
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Yes I agree it's kind of crazy. But keep in mind we are talking about 10 or so minutes of playing time.

I like Williams's length and athleticism for spot minutes. He grabbed an offensive rebound the other day, got to the line, has hit 83% FT in AAC play. His aggressiveness can actually be used as an advantage in these types of minutes. He might go 2-3 and get to the line. I really feel like he has a much better chance than Moore to put up a quick 5. Moore is shooting 29% in conference play. And even worse from 3. That's supposed to be his thing. I still have moderately high hopes for him, and I think he'll be a contributor. I just don't think he's ready for that at this point against the best of the best teams in the country. Williams I believe is over a year older than Moore. He's a much more gifted athlete. That's who I'd be going with.
Yeah I just feel like Williams can get a little over zealous on both offense and defense. I've seen him get beat being too excited going after the ball instead of just staying in front of his man, and we all know how much he likes to shoot when he shouldn't (although I think he's gotten better about that). I just think Moore is a little more disciplined and basketball savvy. But either way I don't think either player is enough of a drop off from the other that it really makes a difference in any outcome so of our games the rest of the way.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #34
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
9 of the 19 teams that UC has beat have winning records
Old 02-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #35
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
Moore needs to change his attitude and work ethic. He messes around during warmups, not making ANY shots, taking silly shots. I am disappointed that the coaches do not see this and correct his approach.
Knowing the coach's take on offense does this surprise you? Plus the coach said that UC is not a good shooting team, so wouldnt matter anyway.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #36
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
This makes me think of the thread I started last month. Every year we have looked forward to the next or at least I have. We all knew this year would be special and it was.

The tournament path is everything we could have dreamed of and this is what happens. This is the sickest I have ever felt. I don't know how we even get excited about next year.

I think it's time to take a long break from thinking about UC basketball and just enjoy the spring and summer because man this hurts.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:57 AM   #37
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
This makes me think of the thread I started last month. Every year we have looked forward to the next or at least I have. We all knew this year would be special and it was.

The tournament path is everything we could have dreamed of and this is what happens. This is the sickest I have ever felt. I don't know how we even get excited about next year.

I think it's time to take a long break from thinking about UC basketball and just enjoy the spring and summer because man this hurts.
Yeah I won't be nearly as invested from now on. Just not worth it. We are just more comfortable losing in the 2nd round. No matter what.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #38
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
This was the most painful sporting event I have ever experienced, even with the long history of frustration in Cincinnati. It was worse than losing to UCLA in 2002, and worse than the Reds losing three straight at home in 2012. I'm not sure I'll be willing to watch any more of the tournament this year. I need a reset. Baseball season and the World Cup can't come soon enough for me. As tough as it is right now, I think what I said earlier still applies, and I'll be back next year with the same passion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
It brings up an interesting philosophical question of what do we want as sports fans? Most of my most vivid Bearcats memories are not tournament related. Melvin Levett vs Duke, Kenyon vs DePaul, Donald Little vs Marquette. Even some losses provided special memories, like Eric Hicks' missed three vs Villanova. Lots of exciting moments from tournaments where we didn't make a run too, like Bobbitt vs East Tennessee St, Caupain vs UConn. I think my college basketball fandom is due to the unpredictability of the sport, combined with getting to experience the full journey of individual players and squads. Although I'm always rooting for tournament success, I don't need it. In a single elimination format, having a superior team and a good game plan is no guarantee. I embrace the randomness. It's exciting.

In sports, it's always on to next year whether you win or not. Last year's final four teams are just as hungry for success as anyone else. I think the will to win is much more important than winning itself. A deep tournament run would be amazing, and would give us so many more great memories. But, personally, I don't need one to enjoy all the time I put into following the Cats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Our generally consistent upward trajectory is probably coming to an end. Although, we all thought the same thing after the 99-00 season. Kenyon failed to advance past the second round in his 4 years and we expected a big drop off with DerMarr and Mickeal leaving too. But then we went to the sweet sixteen for the first time in 5 years in 2001.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote