Gotcha.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #192
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I still think we are solid but the thing that worries me most is losing at WSU and sharing the title 3 ways. We get a 2 or 3 seed and have to play Houston or WSU in the semis. If we lose that game we become the 3rd best team in our conference. Ouch!!

How many protected seeds do you think the committee is giving out to our conference...lol? That would be a brutal situation but it's definitely not far fetched. I'm rooting for both Houston and WSU to lose one more game... hahaha
Well, getting the 1 seed also gives us the opportunity to lose to someone other than Houston or Wichita in the semis. Having a chance to beat them both would a plus. I think the draw is all kind of a wash, balancing ease of advancing with opportunity for both good wins and bad losses. Winning will be important regardless.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #193
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Well, getting the 1 seed also gives us the opportunity to lose to someone other than Houston or Wichita in the semis. Having a chance to beat them both would a plus. I think the draw is all kind of a wash, balancing ease of advancing with opportunity for both good wins and bad losses. Winning will be important regardless.
If we win out regular season I am not worried about losing to anyone in the tournament. I don't think it would change our seed.

If we end in a 3 way tie we would likely have lost to WSU twice and if we lose the semis to Houston...they would have beat us twice. That would affect our seeding.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:34 PM   #194
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
They say the only way conference tourney affects a seed is if you win. All the hard work has been done by that point for the committee. Even then it doesn't always change your seed if you win the conference tourney.

We could put some decent wins on the team sheet...but it's not likely to change our seed...but it could I suppose.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:47 PM   #195
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
They say the only way conference tourney affects a seed is if you win. All the hard work has been done by that point for the committee. Even then it doesn't always change your seed if you win the conference tourney.

We could put some decent wins on the team sheet...but it's not likely to change our seed...but it could I suppose.
I have never put much stock in popular opinion. There could be a reduced impact from conference tourney games, but in our case I think beating WSU and Houston would have a big impact. It would be our two biggest wins of the season.

Of course I would like to win out and grab the 1 seed. But I don't think getting the 1 seed as a result of Houston or Wichita dropping other games helps us at all.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:10 PM   #196
Zdiddy513

Zdiddy513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have never put much stock in popular opinion. There could be a reduced impact from conference tourney games, but in our case I think beating WSU and Houston would have a big impact. It would be our two biggest wins of the season.

Of course I would like to win out and grab the 1 seed. But I don't think getting the 1 seed as a result of Houston or Wichita dropping other games helps us at all.
I think a 2 is the best we can hope for at this point. The committee doesn't watch finals of our conference tournament because the selection show is on an hour after it finishes. Imo a 3 seed would be generous given our resume. Unless Broome begins to start and get major minutes this team has a well defined ceiling and that is the sweet 16.
Zdiddy513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 PM   #197
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

If there is a 3 way tie and we lose to one of them in tourney the committee has some choices to make for seeding. That choice is not there if we win out. We would get the highest seed in our conference.

In a 3 way tie with some extra tourney wins for Houston and WSU...we could all have very similar resumes.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 PM   #198
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

And by they...I am talking about committee members...not popular opinion.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:17 PM   #199
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdiddy513 View Post
I think a 2 is the best we can hope for at this point. The committee doesn't watch finals of our conference tournament because the selection show is on an hour after it finishes. Imo a 3 seed would be generous given our resume. Unless Broome begins to start and get major minutes this team has a well defined ceiling and that is the sweet 16.
He's talking about 1 seed in conference tourney.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:23 PM   #200
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdiddy513 View Post
By the way... the committee doesn't need to watch our tourney. I agree their work is done by that point. But they have also considered if the outcome of our tournament would change their seeding and if so...in which way. All they have to do is plug in the pre determined seed when the tournament ends.