Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
KJ's#1Supporter

KJ's#1Supporter is on a distinguished road
College Basketball Rule Changes

When do they meet to talk about things like the charge circle, shot clock, 3 pt line, # of TO, etc?

I'd like to see defensive 3 seconds as well. Learning how to play like that can really help players understand how to attack the basket and play with space around the perimeter.
KJ's#1Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ's#1Supporter View Post
When do they meet to talk about things like the charge circle, shot clock, 3 pt line, # of TO, etc?

I'd like to see defensive 3 seconds as well. Learning how to play like that can really help players understand how to attack the basket and play with space around the perimeter.
It would be one more thing for the refs to consistently **** up. LOL
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 20 minutes ago
Men's basketball is likely heading toward reducing its shot clock from 35 to 30 seconds, chair of NCAA rules committee tells @ESPNAndyKatz.

Thoughts?
It's a start. Not the only fix needed though imo.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
I'd like to see the hand check called more as well. If we are able to see freedom of movement for offensive players the game looks so much better and fluid.
the_one_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #5
IABearcat

IABearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
I'd like to see the hand check called more as well. If we are able to see freedom of movement for offensive players the game looks so much better and fluid.
Yup it's all about freedom of movement for me. I don't think the shot clock going to 30s will change too much gameplay wise.
IABearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/college...195658621.html

Looks like these changes are likely coming.

I'm not really in favor of reducing 2nd half timeouts to 3. Putting some of our views on Davis' unwillingness to call TO in the first half aside, I personally like saving some timeouts in case a game is real close down the stretch. Some first halves don't warrant needing to call two timeouts and in my opinion that might slow the average game down more because every coach now will call 2 timeouts in the first half. Teams don't always use all their timeouts in a game but I can't recall a game where a team doesn't use one they will lose if not used in the first half.

I'm also kind of iffy on the not allowing a coach to call a live-ball timeout. I get where if a player gets trapped its kind of unfair for a coach to call a timeout, but sometimes the player under duress can't get his hands in a position to call a timeout. And now such situations will be left in the hands of another player to call a timeout and with one less now down the stretch I could easily see situations where a not-so-bball IQ smart player calls a timeout in a situation where you don't really want to burn one. I'd rather have my coach seeing a play develop and knowing if there's a need to call a timeout than some of my players.

I do really like the 30 second shot clock and the extended no charge zone, although I think a more appropriate ruling should be once a player makes his move to the basket you can't step in and take a charge. I think the NBA uses this interpretation more. I've seen plenty of charges taken in the mid-range area so moving it out a foot won't change much.

As for more player movement freedom I'll believe it when I see it. That's still up to the discretion of the officials.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #7
BCM
Epic Member

BCM is an unknown quantity at this point
"and adjusting media timeout procedures." is the one that has me most curious. There most certainly won't be LESS of these, they need to get theirs somehow.
BCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #8
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
http://www.sbnation.com/college-bask...mittee-meeting
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #9
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
A shot clock reduction may cause Mick to ramp up his focus on defense even more. If he can make the other team waste a lot of time getting into their offense, it will leave virtually no time for them to get a good shot off.

I think we're hoping that the new rule speeds up our offense and gets us away from walking the ball up the court, but it might have the opposite effect of leading to us focusing even more on the defensive side of the ball.

Just a thought....lol....but I like the changes generally speaking. The game has become more boring than it once was....especially in Cincinnati. Anything to speed things up is a positive.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #10
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...fewer-timeouts

Looks like it is official

30-second shot clock
4 timeouts instead of 5, only three carry over to 2nd half
4 arc around rim instead of 3 for the no charge zone

Not really a fan of the reduced timeouts but I do like that if a timeout is called within 30 seconds of a media timeout it becomes the media timeout.