Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
2017-2018 AAC

Not sure if anyone has watched any of the NIT games but UCF is still alive and looking good in their games so far.

They've knocked off Colorado, Illinois State and Illinois to set up a semifinal match-up next week with TCU at Madison Square Garden. Obviously any success they have this postseason bodes well for the prospect of having a little better competition in the AAC next season (or at least the perception of them as a legit threat).

Johnny Dawkins is a pretty good coach who has that program on the upswing and UConn will have talent like always. I have to think SMU will still be somewhat strong and Sampson seems to have Houston on a steady climb.

Imagine if the AAC was a 4 or 5 team bid conference this season and our record finished the same. We'd have been a 3 or a 4 and not a 6.

So who has potential next season besides us to be a tourney team? Is it realistic to think UConn can make it back after this season? Does UCF have a legit shot if Taco stays (I think BJ Taylor is a Sr. but not sure)? Can Sampson have Houston in next season and is there another school out there on the precipice?

I think we all agree that we'd like to see UC play a little tougher non-conference schedule but for now we are in the AAC so the best way for us to better our SOS is to hope the programs in this conference are on the rise.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Bearcat2016

Bearcat2016 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Not sure if anyone has watched any of the NIT games but UCF is still alive and looking good in their games so far.

They've knocked off Colorado, Illinois State and Illinois to set up a semifinal match-up next week with TCU at Madison Square Garden. Obviously any success they have this postseason bodes well for the prospect of having a little better competition in the AAC next season (or at least the perception of them as a legit threat).

Johnny Dawkins is a pretty good coach who has that program on the upswing and UConn will have talent like always. I have to think SMU will still be somewhat strong and Sampson seems to have Houston on a steady climb.

Imagine if the AAC was a 4 or 5 team bid conference this season and our record finished the same. We'd have been a 3 or a 4 and not a 6.

So who has potential next season besides us to be a tourney team? Is it realistic to think UConn can make it back after this season? Does UCF have a legit shot if Taco stays (I think BJ Taylor is a Sr. but not sure)? Can Sampson have Houston in next season and is there another school out there on the precipice?

I think we all agree that we'd like to see UC play a little tougher non-conference schedule but for now we are in the AAC so the best way for us to better our SOS is to hope the programs in this conference are on the rise.
BJ Taylor is a sophomore and only getting better. Johnny Dawkins son will be eligible next season after transferring from Michigan. If Tacko returns I think they should be a tournament team. Their home court advantage last night was actually impressive.
Bearcat2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:04 PM   #3
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat2016 View Post
BJ Taylor is a sophomore and only getting better. Johnny Dawkins son will be eligible next season after transferring from Michigan. If Tacko returns I think they should be a tournament team. Their home court advantage last night was actually impressive.
That's great news, I did not realize BJ was Sophomore. I don't know enough about the makeup of some of these other team's rosters so I figured this would be a good place to gather that info and scout some of the other potential NCAA contending teams.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Houston loses Dotson. They have a couple JUCO guys coming in and a couple guys who aren't that highly rated. Not sure they'll be any better than this year.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Us and uconn should be the favorites. I'd put us ahead of them, just for the fact that half of them haven't played together or play much college. SMU and ucf should be in the next teir. Hope all make the tourney for the league.

I don't know if we'll go 16-2 again. That's hard to do in any league. If there are 4-5 decent teams, it's even harder
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #6
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
MY AAC NCAA Tourney Teams:

SMU: Should be good next year, probably not as good as this season. They gain Jamal McMurray in the second semester. Will compete for the league title again if Semi Ojejele stays.... Make NCAA Tourney

Cincinnati: Should be the favorite again to win the league. 3 returning starters. ......Make NCAA Tourney

UCF: if Tacko Stays (he should), they will have BJ Taylor, AJ Davis and Michigan transfer Aubrey Dawkins. Dawkins is a 6'6 JR with who shot 43% from 3 his Soph year. UCF will be scary good next year. They lose just 2 players and gain 3...... Bold prediction: NCAA Tourney

UCONN: If Kevin Ollie doesn't perform this year, they should fire him. He returns Terry Larrier, Gilbert, Vital, Vance Jackson, Durham, Enoch, Diarra, and then bring in a 4 star PG and 2 3 star guys.. I didn't even mention Jalen Adams, but Im thinking that he does return. And if he does, UCONN will easily have the most talented roster on paper. 7 4 star recruits. AND ZERO SENIORS..... NCAA Tourney

I Think we easily have a chance at 4 teams in the tourney. I really like UCF to make it. We might even have few on the bubble.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #7
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
I know I always rip Temple, but I don't think they lose anyone.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #8
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I know I always rip Temple, but I don't think they lose anyone.
Think we need a running list of who you rip. Temple, Frank Haith and Tulsa, then one just from last week I forget.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:46 PM   #9
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
SMU loses a lot if Semi leaves since Sterling Brown and Ben Moore are seniors. Shake Milton is an NBA talent, or at least he's on various draft boards for the 2018 draft, and McMurray is damn good.

I think UC is the favorite next season but honestly, if Tacko stays at UCF they won't be far behind. That team should make the tourney.

All in all, the AAC should be much better next season. UC, UCONN, SMU, UCF and Houston could all be tourney teams, or at least bubble teams with solid RPI/ metrics etc.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #10
RedlegZdid
Banned

RedlegZdid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
MY AAC NCAA Tourney Teams:

SMU: Should be good next year, probably not as good as this season. They gain Jamal McMurray in the second semester. Will compete for the league title again if Semi Ojejele stays.... Make NCAA Tourney

Cincinnati: Should be the favorite again to win the league. 3 returning starters. ......Make NCAA Tourney

UCF: if Tacko Stays (he should), they will have BJ Taylor, AJ Davis and Michigan transfer Aubrey Dawkins. Dawkins is a 6'6 JR with who shot 43% from 3 his Soph year. UCF will be scary good next year. They lose just 2 players and gain 3...... Bold prediction: NCAA Tourney

UCONN: If Kevin Ollie doesn't perform this year, they should fire him. He returns Terry Larrier, Gilbert, Vital, Vance Jackson, Durham, Enoch, Diarra, and then bring in a 4 star PG and 2 3 star guys.. I didn't even mention Jalen Adams, but Im thinking that he does return. And if he does, UCONN will easily have the most talented roster on paper. 7 4 star recruits. AND ZERO SENIORS..... NCAA Tourney

I Think we easily have a chance at 4 teams in the tourney. I really like UCF to make it. We might even have few on the bubble.
Tacko is being projected as a first round pick in a lot of mock drafts. Would be surprised if he didn't jump at that opportunity. With his height and build health is always a major concern.
RedlegZdid is offline   Reply With Quote