Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles

Old 09-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #321
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
It seems like we are in a tough position right now to sell recruits. A recruiting class with not a lot of quality bigs which would be our biggest selling point to a scoring threat.

We have 2 veteran PG's for 2 more years and now a new recruit in Johnson.

We have 2 veteran wings for likely 2 more years with Williams and Moore in the background.

I would LOVE to see a Harris commit and a quality wing right now but I don't think it's a given we can get it done by any means. I could see us rolling over 2 schollies but I hope we can get the job done and get at least 2 more quality guys. I could see us getting 1 quality guy and then waiting for spring to see what develops. Rolling at least 1 scholly but hopefully not 2.
I think worst case we would save 1 scholarship for the spring and not use the other one at all. I don't see Logan Johnson being the only guy in this class. After we have a great season, we could easily be in position to grab a good 4 in the spring. I also feel like you can never have enough wing depth. So if we get 1 player, I'd like it to be a 3 who can play a small ball 4. But if we get 2 guys, we could maybe get a true 4 and a combo type guard who has the length to play on the wing too.

It'll be interesting to see who the coaches pursue now that a few of the names we've heard recently are off the board. No matter how it shakes out, I'm pumped that we came out of the summer with a very good PG prospect.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #322
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It seems like we are in a tough position right now to sell recruits. A recruiting class with not a lot of quality bigs which would be our biggest selling point to a scoring threat.

We have 2 veteran PG's for 2 more years and now a new recruit in Johnson.

We have 2 veteran wings for likely 2 more years with Williams and Moore in the background.

I would LOVE to see a Harris commit and a quality wing right now but I don't think it's a given we can get it done by any means. I could see us rolling over 2 schollies but I hope we can get the job done and get at least 2 more quality guys. I could see us getting 1 quality guy and then waiting for spring to see what develops. Rolling at least 1 scholly but hopefully not 2.
We have our athletic bigs locked up. Guys who can get around the court and defend, rebound, and block. I would not say we have a lot of OBVIOUS offensive skill as of right now after this year. Yes...we do have some hope for Brooks and Diarra to be able to score at a reasonable rate...but perhaps not like Clark and Washington. Our biggest selling point is perhaps a skilled offensive big with not a lot of quality on the board in recruits this year.

We have 2 veteran PG's and a new recruit. A new PG recruit would likely have to wait at least 1 year to start and that's if he can beat Johnson out for the starting role. Some players would rather go somewhere where the road to playing time or starting seems a little more clear to them.

We have 2 veteran high quality wings and 2 guys who will have a year under their belt by the time a new recruit comes in. The veterans are studs and not exactly likely to leave for NBA after this year. A new recruit will likely have to wait one year to start and compete with guys like Williams and Moore as well.

Playing time is a hard sell for anyone that is not a high quality scoring big right now. It's not a perfect situation for our recruiting. I thought we could sell the new arena and always being in the dance...but most of these kids want to see a clear path to playing time. A confident player may not worry as much about it...but how many of those are out there?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #323
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
We have our athletic bigs locked up. Guys who can get around the court and defend, rebound, and block. I would not say we have a lot of OBVIOUS offensive skill as of right now after this year. Yes...we do have some hope for Brooks and Diarra to be able to score at a reasonable rate...but perhaps not like Clark and Washington. Our biggest selling point is perhaps a skilled offensive big with not a lot of quality on the board in recruits this year.

We have 2 veteran PG's and a new recruit. A new PG recruit would likely have to wait at least 1 year to start and that's if he can beat Johnson out for the starting role. Some players would rather go somewhere where the road to playing time or starting seems a little more clear to them.

We have 2 veteran high quality wings and 2 guys who will have a year under their belt by the time a new recruit comes in. The veterans are studs and not exactly likely to leave for NBA after this year. A new recruit will likely have to wait one year to start and compete with guys like Williams and Moore as well.

Playing time is a hard sell for anyone that is not a high quality scoring big right now. It's not a perfect situation for our recruiting. I thought we could sell the new arena and always being in the dance...but most of these kids want to see a clear path to playing time. A confident player may not worry as much about it...but how many of those are out there?
It's so crazy to think about Evans being around for 2 more years. That has to drive other AAC teams up the wall.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #324
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I think worst case we would save 1 scholarship for the spring and not use the other one at all. I don't see Logan Johnson being the only guy in this class. After we have a great season, we could easily be in position to grab a good 4 in the spring. I also feel like you can never have enough wing depth. So if we get 1 player, I'd like it to be a 3 who can play a small ball 4. But if we get 2 guys, we could maybe get a true 4 and a combo type guard who has the length to play on the wing too.

It'll be interesting to see who the coaches pursue now that a few of the names we've heard recently are off the board. No matter how it shakes out, I'm pumped that we came out of the summer with a very good PG prospect.
If we can nab 2 more quality recruits I will be thrilled! I don't care what position they play. PG, wing, PF...I really don't care as long as we get 2 guys who are not projects.

If we fill out the schollies at 13 with only one project I would be fine with that. If we get 2 quality guys and roll one over I am also okay with that. I don't want to roll 2 over or roll 1 over and land 1 project.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #325
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's so crazy to think about Evans being around for 2 more years. That has to drive other AAC teams up the wall.
I can only hope for our sake we get to see him play 2 more years but that is me being selfish. He is our best all around player along with Clark and if we can see him play 2 more years would be a treat. I agree with you...the rest of the league will not want to see 2 more years of Evans.

He and Clark are easily going to be the backbone of our defense this year!! No other starter will be in the same category on D. We have some bench players who should be very good on D this year.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #326
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
I can only hope for our sake we get to see him play 2 more years but that is me being selfish. He is our best all around player along with Clark and if we can see him play 2 more years would be a treat. I agree with you...the rest of the league will not want to see 2 more years of Evans.

He and Clark are easily going to be the backbone of our defense this year!! No other starter will be in the same category on D. We have some bench players who should be very good on D this year.
Let's hope Evans and Clark actually get recognized in the AAC Awards this year. I'll never get over the fact that we went 16-2 last year and we were treated worse than Houston. It seems like you'd watch the 16-2 team and try to identify which players were most responsible for making that happen. But no. Not in this conference. Sorry fellas!
Old 09-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #327
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Let's hope Evans and Clark actually get recognized in the AAC Awards this year. I'll never get over the fact that we went 16-2 last year and we were treated worse than Houston. It seems like you'd watch the 16-2 team and try to identify which players were most responsible for making that happen. But no. Not in this conference. Sorry fellas!
It's too stats related. All around is not a category unfortunately. Evans and Clark would be on the all around category no doubt. DPOY comes down to blocks almost entirely and offense comes down to points for the most part.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #328
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I actually am starting to think Logan Johnson IS going to be the only recruit in this class.

The bigs in this class suck so I don't expect a move on that end and I find it hard to believe a PG or CG will look at our roster and want to commit with all that depth. We'd have to nab a overlooked 3 star recruit and see how they turn out and I'd rather just not do that. Lets get a transfer or a really good 2019 class.

2018 Team:
PG Cane Broome SR
SG Cumberland JR
SF Jacob Evans SR
PF Tre Scott JR
C Nysier Brooks JR
Bench:
PG Justin Jenifer SR
G Keith Williams SO
G Trevor Moore SO
G Logan Johnson FR
F Mamadou Diarra SO
F Eli Nsesome SO

2019 Team
PG Logan Johnson Fr
SG Jarron Cumberland SR
SF Keith Williams JR
PF Tre Scott SR
C Nysier Brooks SR
Bench:
G Trevor Moore
F Diarra
F Nsesome

We really just NEED a PG for the 2019 class more than adding them now.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #329
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I actually am starting to think Logan Johnson IS going to be the only recruit in this class.

The bigs in this class suck so I don't expect a move on that end and I find it hard to believe a PG or CG will look at our roster and want to commit with all that depth. We'd have to nab a overlooked 3 star recruit and see how they turn out and I'd rather just not do that. Lets get a transfer or a really good 2019 class.

2018 Team:
PG Cane Broome SR
SG Cumberland JR
SF Jacob Evans SR
PF Tre Scott JR
C Nysier Brooks JR
Bench:
PG Justin Jenifer SR
G Keith Williams SO
G Trevor Moore SO
G Logan Johnson FR
F Mamadou Diarra SO
F Eli Nsesome SO

2019 Team
PG Logan Johnson Fr
SG Jarron Cumberland SR
SF Keith Williams JR
PF Tre Scott SR
C Nysier Brooks SR
Bench:
G Trevor Moore
F Diarra
F Nsesome

Scott will never be a starter but diarra will
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #330
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

2018 Team:
PG Cane Broome SR
SG Cumberland JR
SF Jacob Evans SR
PF Tre Scott JR
C Nysier Brooks JR
Bench:
PG Justin Jenifer SR
G Keith Williams SO
G Trevor Moore SO
G Logan Johnson FR
F Mamadou Diarra SO
F Eli Nsesome SO

2019 Team
PG Logan Johnson Fr
SG Jarron Cumberland SR
SF Keith Williams JR
PF Tre Scott SR
C Nysier Brooks SR
Bench:
G Trevor Moore
F Diarra
F Nsesome

It will be interesting to see what happens with Harris. Looks like his top 3 was ISU, UC and Colorado St. It looks like UC and ISU will have landed PG's so will Harris want to go to Colorado St? IDK.

If his top 3 is reality...I think we should still have a shot here.

Maybe we can get an under the radar wing or still sell a new arena and going to the dance every year? Rolling 3 over is not an option for me. There is always going to be competition on the roster for any new recruit. We can find playing time for any recruit worthy of it. We still have some things to sell.