Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-21-2016, 02:34 PM   #401
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidecat View Post
ok, i'll tell ya.

You have to be pretty damn horrible to not make it in this day of a water down tourney field.

Look at UC now, just one top 50 rpi win, no ap top 25 wins, and still in the field on ESPN bracket.

You think this resume would get in just 10 years ago?
Then how is it only 11 have done it. I also suspect the other 10 have a bigger operating budget and better facilities.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #402
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsladder@aol.com View Post
Not to mention recruiting isn't easy here either.
hopefully with our upgrades that will change.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #403
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
His recruiting classes are ranked 30 to 50 every year. His teams finish 30 to 50 every year. He only needs to finish in the top 68 to make the tournament. The only reason very few teams can do it over a stretch of 5 years is many programs consistently lose their top talent to the NBA and have to rebuild with young talent. Cronin is a weak recruiter. His recruits don't develop, but they do get older and more mature. Many teams who don't lose their recruits early, and who keep them for 4 years, often make deep tournament runs because of a combination of maturity and player development. Cincinnati gets maturity, but little development, so we never see deep runs, and are forced to be satisfied with this one little ability to pump our chests out and say....We're one of 11. In the big picture, making it to the 1st or 2nd round of the NCAA every year, after not ever winning your league or your conference tournament, is very insignificant. I don't know why anyone would be confused by this.

Great points about how there's many good teams who turnover talent and "rebuild" so to speak much more frequently than us. The fact that we're one of 11 to make the tourney is such an arbitrary stat. Xavier isn't on that list but is there any doubt their program has been a lot more successful than ours in the last 5 years? I'm pretty sure Kentucky isn't even on that list.

Can anyone post the actual list?? I bet I can name 30 teams not on that list who have been more successful than us over that same time frame.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #404
ucswais

ucswais is on a distinguished road
That list could be taking some hits this year. Here it is....

Kansas
Duke
Michigan St
Gonzaga
Wisconsin (in serious jeopardy)
Louisville
Ohio State (in serious jeopardy)
San Diego St (in serious jeopardy)
VCU (bubble)
Cincinnati (bubble)
North Carolina
ucswais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:01 PM   #405
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Great points about how there's many good teams who turnover talent and "rebuild" so to speak much more frequently than us. The fact that we're one of 11 to make the tourney is such an arbitrary stat. Xavier isn't on that list but is there any doubt their program has been a lot more successful than ours in the last 5 years? I'm pretty sure Kentucky isn't even on that list.

Can anyone post the actual list?? I bet I can name 30 teams not on that list who have been more successful than us over that same time frame.
you may be missing the point. What I'm trying to lead you to is this. From where this program was when Mick took over and with the budget, facilities and many other obstacles he has encountered to make a change now when we are about to eliminate some very big ones without allowing him the opportunity to operate on a more equal footing is not a a good plan in my opinion. He has not had a good season to this point. In a year when everyone was expecting a deep tourney run. (Which is still possible by the way) but to ignore the progress and circumstances he has overcome to this point is not something I would do and I suspect is not something the BOT would do. If they do I will still attend games and cheer for my favorite team regardless who is coaching. To minimize his progress and accomplishments and make a change would be a mistake.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #406
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucswais View Post
That list could be taking some hits this year. Here it is....

Kansas
Duke
Michigan St
Gonzaga
Wisconsin (in serious jeopardy)
Louisville
Ohio State (in serious jeopardy)
San Diego St (in serious jeopardy)
VCU (bubble)
Cincinnati (bubble)
North Carolina
very nice company we are keeping there.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #407
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Lol!....and, if all else fails we go back to old faithful....operating budget and facilities. I'll bet you when Huggs took over this pathetic program in the late 80s, our operating budget was far below where we are today comparatively speaking. But, a true phenomena occurred. Huggs actually recruited good players, and then the 2nd phenomena occurred....he actually developed them and made them better players, and then the 3rd phenomena occurred, he took us on a number of deep NCAA runs, and then a 4th phenomena occurred, people started showing up to games and selling the crappy facility out, and the 5th phenomena occurred....the administration increased ticket prices and UCATS fees drastically, and the 6th phenomena occurred....the fans didn't care because our program took over the city and the state and we were bonkers with Bearcat basketball, and the 7th phenomena occurred....along came national TV wanting us on their network every week, and along came Michael Jordan wanting us to wear his uniforms, and so on and so forth....and we were able to increase budgets and improve facilities and get MacDonald's All-Americans and National Player of the year and get invited into elite basketball conferences with bigger and bigger revenue potential.....and then Mick came along.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #408
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

UCBearcats, just for fun I'll wager you dinner at Mio's and a ticket to a game of your choice in 2018 if Mick is fired before we play in the upgraded facility.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #409
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I think the point some people are making is that our coach is not "horrible".

Others are making the point that they expect higher standards.

Both of these things can be true and reasonable.

I don't think we have to bash any coach or player because they don't meet certain standards. If it was that easy everyone would be doing it. In fact...even if we happen to move in a different direction with coaching...I would be willing to shake Cronin's hand and thank him for the time and effort he put into our program.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #410
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
when we were Scoring 70 points and losing were you any happier? I want to win. He needs to figure out based on his players abilities how to get that done.
I would argue we lost the 70 pt. games (Butler & Iowa State) because we slowed it down the last 5 minutes, i.e. reverted to walking ball up the court and waiting til last few seconds to take a bad shot or turn it over.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote