Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

View Poll Results: Will UC win against UCF?
Yes 1 4.17%
No 23 95.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Central Florida

Game is Saturday night at 8 PM on ESPNU.

We are +14.

UCF 41
UC 17
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Just an observation/comment on the topic of Fickell getting adjusted to head coaching duties:

-Situational decision making...We were down 31-7 and scored a TD about 1 minute into the 4th quarter. Why didn't we go for 2? We elected to keep it at a 3 possession game and make it 31-14. Then again when we scored to make it 38-21, we didn't go for 2. Why not? Why keep it at 3 possessions? It didn't end up mattering in this game. But we were right at the goal line at the end of the game. What if we would've scored with 30 seconds left? We wouldn't have had a chance to make it a 1 score game, with a potential onside kick and couple plays before a shot at the end zone type situation. Fickell was talking about making our own breaks...well doesn't that sort of thing qualify? Not going for 2 on 2 different occasions would've been a really silly reason to not have a shot at the end had we scored. Those kind of little things make me a little nervous.

-We also had the ball down by 24 with I think 8/9 minutes left. Our defense was worn out. We weren't stopping them. So when we had 4th and 6 at around our own 48, why did we punt? Why weren't we thinking in terms of "we need 3 TDs and the 2 pt conversions and we have 8 minutes to do it?" We already had the ball, so why give it back? If we pick up 6 yards there, we could be in position to cut it to 2 scores by the 6 minute mark. Instead we got the ball back with 5 minutes left, still down 3 scores...and again, we didn't even go for 2 when we did score.

I know we had a minuscule chance to win the game there. But we didn't do the things necessary to even give it a shot. I just don't understand it at all. Weird stuff happens in college sports all the time...but if you're losing you gotta swing for the fences and "make your own breaks". I mean, once we're down 24, who really cares if we fail on a 4th down or don't get a 2 point conversion? We're screwed anyway, so what's the difference if going all out makes it worse?

We are so early into all of this. There's really no sense in getting bent out of shape about it. Just have to hope it improves. But there's something in the back of my mind that worries about Fickell's in-game decisions. He seems to be a rockstar in every other facet. And that's great. But I just don't really get how we came to the decisions that we did on these plays in the 2nd half. And I don't know why that's something that would have to be learned. I just hope any of these kind of things don't cost us down the road, when we're hopefully competing for conference titles.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:04 AM   #3
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
no
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
no
?
Old 10-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
?
It was early, I was still asleep and i replied to the poll instead of actually voting.
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
It was early, I was still asleep and i replied to the poll instead of actually voting.
Hahaha well write-in votes are certainly acceptable.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Pretty incredible the turnaround that Scott Frost has made at UCF. A team that won a Fiesta Bowl in 2013 and went 0-12 as recently 2015.

We don't stand a chance if we play like we played against Marshall. Most concerning about that game was it felt like in the second half our D played with little effort. Reality is they were probably just gassed from spending the entire game on the field but it didn't look good.

This staff needs to make some adjustments. We didn't do it against Navy and we didn't do it against Marshall. Time to shake some things up.

UCF - 44

UC - 28
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #8
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Just an observation/comment on the topic of Fickell getting adjusted to head coaching duties:

-Situational decision making...We were down 31-7 and scored a TD about 1 minute into the 4th quarter. Why didn't we go for 2? We elected to keep it at a 3 possession game and make it 31-14. Then again when we scored to make it 38-21, we didn't go for 2. Why not? Why keep it at 3 possessions? It didn't end up mattering in this game. But we were right at the goal line at the end of the game. What if we would've scored with 30 seconds left? We wouldn't have had a chance to make it a 1 score game, with a potential onside kick and couple plays before a shot at the end zone type situation. Fickell was talking about making our own breaks...well doesn't that sort of thing qualify? Not going for 2 on 2 different occasions would've been a really silly reason to not have a shot at the end had we scored. Those kind of little things make me a little nervous.

-We also had the ball down by 24 with I think 8/9 minutes left. Our defense was worn out. We weren't stopping them. So when we had 4th and 6 at around our own 48, why did we punt? Why weren't we thinking in terms of "we need 3 TDs and the 2 pt conversions and we have 8 minutes to do it?" We already had the ball, so why give it back? If we pick up 6 yards there, we could be in position to cut it to 2 scores by the 6 minute mark. Instead we got the ball back with 5 minutes left, still down 3 scores...and again, we didn't even go for 2 when we did score.

I know we had a minuscule chance to win the game there. But we didn't do the things necessary to even give it a shot. I just don't understand it at all. Weird stuff happens in college sports all the time...but if you're losing you gotta swing for the fences and "make your own breaks". I mean, once we're down 24, who really cares if we fail on a 4th down or don't get a 2 point conversion? We're screwed anyway, so what's the difference if going all out makes it worse?

We are so early into all of this. There's really no sense in getting bent out of shape about it. Just have to hope it improves. But there's something in the back of my mind that worries about Fickell's in-game decisions. He seems to be a rockstar in every other facet. And that's great. But I just don't really get how we came to the decisions that we did on these plays in the 2nd half. And I don't know why that's something that would have to be learned. I just hope any of these kind of things don't cost us down the road, when we're hopefully competing for conference titles.
Yeah, the not going for two is mind boggling to me why he wouldn't. Almost have to wonder if he was just unaware, which if so is inexcusable. Got to wonder what role his assistants and other coaches are playing in-game. If it's overwhelming to him maybe he needs to delegate some duties.

Regardless, this team won't win games as bad as this offense is. He seems dead set on not only a pass first offense, but a pass to the sideline at the line of scrimmage mentality. Not only has this proved completely ineffective, our QB simply can't make that throw. The defense is playing up on the receivers and even when Moore completes the pass, it's met quickly for an easy tackle and a no gain. College football has seen so many gimmick offenses that can put up 5-600 yards a game and somehow we can't figure out how to play north and south in our passing game. It's frustrating to watch and unfortunately I see no way it changes this year.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #9
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Pretty incredible the turnaround that Scott Frost has made at UCF. A team that won a Fiesta Bowl in 2013 and went 0-12 as recently 2015.

We don't stand a chance if we play like we played against Marshall. Most concerning about that game was it felt like in the second half our D played with little effort. Reality is they were probably just gassed from spending the entire game on the field but it didn't look good.

This staff needs to make some adjustments. We didn't do it against Navy and we didn't do it against Marshall. Time to shake some things up.

UCF - 44

UC - 28
I would be astonished if UC scored 28 points...I was thinking more like 3 or 10...13 max
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #10
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post

UCF - 44

UC - 28
On the radio in the 4th quarter, Jim Kelly said the defense was just gassed. He said that multiple times. I'm hoping that's all it was.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote