Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 02-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #211
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
I hear a lot of guys worried about other schools like Memphis or Houston. You all are forgetting one thing, its all about money $$$$. UC is almost a sure thing due to our market. Our metro region is a gold mine for the Big 12/TV companies.

Remember, Rutgers didn't go to the Big 10 for their outstanding athletics and academics. They got in bc the Big 10 wanted their market exposure.

Schools like Memphis lack in that dept. It's a smaller market. Big 12 doesn't want to expand in Texas with Houston. Why would they? I just hope it happens sooner than later.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #212
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
I hear a lot of guys worried about other schools like Memphis or Houston. You all are forgetting one thing, its all about money $$$$. UC is almost a sure thing due to our market. Our metro region is a gold mine for the Big 12/TV companies.

Remember, Rutgers didn't go to the Big 10 for their outstanding athletics and academics. They got in bc the Big 10 wanted their market exposure.

Schools like Memphis lack in that dept. It's a smaller market. Big 12 doesn't want to expand in Texas with Houston. Why would they? I just hope it happens sooner than later.
The B12 did expand in Texas last go round taking TCU. Who knows what they will do, the leadership has been going back and forth and cannot find common ground.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #213
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
Not so Sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post

If it comes down strictly to TV market size, they will choose USF and UCF, as their market size is much larger then Cincy.
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:02 AM   #214
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
If it comes down strictly to TV market size, they will choose USF and UCF, as their market size is much larger then Cincy.
Houston and Temple also have much larger markets -- not that I think Temple is in play or that TV markets are the end-all, be-all. I like our chances, but I'm more worried about UConn and BYU than USF, UCF, or anyone else.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:47 AM   #215
bearcat8290

bearcat8290 is on a distinguished road
I think we are in the top two for expansion into the Big 12. However, things could change. We have many advantages including our facilities and location. Most football teams in our conference do not have their own football stadiums. Teams like Temple, Memphis, USF all have leased arrangements. Others do not have a basketball arena which also includes Memphis, UConn plays half of games in city arena in Hartford and others are too small. I also have to wonder why all of a sudden UC changed it's course from a remodeled 5th 3rd arena capacity of 10.5K to 12K? Was that because UC sees the Big 12 train coming?
bearcat8290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #216
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
It only comes down to market size if they start their own network. If the decision to expand comes along with the announcement of their own network I'd be very concerned about USF and UCF taking spots.

However, if they decide to start their own network and also decide to expand I wouldn't be shocked to see them expand to 16 teams. At that point why not expand as much as possible and get your network in as many markets as you can?

I think the most likely scenario would be expansion of 2 schools for the immediate future and a re-negotiation of their current TV contracts. If that's the case I still think we're one of those 2 teams. Our brand is worth much more to the networks and the Big 12 than USF or UCF's are.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:45 AM   #217
UT4Big12

UT4Big12 is on a distinguished road
Have you guys read this?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...g-12/80280488/

Just wondering what is going on with Cincinnati. Does Ono know something the rest of us in the Big 12 don't?
UT4Big12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:56 AM   #218
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT4Big12 View Post
Have you guys read this?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...g-12/80280488/

Just wondering what is going on with Cincinnati. Does Ono know something the rest of us in the Big 12 don't?
I hope Ono knows something we don't lol. But this def shows he is doing everything in his power to better our university. It's nice to see him care so much and be proactive.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #219
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
I still think the Big 12 is stupid. Oklahoma still plays @Oklahoma State, then vs TCU in back to back weeks. THEN the Big 12 title game later. It's going to be so hard to have a 0 or 1 loss champion.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:22 AM   #220
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Yeah going on the fourth year, and looking like they won't be getting anyone in this year, al though could definitely still happen, just doesn't seem likely to me at this point. Four years, and only 1 appearance. They're definitely doing something wrong.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote